Status
Not open for further replies.
What a fantastic 3 days of fishing in Sooke. Wow the weather was incredible. No wind, calm seas and tides were pretty good. I am honestly loving these new regulations. I just wish we could keep 1 hatchery Chinook, makes sense to me. I also wish the rules were a little better for the guides. Yes the C & R fishery is definitely hurting business, guides etc. But it will definitely help save the fishery. They should have started this in the 50's, 60's when there was 60-70 lbers around. Then we wouldn't be in this mess. Personally I am glad everyone is staying home. Nice to have a flat calm ocean to myself. I started changing my fishing habits about 3 years ago. So this was not a complete shock to me. Its about the experience and adventure that draws me to fishing. Getting up early, seeing the sunrise, flat calm water and not knowing what to expect for the day. That's 60% percent of the trip, catching fish is a bonus and awesome. Seeing that hit, seeing the line peeling out of your hands, not knowing how big it is that's the rush and 30% of the trip if it happens, last 10% is the benefits of catching fish is eating an awesome meal with family and friends talking about the adventure and fishing experience you had today with beers and wine.

Reports: Friday awesome day, 8 / 12 on springs, fishing four rods all day. Two with spoons and the other two with cut plug herring. Totally awesome. had a double header on one side of the boat, Cut plug herring just screaming line, while I had the other rod in my hands. Dropped that rod to play the cut plug, felt like a really good one. Long line release, got back to the other one, lead touch, released 12 lb spring. Gear back down, BANG other side cut plug herring goes off another good one, play it for a bit, BAM gone, get that one down, troll for about 1o minutes, both spoons go off. One is quick and gone the other one is leader touched and 10 lbs spring. Then trolled for about 1 hours nothing, trolled out a bit deeper and went a bit deeper with the lines. BAM triple header, all coho, all leader touches it was a gong show, 2 wilds coho and 1 smaller hatchery released. Got everything back down in about 10 minutes, trolled for about 3o minutes spoon goes off, wow super tug and pounding, but not really pulling any line, its a fish for sure, heavy, does a big of a run and then comes to surface. So I know its a coho or a pink. Leader touch biggest pink I have ever since it was like 12-14 lbs, Fat little pig he or she was. That was awesome a beautiful fish. Fished for about 3 more hours and had single hook ups of coho and springs in the 3-8 lb range.

Saturday: Another beautiful day. 6 / 8 on springs, biggest leader touched was 18 and 12 lbs, rest were 3-8 lbs. No Coho today. Had some huge hits and runs and long line releases. Dolphin show out there, must have been 50 at least.
Saturday night: What an incredible night with a buddy. We went 4 for 4, biggest 18 lbs and 10 lbs, had some really awesome fish on. long line releases.

Sunday with Buddy: 7 / 13 on springs had some really nice fish on. One was for sure over 20lbs. We had some pin poppers and we bury our clips so if it pops its 100% over 15 lbs. Best day on the water, Sun, HOT, CALM, NO WIND. You can't get better weather. Fishing was awesome in the morning till about 11am and then it dead off, went for coho nothing.

Rating for this trip:
Overall experience and Adventure: 5 Stars
Weather: 5 Stars
Fishing: 3.5 Stars

Cost of trip: PRICELESS

Truly someone that enjoys the experience, thank you for the input and perspective. Yes, nothing wrong with C&R fishing been doing it for years out our way, your truly enjoying it for the fishing and enjoying nature.

Good report enjoyed reading it.

Reactions: cby
What is this ?

A “leader touch” is considered a landed fish. For those that choose not to exercise their legal right to actually land a fish and then release it. It’s all good regardless of what your choice is.

Yesterday I went fishing with my youngest (10) who insisted we should do a family derby. The prize list for these 'derbies' is so long that it is impossible to not win something.
We fished Otter Point from 3pm to 6 pm. Seems we missed the calm part of the day because we had white caps and choppy water. But it wasn't that bad at all. Only 4 boats out there and most of them left when we came. I dropped the lines and immediately caught a little lingcod that came off at the boat. Later I caught another little hatchery feeder spring (5lbs). My son started complaining that I was getting all fish. Few minutes later his rod went off at 3rd rock. He got a nice 16 lbs hatchery spring with my support that pulled some line. With that fish he won the categories: biggest fish, biggest salmon and biggest hatchery. That made his day! :)
Wished we could keep hatchery springs.

I’m a member of a few of these outdoor forums from across the country. 90% of them and all of the larger ones “DO NOT” allow anybody to make negative comments or degrade anyone for conducting themselves legally. They had to go that way or risk everyone leaving the site. 1st time your given a suspension 2nd your done. I think it’s getting to the point on this forum the Admin will have to look at it. This is a fishing forum with people posting their fishing experiences, shame on many of you. I haven’t seen any abuse of fish on this forum, none, just the abuse of fellow fisherman.

"Wildmanyeah" is there a numbers quota on those FN fisheries or is it catch as many as you can in time allotted?

C&R on it own will not save the fishery. The more we let through the more others can and will take. All the fish we allow to pass from now until the 15th will have to run the in river net gauntlet as it takes them about that long to travel from area 20 to where the in river fisheries are conducted. Nice to know that all the sacrifice intended to better our fisheries and provide more food for the SRKW's in the near future....won't.

Renfrew (Area20-1 and 20-2) is open on July 15th, Sooke (Area 20-3 to 20-7) and Victoria (Area19) is July31. I had to look it up on the fisheries site,not easily done.

Last edited:
So when you fish for bonk salmon and catch only shakers you stop fishing? No net, fish never left water and most were coho not chinook and released correctly, yes stats say some mort. My point is if we are only fishing to kill a chinook probably fishing for wrong reason. Just me saying. When you fished all over North America for bass, Perch, Pickerel, Muskie, billfish, snapper, East Coast Tuna or whatever did you bonk it all or fish to enjoy the experience?

HM
If I’m into shakers I move. You said “7 HOURS of shakers”.Those little guys don’t stand a chance. I’m personally involved with the rearing of those fish so I have a vested interest. A marlin I refuse to kill, those beauties are guaranteed survival. Tuna/dorado I take home to eat. My other questions?

Sorry for derail admin

What is this ?
Hey Scott,

Leader touch is a term used in tarpon, marlin and Blue fin tuna fishing. If you touch the leader it's considered a netted fish or caught fish. It is then safely released. Never touched a net or boat. Kept in water. It's a great way to compete with your buddies. Instead of weight use # of leader touches regardless of size. Single barbless hooks are used, not pinched barbs actually barbless hooks. They are awesome. It makes it fun instead of sitting around complaining about what's going on around us. Let's change and work with the rules that were given and enjoy while we still can!

Reports: Happy Canada Day! Have the fish a day off to enjoy the holiday.

Victoria and sooke opens Aug 1

10 Chinook a year coastwide.
Renfrew is 2 a day and opens July 15
but one a day Victoria and Sooke when it opens Aug 1?
Someone please clarify one or two a day when Victoria - Sooke opens.
And will Sheringham west be closed?
I understand Otter - Muir will be open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back