Lighthouse 14 oz mega bite jigs

pennel

Was wondering if you could troll these on the bottom of a downrigger.
Looking for a chance to troll them for halibut at 200 feet.
Reason I ask is thatI am not sure if the weight of the lure would mean that it would be hanging down on the bottom instead of being horizontal behind the down rigger.
Any help appreciated,can’t find any info on this on the internet.
Thanks

Was wondering if you could troll these on the bottom of a downrigger.
Looking for a chance to troll them for halibut at 200 feet.
Reason I ask is thatI am not sure if the weight of the lure would mean that it would be hanging down on the bottom instead of being horizontal behind the down rigger.
Any help appreciated,can’t find any info on this on the internet.
Thanks

I would think you’d have success with a slow troll with the swim tail lures they have but doubt you’d want to try it with the mega bite jigs. I don’t have either though so can’t be certain.

Those look too heavy in the nose end to troll successfully maybe better bouncing them off bottom on a slow drift-spectra fibre line makes that much easier than previously.

i’ve had good luck with those things trolling for lings going with the current so you don’t get the blow back. good way to cover ground. i crimp a 4” piece of 130lb mono to the bottom tow ring with a treble hook set near the tail. hookup success went way up. lings are notorious tail nippers. haven’t tried them for hali in this way but i suspect it would work

Back