Towing Trucks

I towed my 24' lifetimer with a titan, it was okay until I hit a 100k and the boat started swaying. Upgraded to a duramax and no problem with swaying and no problem uphill.

No one is arguing diesels make better tow vehicles in every way. The question comes down to how much are you willing to pay for better towing performance? I see a lot of people paying huge bucks for that performance that don't need it and can't really afford it. If a gas pot can tow my boat and the savings let me have a nicer boat I know what choice I will make every time.

Trailer set up? Has more to do with Titans independent rear coil over suspension vrs a solid axel on rear leafs on the 3500's. The 1 ton trucks butt stays planted while the half ton trucks at 100km will start to wander. You get a nice soft ride with the half tons when not towing, but give up the feeling of being planted to the road when towing.

Picked up a new to me 2015 F350 6.7 XLT with lots of extra bells and whistles and importantly a 11500 gvwr, camper package and a backup camera. Had to fly to the interior and drive back to Victoria on the Friday of Canada day long weekend but surprisingly drove right on the ferry. Managed to negotiate in a set of Torque Lift Tie downs which I'm installing this morning before loading up our new to us Lance 830 (sticker weight 2500 wet), without a slide but with an extra pop-out bed to sleep our son.

Thanks for all the advice, passed dozens of you guys traveling safe and a few who didn't listen to your advice with campers and trailers behind both dual and single rear wheel trucks. Went Single Rear wheel as the GVWR for 2011 and up Ford and Chevy's 1 tons are really good as are 2013 and up Rams. Would have liked the extra security of DRW but wanted a short box for in town and even for road trips. Going to go slow and enjoy the view with the new truck. Son was already in it at 5am this morning with a huge smile on his face. Boys and their toys! I'll be listing lots of stuff for sale to try and get the line of credit down on this bad boy!

Picked up a new to me 2015 F350 6.7 XLT with lots of extra bells and whistles and importantly a 11500 gvwr, camper package and a backup camera. Had to fly to the interior and drive back to Victoria on the Friday of Canada day long weekend but surprisingly drove right on the ferry. Managed to negotiate in a set of Torque Lift Tie downs which I'm installing this morning before loading up our new to us Lance 830 (sticker weight 2500 wet), without a slide but with an extra pop-out bed to sleep our son.

Thanks for all the advice, passed dozens of you guys traveling safe and a few who didn't listen to your advice with campers and trailers behind both dual and single rear wheel trucks. Went Single Rear wheel as the GVWR for 2011 and up Ford and Chevy's 1 tons are really good as are 2013 and up Rams. Would have liked the extra security of DRW but wanted a short box for in town and even for road trips. Going to go slow and enjoy the view with the new truck. Son was already in it at 5am this morning with a huge smile on his face. Boys and their toys! I'll be listing lots of stuff for sale to try and get the line of credit down on this bad boy!

Good choice, that truck will handle that camper with ease, no need for duals with that size of camper.

That’s a neat camper. I like the pop out idea. Does it take up much space inside when the pop out is tucked away?

I just did the haul from Vic to Port Hardy and back with a Duramax and trailer equipped with electric over hydraulic brakes. For a portion of the trip i got stuck behind a Titan pulling a Grady. So frustrating to be behind a truck and trailer that cant hold its speed. All the reasons/excuses not to buy a diesel can be tossed out the window and run over as you watch that diesel in the uphill passing lane drive by your struggling gaspot.
Duramax all the way

That’s a neat camper. I like the pop out idea. Does it take up much space inside when the pop out is tucked away?

Nope it is pretty slick wouldn't even notice it was there if you didn't see the two locking outside handles. Didn't look at too many campers but was sold on the room in this lance, the weight and the idea of still having space when the kid is down.

Crawling under the truck again tonight to finish mounting the torklift belly bars.

Was close on a 2012 Duramax up in Kamloops with 250km and set up for a 5th wheel. Great buy for someone.

Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 ltr 24v diesel. Older ones. These trucks are beasts! Won't even know your towing....

Last edited:
Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 ltr 24v diesel. Older ones. These trucks are beasts! Won't even know your towing....

Except when you have to do the front end every 10,000k, nope hard pass.

make sure to use howes diesel additive in every tank, or stanadyne keeps everything lubricated especially the injectors.

An additive is a good idea. Did the previous owner use one? I use Motorcraft PM-22 specifically for the lubrication properties (fuel pump).

Back