2019 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they’re not coming in with anything less than 65 cm. I caught a beautiful blue/green ling last week. Good girth but only 52 cm long. Had to go back unfortunately.

Any news of catches of halibut off of Epsom recently?

I know where big lings live but was hoping I’d find some inside the Pender Harbour / Secret Cove box so I don’t have to go to the Broughtons or elsewhere

I know where big lings live but was hoping I’d find some inside the Pender Harbour / Secret Cove box so I don’t have to go to the Broughtons or elsewhere
By the time someone reports a spot with decent lings - they're not going to be any left there. They stick close to their own reef, so if you catch the big ones, you'll have to wait a year or two for the young ones to grow big enough. Or if the big spawners are caught, that reef is **** out of luck. Like most of Howe Sound / Vancouver waters - no breeders to repopulate.

By the time someone reports a spot with decent lings - they're not going to be any left there. They stick close to their own reef, so if you catch the big ones, you'll have to wait a year or two for the young ones to grow big enough. Or if the big spawners are caught, that reef is **** out of luck. Like most of Howe Sound / Vancouver waters - no breeders to repopulate.

That’s very true. Hopefully people are leaving the juveniles to grow bigger.

When is the best spring fishing and where abouts? Have headed out and consistently been catching 10-12 Ibs but wondering if they will be getting any bigger soon

Was out off Upwood for the afternoon, trolled white needle nose hootchies and a 6 inch plug the plug had the most action but I was also fishing it deeper than the side with the hootchy stack, was looking for coho. They both had good action but the plug hit more , was down from 166 to 110 but had it up high and had s good fish on at 60 feet. Quite a bit of action not as much as some previous trips. Two other boats one was jigging off the reef and looked to be pretty active. Nice late afternoon early evening troll.

Was out off Upwood for the afternoon, trolled white needle nose hootchies and a 6 inch plug the plug had the most action but I was also fishing it deeper than the side with the hootchy stack, was looking for coho. They both had good action but the plug hit more , was down from 166 to 110 but had it up high and had s good fish on at 60 feet. Quite a bit of action not as much as some previous trips. Two other boats one was jigging off the reef and looked to be pretty active. Nice late afternoon early evening troll.

This is great, thanks for the post. I will be in that area from 7 am through the afternoon Monday and Tuesday so if you see us pass by throw a wave our way. I tend to stay north east of upwood to decent results and j just love that area. Cheers

Thanks for the report.! Be up there for a week starting sunday! I will post any worthy updates.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back