2019 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the 0 and minus tides this coming week how will Clutesi be for launching? Would you be off the concrete? Never been there at that low of a tide.

I would think so, plus the river would be running hard.
If it was me I would be launching a hour after tide change
or going 3 hours before low tide.. its light between 4-4:30 am

Fishing very slow. Approx 100 fish caught this week on the water. July 15 review of the run size. Odds are full closure unless a large run shows up.

Attachments

• Sockeye bulletin # 6.pdf
    172.1 KB · Views: 83
Rec fishery will remain open. We haven't even approached the allowable catch, and with the current conditions sockeye are not holding up in the inlet, they are running direct to the river...so won't be much risk a continued rec fishery will impact the run. I haven't even bothered with sockeye fishing this year because a lot of good sockeye producing anglers are simply not getting them. Better to focus efforts out in Barkley Sound for Chinook this season and forget sockeye.

Rec fishery will remain open. We haven't even approached the allowable catch, and with the current conditions sockeye are not holding up in the inlet, they are running direct to the river...so won't be much risk a continued rec fishery will impact the run. I haven't even bothered with sockeye fishing this year because a lot of good sockeye producing anglers are simply not getting them. Better to focus efforts out in Barkley Sound for Chinook this season and forget sockeye.

I agree with the comment on focusing in Barkley, however I disagree with the comment about sockeye running straight to the river.

The Somass is a **** trickle for this time of year and about as warm as one too. Last weekend when sitting where Sproat lake drains into the river - counter ZERO fish coming up the river after 20 mins... that’s not good! Would usually see them passing under us by the hundreds in that time frame

Escapement is probably 50k, If that?

This is just another example of a totally mismanaged fishery by DFO. What was once a healthy robust fishery adding to the PA economy is now at a critical level. Why?
Because Dfo unleashed the gillnets, the seiners and allowed netting of the river year after year on the stocks, simply using the “excuse “ there are enough fish in the river. There is no sugar coating this mismanagement.

Mismanagement is too kind a word. This is a DFO sponsored massacre. How is it that fishing (or netting) is allowed until mid season returns are so critical it is then closed.

Should fishing not be closed until a sustainable return is reached and then allow the nets to be strung across the river?

2 or 3 more years of this and the run will be history.

Have talked to DFO in the past in Port Alberni about letting a head of fish through the counters before anyone is allowed to touch them.
The response given was aloof as if they know better and you don't know what you are talking about.
It unfortunately all boils down to local politics and common sense is not going to sway them.
It no longer angers me .I just shake my head in disgust especially when you see the barrage of nets that are at times in the river.
Not allowed to net? Well, no problem.
We'll just go with our boats to a pool just below a narrowing of the river and throw out treble hooks and snag like crazy.
DFO nowhere to be seen. They know this goes on but as I said it's all local politics.
How do I know? I live here and see it with my own eyes.

We'll just go with our boats to a pool just below a narrowing of the river and throw out treble hooks and snag like crazy.
DFO nowhere to be seen. They know this goes on but as I said it's all local politics.
How do I know? I live here and see it with my own eyes.[/QUOTE]

I was at the pool you mentioned the other day watching the snagging going on during the "no netting" period. It was hard to watch. Disgusting. Does anyone know if they have a legal right to do this? It went on for many days. All during a time when there is great concern that the escapement numbers are much too low.

I was at the pool you mentioned the other day watching the snagging going on during the "no netting" period. It was hard to watch. Disgusting. Does anyone know if they have a legal right to do this? It went on for many days. All during a time when there is great concern that the escapement numbers are much too low.

I would welcome increased enforcement on the water. This behaviour is wrong no matter the ancestry of the "fisher". Some one needs to step up for the fish.

Talked to a local FN and they are rubbing their hands together waiting for the springs to show up. A person I know called the local fisheries guys about the natives snagging in the river and he said “we know, we just haven’t made it down there yet”. It’s a 5 minute drive from the goddamn office. It’s a total joke.

If you look at the Test fishing results from 2018 there was almost no Jacks caught, This year there has been a lot of jacks caught. So If you believe in using jacks as an indicator of what next year will bring its looking good.

Once again, trying to keep reports pages on track. Plenty of discussion regarding all the controversial stuff going on in the Conservation section if you want to discuss further.

Time to put the sockeye season to bed. Few springs being caught 9 mile to 10 mile point. 35 ft on anchovies. Hug the shore line early AM. Lots of bait in the inlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back