2019 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here a little tired of thinking:
“this sucks... Stizzla is okay at fishing now and doesn’t have massive screw ups on the water anymore so I can’t laugh at him, not with him anymore?”

Well I have good news for you!

I went fishing today. Currents were ripping at probably 4 knots.
I went to my starting point off of coal, and got the first rod down. Before I could get the second clipped in, it’s bouncing a bit. Looks and feels like a 7-8 pounder then it figured out it didn’t like being hooked and took some big runs!
Battled it like a pro and released him with the gaff in the water. Call it 16-17 pounds. (Pic at the bottom)

Then the classic Stizzla cluster f words started.
First a all too common mainline to main line tangle which resulted in to cut main lines and redo with fresh pre rigged flashers.
10 minutes later I’m at it again...
this time the cannon ball got involved. Next thing I know I have both lines and the ball all tangled up with the release clip in the mix too! My tactic here is always to unclip what I can to keep it and get it out of the way. Release clip, check. Then I go to unclip the first flasher when to my amazement the ball snaps off and goes dropping to the bottom in 160’ of water still snagged on one line and the islander is screaming!!!
the line other rod I see is dangling broken without a flasher and spoon on it... Gone. So I battle this ball that is stuck on the bottom and after 10 minutes I give her the all or nothing pull. The answer is nothing... no ball no flasher, no clip no snubber chord.
So yeah, end result all at once was, see ya later to:
-Salty dawg flasher
-no bananas flasher
- 2 glow skinny g’s
- my first lost cannonball in 11 months
- snubber

Ouch!

Going back to the good start, this was the beauty that started it off:

View attachment 45955

As long as weight of fish landed > weight of lost lead, you are winning.

That's a sad, sad story Stizz. These solstice tides can ke a killer! At least you are getting out there. Can't lose much gear when the boat never leaves the trailer!
We've been trying to get out for a couple of weeks, but every time we have a gap in our busy social schedule, the damn wind keeps us on shore.
Maybe Mother Nature will get this stuff out of her system by the time the 15th rolls around.
I just know you'll have better luck next time!

Out at Coal today with one other boat. 7-11. Trolled around in the strong current and caught a 20+ lb hatchery chinook near the marker. Peeled out a ton of line. Brought to the boat and helped it regain its strength for about 5 minutes. Swam off nicely. One of the largest fish I've caught. After that one smaller lingcod and one just a hair under 65 cm. Great day!

Tried some catch and release fishing off Moresby today. Unfortunately got no practice.

Pretty sure that I'm not the first person to figure this out but it seems that the San Juan Islands should be open as of July 1st for Springs (sorry, they prefer to be called Kings on that side of the border). The Stuart Island bluffs are closer to Sidney than the Pender bluffs and pretty sure that the fish don't know the difference.

As long as you don't touch a dock or anchor, you don't have to clear customs to fish in US waters although it may make sense to at least have a copy of your passport with you.

Sad that it has come to this but we have become accustomed to seeing US boats in our waters for many years when we were open and the US side was closed.

Looks like a non-resident fishing license is about US$60

From what I can tell, here were the basic regs for 2018/2019 but they end on June 30th:

"SALMON - eNTIRe AReA

July 1-July 31

CHINOOK - min. size 22". Other SALMON species - no min. size. Daily limit 2 plus 2 additional SOCKeYe. Release CHUM and wild CHINOOK. See Southern Rosario Strait/ Eastern Strait of Juan de Fuca Closure below. See Bellingham Bay Closure and Fishery, Samish Bay Closure, and Yellow and Low Islands Preserve on previous page."

So daily limit of 2 Springs, hatch only. Isn't that what we were asking the DFO to do in the first place? I can't seem to find the actual regs for 2019/2020 though unless they are like the DFO and don't release them until the day before? If anyone knows for sure or has a link, please post.

Pretty sure that I'm not the first person to figure this out but it seems that the San Juan Islands should be open as of July 1st for Springs (sorry, they prefer to be called Kings on that side of the border). The Stuart Island bluffs are closer to Sidney than the Pender bluffs and pretty sure that the fish don't know the difference.

As long as you don't touch a dock or anchor, you don't have to clear customs to fish in US waters although it may make sense to at least have a copy of your passport with you.

Sad that it has come to this but we have become accustomed to seeing US boats in our waters for many years when we were open and the US side was closed.

From what I can tell, here were the basic regs for 2018/2019 but they end on June 30th:

"SALMON - eNTIRe AReA

July 1-July 31

CHINOOK - min. size 22". Other SALMON species - no min. size. Daily limit 2 plus 2 additional SOCKeYe. Release CHUM and wild CHINOOK. See Southern Rosario Strait/ Eastern Strait of Juan de Fuca Closure below. See Bellingham Bay Closure and Fishery, Samish Bay Closure, and Yellow and Low Islands Preserve on previous page."

So daily limit of 2 Springs, hatch only. Isn't that what we were asking the DFO to do in the first place? I can't seem to find the actual regs for 2019/2020 though unless they are like the DFO and don't release them until the day before? If anyone knows for sure or has a link, please post.

Correct, open July 1st. Here's how it reads in the 2019-2020 reg book..

Chinook - min. size 22". Other salmon species - no min. size. Daily limit 2. Release chum and wild Chinook. See Southern Rosario Strait/ Eastern Strait of Juan de Fuca Closure below. See Bellingham Bay Closure and Fishery, Samish Bay Closure, and Yellow and Low Islands Preserve on previous page.

And a link to the regs……….. https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/02077/wdfw02077.pdf

I'm new to Bellingham and this forum, so if you see a white Weldcraft Rebel floating around out there feel free to say hello! I'm debating headed over to the gulf islands Monday for some birthday catch and release chinook fishing, and will be out in the San Juans every week during the season

Correct, open July 1st. Here's how it reads in the 2019-2020 reg book..

Chinook - min. size 22". Other salmon species - no min. size. Daily limit 2. Release chum and wild Chinook. See Southern Rosario Strait/ Eastern Strait of Juan de Fuca Closure below. See Bellingham Bay Closure and Fishery, Samish Bay Closure, and Yellow and Low Islands Preserve on previous page.

And a link to the regs……….. https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/02077/wdfw02077.pdf

I'm new to Bellingham and this forum, so if you see a white Weldcraft Rebel floating around out there feel free to say hello! I'm debating headed over to the gulf islands Monday for some birthday catch and release chinook fishing, and will be out in the San Juans every week during the season

Thanks Brian. Will see you out there in July. Looking forward to learning the fishy spots in the San Juans.

"SALMON - eNTIRe AReA

July 1-July 31

Do you have to clear Canada Customs on your way home? Think you might.

Do you have to clear Canada Customs on your way home? Think you might.
Nope. As long as you don't make landfall and clear customs on the US side, you don't need to clear coming back. If you did, every BC ferry travelling between Swartz Bay and Tswassen would have to clear customs as they travel into US waters on their trip across.

Nope. As long as you don't make landfall and clear customs on the US side, you don't need to clear coming back. If you did, every BC ferry travelling between Swartz Bay and Tswassen would have to clear customs as they travel into US waters on their trip across.
Might be worth checking out with CBSA. As I understand it you do have to check in , whereas at one time you didn’t
From a quick google search this is from a site back east but I’m sure it would apply here given CBSA is Federal.

“Perhaps of biggest surprise was that Canadian boaters that cross the borderline on the water, upon reentering Canada, have to report in with CBSA even if they haven't stopped their boat in American waters, said Jim Atkinson, Commander of Windsor Power and Sail Squadron who hosted the information session.

“If Canadians went into the United States a few years ago and didn’t anchor, moor, contact another vessel, or tie up to land then they wouldn’t have to report into CBSA when they came back. The Americans still have the same system as our old one, so there is some confusion. Most people don’t report in after going to American water,” said Atkinson.

Current regulations state that any private boat with 29 or fewer people, upon re-entering the country, is required to go directly to an official CBSA Telephone Direct Reporting Site or Marina.

Might be worth checking out with CBSA. As I understand it you do have to check in , whereas at one time you didn’t
From a quick google search this is from a site back east but I’m sure it would apply here given CBSA is Federal.

“Perhaps of biggest surprise was that Canadian boaters that cross the borderline on the water, upon reentering Canada, have to report in with CBSA even if they haven't stopped their boat in American waters, said Jim Atkinson, Commander of Windsor Power and Sail Squadron who hosted the information session.

“If Canadians went into the United States a few years ago and didn’t anchor, moor, contact another vessel, or tie up to land then they wouldn’t have to report into CBSA when they came back. The Americans still have the same system as our old one, so there is some confusion. Most people don’t report in after going to American water,” said Atkinson.

Current regulations state that any private boat with 29 or fewer people, upon re-entering the country, is required to go directly to an official CBSA Telephone Direct Reporting Site or Marina.
Belay my last! Hmm just looked at CBSA site and it may have changed back again??? Worth asking CBSA?

July 1-July 31

I guess these Chinook are not endangered
:(

I think I won by a few pounds :)
I did lose $100 of stuff though. Good thing the maple leafs will win that back for me in the next season or 2!
Do you bet against them? ;):confused::D

Don't forget that the Washington catch record card cannot be printed online. You can order it online or go to a licensed dealer. I don't know how quickly they mail them out. Also look at the map of closures for Marine Area 7. If you are fishing up north you shouldn't have a problem, but if you run from Victoria to the south end of San Juan Island you will want to watch out for the closure starting at Salmon Bank and going east.

You should probably carry your passport (or Nexus card if you have one) and you should make a few phone calls before you go just to confirm everything you find on the internet.

First call U.S. Customs and tell them what you plan to do. Even though the U.S. regulations read as if you shouldn't have to clear with them, the local officers sometimes will come up with unexpected reason why you need to check-in. I often leave from Washington and fish Canada. The local customs officers say that if I'm bringing a fish back into the country I need to check-in. I've had different officers refer to the fish as goods, or merchandise, or "a thing acquired outside of the U.S." Fortunately, they have programs available to dispense with the face to face meeting at Roche Harbor or Friday Harbor. It used to the I-68 program where you could get a pre-clearance that was good for a year, you just had to call a certain number upon re-entry into U.S. waters. Now they have the CBP ROAM app for android and Iphone. After you install the app and input your traveler information you can submit an application for a trusted traveler number. From that point on, whenever you enter the US you submit the trip through the app and they will either clear your entry or do a video chat. They do have the option of refusing entry or telling you to go the nearest port. The I-68 program and CBP ROAM app are available to U.S. and Canadian citizens.

Second, call the Canada Border Service Agency and chat with them. I've talked to CBSA a few times about northbound trips. They usually defer to whatever is on the website. Here's the website addressing boaters clearing customs. https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html The exceptions for re-entering Canada say you do not need to clear customs if you didn't land, more, etc. But, it does say embark or disembark people or goods. You should confirm with them that catching a fish is not "embarking" "goods." Common sense says no, but I can imagine an officer coming to a different conclusion. Easier to check ahead of time and make sure.

Third, call DFO. If you get stopped on your return trip with a couple fish on board and the season is closed in BC, are they going to make trouble for you. This has been a problem for Americans fishing in Canada and returning with fish. Salmon fishing in Washington is closed more months than it is open, and it is rare that we get to keep a chinook with an adipose fin. Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife has a online registration for U.S. anglers going to Canada intending to bring fish back. You might want to check with DFO and see if they will have any problem with your fish if they stop you on the water or at the boat launch.

Finally, depending on your plans you might call the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. If you are just coming across to fish, you have a valid license, and comply with the different rules, you should be fine. But, for example, if you stop along the way in BC and catch a lingcod, then run over to Washington to fish for Chinook, the WDFW might write you up for having an illegal fish on board (lingcod is only open May 1 to June 15 in WA marine area 7).

One last thing. Start a Washington Marine Area 7 fishing report thread. Everybody down here is tight lipped about where they are fishing (go look at bloodydecks). It would be nice to have some Canadian style fishing reports and a good group of people adding to it.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back