Five Nations Multi-species Fishery Management Plan 2019/20 - Salmon, Groundfish, Crab and Pra

SARA is only 1 process - and it doesn't engage fisheries management very well. The courts did not rule that SARA is the only way to conserve.

The plan is to have the Indians run the west coast fishery. All aspects. Period.
Actually my idea to solve the management issues would be very similar to that. So instead of reallocating quotas from various user groups to FN we should reallocate the fishery management mandate from the DFO to FN. That would be true reconciliation. The only catch is that the fishery management should differentiate only between two user groups: public fishery and commercial fishery. No other user groups! And there must be only one set of rules for each user group.
I bet the FN would be happy to have control over the fishery management again. And at the same time there wouldn't be any segregation between FN and public anymore. This would solve many problems, the black market fishery would dry up, no gill-netting in the Fraser anymore etc. because the FN would want to stop it then.
It is just an idea but I think this could work.

Actually my idea to solve the management issues would be very similar to that. So instead of reallocating quotas from various user groups to FN we should reallocate the fishery management mandate from the DFO to FN. That would be true reconciliation. The only catch is that the fishery management should differentiate only between two user groups: public fishery and commercial fishery. No other user groups! And there must be only one set of rules for each user group.
I bet the FN would be happy to have control over the fishery management again. And at the same time there wouldn't be any segregation between FN and public anymore. This would solve many problems, the black market fishery would dry up, no gill-netting in the Fraser anymore etc. because the FN would want to stop it then.
It is just an idea but I think this could work.
Think that one through very carefully. I would think that if fisheries management was handed to FN two other user groups will be gone just before the rest of the salmon. All groups need to be accountable. True reconciliation in my mind would be a concensus based board with members from all three user groups working toward a common goal.. enough fish for all.

Think that one through very carefully. I would think that if fisheries management was handed to FN two other user groups will be gone just before the rest of the salmon. All groups need to be accountable. True reconciliation in my mind would be a concensus based board with members from all three user groups working toward a common goal.. enough fish for all.
The underlying idea is to not (!) have 3 user groups anymore. FN and Non-FN fall under the same rules for either public fishing or commercial. That's why I referred to reconciliation. FN get back the control over this natural resource under the premise we use it as a homogeneous group. No segregation anymore.
So e.g. if there would be a gillnet opening in the Fraser then everyone could go gillnetting. For exact that reason there would be no such opening anymore. And it would come from the FN to stop it because it would be detrimental to the Fraser salmon stocks.

Back