Shovel Nose Louie

Thanks so much. Really nice. I think Rex Field is our best chance at a commercial production for the future.

A loud knock on my door followed by a hoot led to my welcoming CC, my old ex-rower, into my humble abode.
He was carrying a plastic tote within which I could see several plugs and a big reel.

"Whatcha got there?" I asked.

He started laying out plugs after showing me his new reel, a large multiplier that would be great for Halibut, and in excellent condition.
Said he paid 15 bucks for it.

"Check these out." he exclaimed. "Got them all for two bucks each."

Indeed, each plug had a two dollar price tag on it.

"Where did you find these?" I asked.

"Salvation Army Thrift Store." came the answer.

Here's what he got.

Three......Lyman plugs in perfect shape.......very shovel-nosed-like and 5 1/4" long.
Four........Lyman plugs is used condition.....Very shovel-nosed-like and 5 1/4" long.
One..........Lyman plug in great condition.....Very shovel-nosed-like and 6 1/4" long.
Two..........Wooden glass eyed plugs (Unknown brand) one at 5 1/4" and one at 5 1/2", decent shape, not shovel-nosed.

10 plugs in total at two bucks each.

Some guys..................................:D

Here's a couple of pics, the first showing the difference between shovel-nose and the glass-eyed plugs.

RSCN5776.JPG RSCN5779.JPG RSCN5780.JPG

Test results will be known in a couple of months or so. :D

Take care.

You just never know. I just picked up three more Lucky Louie shovelnose plugs. Totals 14 now. With this amazing weather, it feels like we should already be out rowing.

Shovelnose.jpg

This pic gives a good look at how much a shovelnose plug differs from a regular and/or Chinook style plug.

Note pronounced curve along edge of nose.

If it's not like that it's not a Lucky Louie shovelnose.

Hope this helps a bit for identification purposes.

Take care.

Shovels were actually only made from 1949 to 1952 before Minser moved from Seattle to Chinook Washington. If you are fortunate enough to find an untouched one in the box it will always be a Seattle marked box.
Finally saw a Seattle Louie Box today. Different.

A little off topic but while looking through an old tackle box of plugs this one was different.
Says Barclays 2 Pat 1928 about 2 inch body, hollow.

Attachments

• 95C4B3FF-CB0C-4FB8-96CB-F96790F2D647.jpeg
    95C4B3FF-CB0C-4FB8-96CB-F96790F2D647.jpeg
    607.8 KB · Views: 75
  • B06A7338-0C4D-4C85-9F6D-0325F351E722.jpeg
    B06A7338-0C4D-4C85-9F6D-0325F351E722.jpeg
    335.1 KB · Views: 69
Nice old lure. There is a short mention of them in Van Egans Tyee Club book. Regardless of condition it is worth a bit.

Shovels were actually only made from 1949 to 1952 before Minser moved from Seattle to Chinook Washington. If you are fortunate enough to find an untouched one in the box it will always be a Seattle marked box.
Which box style did the shovelnose come in, the blue box or an earlier style? The Seattle marked box I saw predated the blue box. Was the blue box ever produced in Seattle, or only Chinook, Washington?

Which box style did the shovelnose come in, the blue box or an earlier style? The Seattle marked box I saw predated the blue box. Was the blue box ever produced in Seattle, or only Chinook, Washington?
Blue box. Lots of blue boxes from Seattle.

Need more pictures. Side profile. Length. Writing on plug.
Something I forgot to mention if you have the box, is what it says on the box end. I returned one plug to a seller who advertised his plug as a shovel when it was really just a Wee Louie. The seller's pictures avoided an end picture of the box which would have made it clear that it was a Wee Louie and not a shovel. The plug was returned at the seller's cost.

Just looked it is a wee louie Haha, still a cool little plug.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190624-201343_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20190624-201343_Photos.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20190624-201401_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20190624-201401_Photos.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 22
Back