Angler protest in Victoria

porcupine

Angler Protest
Where? – Ogden Point Breakwater
When? – July 15th, 2019 at 9:00 AM
On July 15th the BC Coast opens for the retention of Chinook Salmon. Meanwhile the straight of Juan de Fuca remains closed. It has been asked of Minister Wilkinson and DFO “Why we can’t retain a hatchery marked Chinook?”, with NO REPLY. It’s time we let the government know how important this public fishery is to all of us. Please show up in your boat, kayak, canoe or whatever floatation device you have. Attendance is critical and without your support we fail!
The message is dead simple
“Why can’t we retain a hatchery marked chinook”?
Make a sign! Media will be there!

To the top

Just a couple of pics from today. Not the greatest quality but I'm not much of a camera man. Didn't get permission to take or share these so hopefully it's OK. The fish was caught/released at the boat just before the protest started. Hopefully it will be waiting for me on Aug-1st.

IMG_6042.JPG IMG_6052.JPG IMG_6054.JPG IMG_6058.JPG IMG_6060.JPG IMG_6064.JPG IMG_6069.JPG

Just a couple of pics from today. Not the greatest quality but I'm not much of a camera man. Didn't get permission to take or share these so hopefully it's OK. The fish was caught/released at the boat just before the protest started. Hopefully it will be waiting for me on Aug-1st.

View attachment 46302 View attachment 46303 View attachment 46304 View attachment 46305 View attachment 46306 View attachment 46307 View attachment 46308

You have done the fishing community up and down the coast a great service thanks you sir

Well done guys. We had more boats than I ever expected. Got real busy down in harbor when Coho came in. Dam good job to all organizers and Island Outfitters, lets hope somebody, wakes the F-up and changes no sense rules and allows us 1 hatch starting July 15. Definitely watching news tonight.

HM

I had a well known member of the Vancouver guiding community tell me that he is going to vote conservative for the first time every.

If Horgan can get on board with a hatch selective fishery then the federal liberal government should as well. I think they are making a poor calculation on this one.

View attachment 46302 View attachment 46303 View attachment 46304 View attachment 46305 View attachment 46306 View attachment 46307 View attachment 46308

I am suprised Rollie has such a polite sign. Good job everyone. Feeling guilty for not making it. I hope some of our comrades from up island came down to lend support.

So crazy to see what has happened this area. I hope things change.

You have done the fishing community up and down the coast a great service thanks you sir

I was just a participant, like so many others out there this morning and it was great to be a part of. The credit goes to the organizers who made it possible. They have my thanks and appreciation for what is often a thankless job. Kudos to all of them.

Just wanted to say a huge thankyou to all of you at the prorest and tbose not but are behind the scenes. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Tbrough all this BS and seeing the Sunny ways of this pathetic management not seeing any end in sight. Having to travel an hour just to get my boat wet plus $$$ into the economy for nothing and dealing with illness i sold my entire show. Hook line boat n sinkers. All of it. Gone.
Thankyou you Liberal Liars. Your not fooling all of us. You cheats!

Ive donated upwards of 10,000 bucks to the economy per year for too many years to count to recreational fishing. Im dam near 60 had boats since 16 years old. 9 in total.

Today unable to make the protest i fished with my dad of 85 years young on his home built boat . it was a great day to share more time on the water together. Only bonked 2 hatch hos but released about 15 spring mostly just under. 2 gooders were long line released lol.

Vote the Liberal Liars out in October. They are truly pathetic.

Jerrod hard to read what my sign says on cameras...lesson learned for next time. One side said: DFO Save Wild Chinook.... Hatchery Chinook Save Jobs , The reverse side said: A Gill Netted Wild Salmon Is A Dead Wild Salmon

Saw the news coverage last night, great to see Horgan comment in favor. Nice work all involved your voices were heard, fingers crossed they cut all you folks a break down that way.

Jerrod hard to read what my sign says on cameras...lesson learned for next time. One side said: DFO Save Wild Chinook.... Hatchery Chinook Save Jobs , The reverse side said: A Gill Netted Wild Salmon Is A Dead Wild Salmon

Its OK you guys did fine. Can't imagine guiding in this situation right now. I thought the media coverage was fair and this time with no air time to other NGO groups for a change. I thought Tom Davis comments where good an the video Gary C. posted on you tube.

Great work everyone!
I just wish there was a BIG way to promote all the hard work done everywhere in B.C. by all the volunteer groups.
We somehow need the general public (non-Angler’s) to know what is done by the non profit enhancement groups - mostly done by Angler’s and future Angler’s.
Without drawing attention in a Big Way, we are just a bunch of takers in the minds of the non-Angler’s.
My 2 cents
Stosh

Back