2019 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget that the Washington catch record card cannot be printed online. You can order it online or go to a licensed dealer. I don't know how quickly they mail them out. Also look at the map of closures for Marine Area 7. If you are fishing up north you shouldn't have a problem, but if you run from Victoria to the south end of San Juan Island you will want to watch out for the closure starting at Salmon Bank and going east.

You should probably carry your passport (or Nexus card if you have one) and you should make a few phone calls before you go just to confirm everything you find on the internet.

First call U.S. Customs and tell them what you plan to do. Even though the U.S. regulations read as if you shouldn't have to clear with them, the local officers sometimes will come up with unexpected reason why you need to check-in. I often leave from Washington and fish Canada. The local customs officers say that if I'm bringing a fish back into the country I need to check-in. I've had different officers refer to the fish as goods, or merchandise, or "a thing acquired outside of the U.S." Fortunately, they have programs available to dispense with the face to face meeting at Roche Harbor or Friday Harbor. It used to the I-68 program where you could get a pre-clearance that was good for a year, you just had to call a certain number upon re-entry into U.S. waters. Now they have the CBP ROAM app for android and Iphone. After you install the app and input your traveler information you can submit an application for a trusted traveler number. From that point on, whenever you enter the US you submit the trip through the app and they will either clear your entry or do a video chat. They do have the option of refusing entry or telling you to go the nearest port. The I-68 program and CBP ROAM app are available to U.S. and Canadian citizens.

Second, call the Canada Border Service Agency and chat with them. I've talked to CBSA a few times about northbound trips. They usually defer to whatever is on the website. Here's the website addressing boaters clearing customs. https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html The exceptions for re-entering Canada say you do not need to clear customs if you didn't land, more, etc. But, it does say embark or disembark people or goods. You should confirm with them that catching a fish is not "embarking" "goods." Common sense says no, but I can imagine an officer coming to a different conclusion. Easier to check ahead of time and make sure.

Third, call DFO. If you get stopped on your return trip with a couple fish on board and the season is closed in BC, are they going to make trouble for you. This has been a problem for Americans fishing in Canada and returning with fish. Salmon fishing in Washington is closed more months than it is open, and it is rare that we get to keep a chinook with an adipose fin. Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife has a online registration for U.S. anglers going to Canada intending to bring fish back. You might want to check with DFO and see if they will have any problem with your fish if they stop you on the water or at the boat launch.

Finally, depending on your plans you might call the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. If you are just coming across to fish, you have a valid license, and comply with the different rules, you should be fine. But, for example, if you stop along the way in BC and catch a lingcod, then run over to Washington to fish for Chinook, the WDFW might write you up for having an illegal fish on board (lingcod is only open May 1 to June 15 in WA marine area 7).

One last thing. Start a Washington Marine Area 7 fishing report thread. Everybody down here is tight lipped about where they are fishing (go look at bloodydecks). It would be nice to have some Canadian style fishing reports and a good group of people adding to it.

Good luck!

Thanks for all of the advice. Seems like a lot of work just to catch (and retain) a fish but I imagine that once you have the process dialled in, it won't be too bad. Also, I have a Nexus card that should make any reporting much easier. I can also take advantage of the fuel price at Roche Harbour. I will do some more research and post. I imagine that there will be a number of fishermen in the Victoria/Sooke/Renfrew areas that could just as easily cross the line to take advantage if it doesn't involve actually clearing customs at a dock.

Thanks for all of the advice. Seems like a lot of work just to catch (and retain) a fish but I imagine that once you have the process dialled in, it won't be too bad. Also, I have a Nexus card that should make any reporting much easier. I can also take advantage of the fuel price at Roche Harbour. I will do some more research and post. I imagine that there will be a number of fishermen in the Victoria/Sooke/Renfrew areas that could just as easily cross the line to take advantage if it doesn't involve actually clearing customs at a dock.

I call the customs offices once or twice a year to ask about their current procedures or run a "what if" past them. Some people might not bother, but I like to at least know what they expect me to be doing. After that it is pretty painless. Nexus makes it even easier. See https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/marine-maritime-eng.html You have to call, but you shouldn't need to report to designated port as long as everyone on board has Nexus. Even without Nexus, I think the U.S. Customs side of things should be pretty simple for you with the CBP ROAM application.

Went out to Sidney for the first time in years.The Tulista ramp parking is so frustrating,parked a good 1/2 mile away,must drive people nuts waiting for owners to pick up their boat.I thought I would jig so started at James and got 2 about 3 pounds and one 10+ then moved to the spit,nothing happening.Years ago I did well jigging Shag Rock so I went there and things haven't changed.The first fish was a 20 and the last was about 17.My wife said that she didn't like that I would be catch and releasing before we went out and I had mixed feelings about it too,but I've really missed getting out for salmon and halibut fishing isn't great with all the dogfish around.It was a beautiful day with hundreds of boats (not fishermen) out enjoying the weather.If not for the ramp parking I'd spend more time out that way,calm water,great scenery and good fishing at times.

Went out to Sidney for the first time in years.The Tulista ramp parking is so frustrating,parked a good 1/2 mile away,must drive people nuts waiting for owners to pick up their boat.I thought I would jig so started at James and got 2 about 3 pounds and one 10+ then moved to the spit,nothing happening.Years ago I did well jigging Shag Rock so I went there and things haven't changed.The first fish was a 20 and the last was about 17.My wife said that she didn't like that I would be catch and releasing before we went out and I had mixed feelings about it too,but I've really missed getting out for salmon and halibut fishing isn't great with all the dogfish around.It was a beautiful day with hundreds of boats (not fishermen) out enjoying the weather.If not for the ramp parking I'd spend more time out that way,calm water,great scenery and good fishing at times.
I went out at 04:30 this morning and there were no parking issues ;)
5A2A27B2-3153-4BA9-9099-D47E79473840.jpegCB5876FC-9FD1-4BAC-97DA-D42CC5768028.jpeg

Where’s shag rock?

South of Cole Island.Extreme low tides right now ,so you can only launch and retrieve one boat at a time when it's low.

Afternoon everyone, finally got my dad out for his first time on Tuesday, water was nice and flat and we got a little wet. Started fishing Sidney channel, and hooked up to a 12-15 Lbs. in the morning. Moved over to Coal and hooked up to a nice 15Lber, both fish fought a good battle and took a ton of line.

Last edited:
Was out fishing on Tuesday aswell. caught 4 salmon in under 2 hours fishing spit and Sidney channel. one beeautiful salmon at around or over 25 lbs. the 25+ got away when I was trying to tail it so no photos but prbly for the better as I just touched the tail and she was released to make more fish like her. others from 8-12. proceeded to find a nice 18lb lingcod and a nice haul of prawns. Beauty day on the water!

Attachments

• 29F16ECA-8850-4BBC-B732-DE52A7A5BEC3.jpeg
    29F16ECA-8850-4BBC-B732-DE52A7A5BEC3.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 175
  • BBE015CE-279B-4A4E-AE86-9411468657E2.jpeg
    BBE015CE-279B-4A4E-AE86-9411468657E2.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 185
Boating With Andrew on Sunday: A screenplay.

Andrew: Let's go to Sooke today and get some pinks!
Boat: How about we just break down in the driveway instead?
Andrew: It's ok, I can fix that (main motor battery died and kicker would only start at full rev)
Boat: Ok, I'm ready to go
Boat Trailer: Wouldn't it be fun if my lights didn't work? Like, at all.
Andrew: No...
Boat Trailer: Well, I think it would be fun.
Andrew: It's ok, I can fix that. But now I can no longer go to Sooke.

Drive to Tulista - busy as heck. Somehow managed to get a good parking spot.

Boat Trailer: Hey, remember when you fixed my lights? Here's payback: Breaks Winch Strap while backing the boat down. Safety Chain saved the day.
Andrew - well, I can fix that too, but this is getting a little annoying.

Boat Motor: Thanks for getting me to start - but now I'm going to act up and not get on a plane and rattle a little
Andrew: ... Seriously?

(while trolling)
Random Sailboat: Wouldn't it be fun if we almost rammed you (while under power)?
Andrew:... No...?
Random Sailboat: We don't know the rules of the water. So now you have to almost run over your own gear while we shout at you.

Andrew...I need a drink - let's go home.

FIN

Hahaha! Had more than one day like that myself. I particularly enjoyed the sailboat encounter. I swear the windjammers do it intentionally out there.I'm trolling 60 feet offshore and some dumbnut using the entire width of the Sidney channel to tack damn near broadsides me.
Fixing to get a paintball gun sailboat deterrent device in my boat...

Bounced around jigging from Sidney Island to Powder Wharf and Cordova Spit. Not much bait on sounder anywhere and the bigger marks only produced dogfish. We did get up to half dozen salmon around 4-7lbs chasing the jig to the surface on the North end of James Island but never a bite. Tried a small 2" fly on sinking line but couldn't find them again. I'm guessing it was a little pod of coho.

Fished Powder Wharf for a couple hours. 1 bite. Didn't see any nets out
RCMP were greeting everyones departure and arrival at the Tulista ramp today doing boat safety inspections. Although myself and most people have this stuff on their boat, this is what they wanted to see from me: Boaters licence, Vessel registration, anchor, a sounding device (air horn), a buoyant throw line, a working flashlight, fire extinguisher, Coast Guard approved life jackets.

I fished the Sidney area on Friday morning for a few hours. Did a couple passes around Coal Island - no birds, no bait, no fish on the sounder. Ran down to Hamley and same result. Also, no one else fishing either Coal or Hamley. Dropped into Powder Wharf which had attracted about 4 other boats. Lots of bird working bait and lots showing on the sounder but no action. Was only out for about 3 hours though. I am sure that the fish are all waiting for August 1st to move into the area in numbers.

Out for the first time this year for salmon this past weekend. Fished 5-12 Saturday morning and Sunday 6-10. My eight year old jigged up his new high at 15 pounds or so near the red can buoy and then on Sunday a 10 or so at the powder wharf. No action at Hamley or Coal trolling. Finished up with some beach time on the spit, great weekend!

We jigged Coal, Sidney spit, James Island but did not get a salmon bite. Didn't really mark anything great on the sounder except lots of bait at Coal. Got some just sub legal lings and decent rockfish though. Heard some celebrating at Coal so guess a couple fish were caught. Not many boats out. Creel survey said he had seen 3 springs all day by 2pm when we came in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back