2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of ways to fish a naked hootchie.

Squid devil
wiggledisc
macks smile blade

All give some action

These also apply to fishing Grand Slam bucktails.

Catching a fish without an inline flasher is more fun. If you search on this forum you will find lots of this info.

Back to the reports

HB

I have not had much success with lures recently ((howe sound 2/3 times a week evenings) and read reports about dummy flashers and running lures/hootchie naked so thought to experiment with it. Ran one line prior trip with a pink squirt and dummy flasher. Got the idea catching sockeye previous yr and thought it might be a way to target pinks this year. I was blown away when I caught one under chinook when I was just about to give up testing. So this past weekend tried it again. But with a different color. Well those 5 hits have me convinced there is something to this! Challenge to fishing is all about thinking outside the box. Not going to worry about why it works. Just happy it is. Oh I do enjoy sharing cause that is what this website is all about!
Tight lines :)

Great day out at CRC today. Found the magic just off the lighthouse fishing at 80’ in about 150-200. All fish on herring aide and also white hootchie. In 3 hours we limited on hatchery coho while releasing 3 nice chinook and about 6 wild coho.

Great day out at CRC today. Found the magic just off the lighthouse fishing at 80’ in about 150-200. All fish on herring aide and also white hootchie. In 3 hours we limited on hatchery coho while releasing 3 nice chinook and about 6 wild coho.
Hi, where is CRC? Sorry, rookie here.

The Lettuce at Roger Curtis made fishing tuff today. Had a couple coho on that were both lost.

Agreed. The salad was a pain. I dragged a dogfish for far too long as well despite fishing shallow. Not our night but landed 1 hatch.

Yea, agreed about the salad out there today, although it seemed the coho were hiding under it...every time we were in the weeds, the fish we're biting.

Last edited:
I apologize if this is in the wrong spot, I'll move it if so. New to the area and salmon fishing in general. Are there any books you all would recommend to get someone started on where to fish up there? The further south the better as I'll be launching in either Bellingham or Blaine, WA, but I could run as far as Thrasher Rock if the weather cooperates. I have a couple buddies flying out to fish with me first week in August, and I would love to get them on some fish. Unfortunately my area (San Juan Islands) is closed in August. In return I'd be MORE than happy to share some spots in the San Juans if anyone decides to come this way, I'll be hitting it 2-3 days a week for the next month! Thanks in advance.

I apologize if this is in the wrong spot, I'll move it if so. New to the area and salmon fishing in general. Are there any books you all would recommend to get someone started on where to fish up there? The further south the better as I'll be launching in either Bellingham or Blaine, WA, but I could run as far as Thrasher Rock if the weather cooperates. I have a couple buddies flying out to fish with me first week in August, and I would love to get them on some fish. Unfortunately my area (San Juan Islands) is closed in August. In return I'd be MORE than happy to share some spots in the San Juans if anyone decides to come this way, I'll be hitting it 2-3 days a week for the next month! Thanks in advance.
Just keep an eye on this forum and you should get all the information that you require. Also you can go back to previous years reports and see where the fish have been in August. Also, pacific angler sends out an email report every Friday which is always a good read.

Just keep an eye on this forum and you should get all the information that you require. Also you can go back to previous years reports and see where the fish have been in August. Also, pacific angler sends out an email report every Friday which is always a good read.
Appreciate the response. I work overnights so I spent a good portion of the night reading through the 2018 reports, some great info in there! I’ll check out the pacific angler thing.

On a side note, it’s nice to see how open and helpful people on this forum are. Down here people are REALLY tight lipped about stuff and don’t really help each other out. I’ve taught more people than I can remember how to bass fish, and given countless others advice on spots and techniques back home. Hoping I can contribute on this forum in the near future as well.

Appreciate the response. I work overnights so I spent a good portion of the night reading through the 2018 reports, some great info in there! I’ll check out the pacific angler thing.

On a side note, it’s nice to see how open and helpful people on this forum are. Down here people are REALLY tight lipped about stuff and don’t really help each other out. I’ve taught more people than I can remember how to bass fish, and given countless others advice on spots and techniques back home. Hoping I can contribute on this forum in the near future as well.

Will send you a PM this week some time

Might head out tomorrow early. Anyone else? Saturday looks better but I'm itching to try my new rigger setup.

I'm planning on fishing Thrasher in the next week but have never fished that area before. I'd like to try some lingcod jigging and salmon trolling. Does anyone have any tips on things to expect when fishing there?

I don't expect anyone to give out their secret spot but any tips such as what to expect in terms of current and tides would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back