Rod - Emergency Float?

SaltyAlice

I was lucky enough to receive a gorgeous engraved Peetz reel for my birthday and I am looking at ways to ensure it doesn’t ever end up occupying Davey Jones’ locker. Losing a TR3 would be expensive put losing an engraved reel with sentimental value is irreplaceable. I love the action on it and want to use it frequently but am looking for some sort of emergency float that I can attach to the rod. Ideally it would be some sort of small Ironman-esque torpedo that magically auto-Inflates if submerged. I’ve looked at lanyards but I don’t want something tangling up when fighting and netting a fish.

So, has anybody seen anything like this out there? There appear to be small rod floaters but I don’t think they are going to keep larger saltwater rod/reels afloat.

I have tied leashes to my rods in the past. Six foot light string tied to the downrigger ( old downrigger braid would work perfectly) with an easy to untie knot, so you can be free if you want too, but novice proof just in case. I haven't had an incident where it was needed yet, but it gives me peace of mind.

i’ve thought about this often. i too am a bit paranoid about this. i used to have scotty orca rod holders and they could open up on you if you don’t run the port rod holder upside down.switched to strikers now i don’t worry about it. i don’t put tods in my d/r boom mounts anymore. not happening.

what about fashioning a loop of paracord on your rod and then having a lanyard fixed somewhere on your boat, say on your rigger base or something and then you can simply unclip the lanyard hardware from your paracord loop when you get a fish on and boom you’re free with no tangles?

i’ve thought about this often. i too am a bit paranoid about this. i used to have scotty orca rod holders and they could open up on you if you don’t run the port rod holder upside down.switched to strikers now i don’t worry about it. i don’t put tods in my d/r boom mounts anymore. not happening.

what about fashioning a loop of paracord on your rod and then having a lanyard fixed somewhere on your boat, say on your rigger base or something and then you can simply unclip the lanyard hardware from your paracord loop when you get a fish on and boom you’re free with no tangles?

Solid idea! I may give this a shot :)

I was lucky enough to receive a gorgeous engraved Peetz reel for my birthday and I am looking at ways to ensure it doesn’t ever end up occupying Davey Jones’ locker. Losing a TR3 would be expensive put losing an engraved reel with sentimental value is irreplaceable. I love the action on it and want to use it frequently but am looking for some sort of emergency float that I can attach to the rod. Ideally it would be some sort of small Ironman-esque torpedo that magically auto-Inflates if submerged. I’ve looked at lanyards but I don’t want something tangling up when fighting and netting a fish.

So, has anybody seen anything like this out there? There appear to be small rod floaters but I don’t think they are going to keep larger saltwater rod/reels afloat.
Okay, so I do not want to hijack the thread, but it does relate (and anytime we can laugh at our own decision-making...). About 15 years ago, my wife and kids and I were tacking the area by Lone Tree during the Alberni Salmon Festival. The back rod hit, I grabbed it, set the hook and played it for a few seconds when I must have had some sort of neural explosion because the whole rig flew out of my hands out the back. Time slowed and all I thought was ...Favourite Peetz reel...so I jumped in after it :). It was always just a few feet away and was slowly descending as I swam after it. Being the safe boater, I was wearing my bulky bomber-style PFD and couldn't get under enough as it sank. It wasn't until I gave up the chase (not a happy ending:() that I looked up to realize I was in the middle of a flotilla of boats and lines and lures...and our boat was slowly tacking away from me. Thank goodness I have crew with more sense than me. In addition to spare rods and reels, I now include spare clothing because it was certainly not warm for the next few hours being in the derby and all.

Okay, so I do not want to hijack the thread, but it does relate (and anytime we can laugh at our own decision-making...). About 15 years ago, my wife and kids and I were tacking the area by Lone Tree during the Alberni Salmon Festival. The back rod hit, I grabbed it, set the hook and played it for a few seconds when I must have had some sort of neural explosion because the whole rig flew out of my hands out the back. Time slowed and all I thought was ...Favourite Peetz reel...so I jumped in after it :). It was always just a few feet away and was slowly descending as I swam after it. Being the safe boater, I was wearing my bulky bomber-style PFD and couldn't get under enough as it sank. It wasn't until I gave up the chase (not a happy ending:() that I looked up to realize I was in the middle of a flotilla of boats and lines and lures...and our boat was slowly tacking away from me. Thank goodness I have crew with more sense than me. In addition to spare rods and reels, I now include spare clothing because it was certainly not warm for the next few hours being in the derby and all.

Hahahaha! That’s amazing! Also, kudos to you. Also also, I expect many of us would do the exact same thing for our favourite gear.

I found this bit of kit but it is a manual trigger to inflate it. I’ve emailed them to see if they have considered making an auto-inflate version. Could be an interesting market for them.
http://www.kingii.com/

Back