So what are your plans for the 15th?

Rain City

Crew Member
I planted the seed with the wife and will hopefully be taking the day off to hit up Thrasher. I'll be getting all my reels re-spooled before then and installing my new fillet table. My rigger setup is dialed now so I'm all good there. I can't ******* wait!!!

Been playing C&R, I will not be off beachy head on opening bumper boat days. Probably will not be able to park within a 2km radius of marina. Good luck for those who will play.

HM

I planted the seed with the wife and will hopefully be taking the day off to hit up Thrasher. I'll be getting all my reels re-spooled before then and installing my new fillet table. My rigger setup is dialed now so I'm all good there. I can't ******* wait!!!

Will be a long boat ride for 5 mins of fishing before you are tubbed out!

YOU should all be going to the protest at the Victoria waterfront lots on here asked for it so here is your chance solidarity in numbers...

65933946_2749591851735708_1745207811236691968_n.jpg

YOU should all be going to the protest at the Victoria waterfront lots on here asked for it so here is your chance solidarity in numbers...

Can someone please post the details of the protest on the 15th? I can't seem to find them anywhere, and this is the first I have heard about it.
Has someone started a long buried thread? If so we should bring it to the top, if not we should have one.

Oh :(. I had no idea. Sorry guys. Little far for me but good luck out there!

Will be at protest as retention opens 1 Aug in my neck of ocean. Reason for protest, beachy head should already be open but no reason to remain closed past 15 July except Libs wants votes from dumbed downs

HM

Will be at protest as retention opens 1 Aug in my neck of ocean. Reason for protest, beachy head should already be open but no reason to remain closed past 15 July except Libs wants votes from dumbed downs

HM
can we get some details on it hm?

I do not have any more details than are on here. There is all kinds of stats, evidence that opening JDF will have no ill effect of the Fraser chinook yet DFO refuses to change the opening, (at least as of today). Protest may not get opening but it will get some press time. My boat will be off the breakwater at 0900 on 15 July, media will be taking photos so more boats, people the better.

HM

I do not have any more details than are on here. There is all kinds of stats, evidence that opening JDF will have no ill effect of the Fraser chinook yet DFO refuses to change the opening, (at least as of today). Protest may not get opening but it will get some press time. My boat will be off the breakwater at 0900 on 15 July, media will be taking photos so more boats, people the better.

HM
I'm looking for details of the protest, from your reply, 0900 till? Off the breakwater on the 15th there will be some sort of flotilla protest?

I found the notice from @porcupine in the conservation thread.
Angler Protest
Where? – Ogden Point Breakwater
When? – July 15th, 2019 at 9:00 AM
On July 15th the BC Coast opens for the retention of Chinook Salmon. Meanwhile the straight of Juan de Fuca remains closed. It has been asked of Minister Wilkinson and DFO “Why we can’t retain a hatchery marked Chinook?”, with NO REPLY. It’s time we let the government know how important this public fishery is to all of us. Please show up in your boat, kayak, canoe or whatever floatation device you have. Attendance is critical and without your support we fail!
The message is dead simple
“Why can’t we retain a hatchery marked chinook”?
Make a sign! Media will be there!

After reading the protest posts, it seems kinda selfish to talk about fishing on the 15th. It sucks you guys have to travel to retain even a hatchery Chinook. Give 'em hell! Hope you get a good turnout.
It will be crazy at the Westview ramp, so I have arranged for moorage for the week. The ramp has a pretty small parking lot & it fills up very early in prime time. Gonna be nuts for a week at least. I'm lucky to be able to avoid the mess.
I've had plenty of time to do some upgrades on the boat & trailer & we are raring to go.
Hope the fish are still around!
We will be heading for Mystery or Grants reef to avoid the worst of the crowds.
Good luck to all.

I will be at the breakwall on the 15th. Was at Sherwood last night picking up fuel filters and they had it posted on the parts counter.
I understand the significance of the date but it's tough for a lot of people to get out of work.......I sure hope there is a good turnout.

We are the type of people that can get out of work on a whim. When the wind is light to go fishing.

You just have to make it possible. The protest in Vancouver all the tackle shops shut there doors and brought all their employees.

Would very much like to be there, but absolutely cannot get out of work. Hope many of those who can attend do - we need a strong turnout to send a strong message! Just need to be very careful what we say to the media. They will be out to twist our words to make a story.

Not meaning to scare everyone, but DFO is seriously looking at extending the closures or going to hatchery only in some of the areas that were scheduled to open on Monday. There reasoning is the Fraser River Slide. Decision will be coming out today or tomorrow.

I strongly recommend you contact your MP, MLA and local media to emphasize how important these areas are to opening on Monday!

Back