2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marked a lot of bait and fish in West Van but we got no bites in 2 hours. The red crap is definitely a problem. Decided to pull up and move to Bowen around 1:30. We were into fish within 5 mins of dropping gear. In 3 hours we hooked 2 legal and 3 undersized chinooks and 2 wild and 1 hatch coho. We also lost 3 fish closer to boat. All fish caught on the Ace Fly hootchies in 40-70’ of water.

It was a pretty quiet day on the water as we saw only 3 other fishing boats. Can’t remember not seeing other boats fishing the Ambleside or west van flats in the 2nd week of July. We were the only boat out there this morning and didn’t see any on our way back in the evening.

Last edited:
Get ready for bumper boats come monday morning its going to be like the shark derby scene from Jaws in area 16 and the northern chunks of 29. Can't wait!

I am crossing my fingers that we're open, but there is strong indications from DFO that they plan to announce extension of the closures using the Fraser River Slide as the justification. Continued zero retention is worst case, possibly hatchery only and a a new maximum size limit being talked about. This isn't a scientific management approach as we know the Chinook stocks concern are supposed to be out of the marine areas, that's why these areas were scheduled to be re-opened to retention. This is being done to appease Fraser River First Nations demands. The direction to this is coming top down from Prime Ministers office to Wilkinson to the DFO.

Call your MP and MLA a let them know how angry you're about this discussion taking place after the 3 month closure!

Well wouldn't that be a slap in the nuts. It will be interesting to see how the weekend unfolds and I will be watching the announcements as I head up the Straits Sunday mid day. Regardless I'm going to enjoy the trip, poke around some of those bays that have typically held coho this time of year, and hope things stay status quo into the July regs.

I completely agree that anything is possible so I'm prepared for all outcomes.

Size limit makes zero sense as the data shows its the larger chinooks that are making it through the slide.
Actually, if true, that may be the only thing I've heard from DFO that makes any sense at all. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I believe the suggestion was that there may be a maximum size limit, which would mean larger fish that could make it up past the slide would have to be released.

Actually, if true, that may be the only thing I've heard from DFO that makes any sense at all. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I believe the suggestion was that there may be a maximum size limit, which would mean larger fish that could make it up past the slide would have to be released.

This is my understanding as well.. Although it is rare that they do make a logical decision like this.

I guess that's true. Might as well hammer the small ones that aren't going to make it and leave the bigger ones to spawn.

Got a bit more information. It appears it'll be open to 1 Chinook Hatchery or wild under 80 centimeters. The bad news is it looks like Thrasher will be outside of this opportunity. Formal announcement will be coming out this afternoon.

Got a bit more information. It appears it'll be open to 1 Chinook Hatchery or wild under 80 centimeters. The bad news is it looks like Thrasher will be outside of this opportunity. Formal announcement will be coming out this afternoon.

Is this until further notice or is there a date when it reverts to what we were previously expecting?

That equates to a 12-14 lb fish
not good news at all but better than a closure.

Ok, that kills the theory that DFO might do something logical for a change. I can't imagine that hatchery fish of any size are of concern in terms of not making it past the slide in the Fraser. So, once again, this makes no sense.

Ok, that kills the theory that DFO might do something logical for a change. I can't imagine that hatchery fish of any size are of concern in terms of not making it past the slide in the Fraser. So, once again, this makes no sense.
The way to read this is 1 Chinook Hatchery or 1 wild under 80 cm.

That equates to a 12-14 lb fish
not good news at all but better than a closure.

Except for the guys that feel handling fish kills them, what are they going to do now, how are you going to determine a 78cm fish from a 80cm fish without handling it quite extensively, some maybe can, most will be man handling those fish beyond reason. For a conservation move this makes zero sense. They are playing games people that’s all they are doing. This is a severe abuse of power and nothing else. Facking morons !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back