2019 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time posting, long time follower of the forum. Mostly because I have a couple young kids and rarely get out. Headed back from 2 great days of fishing today around Savary island. Friday fished grants reef and it was steady...probably released about 20 chinook between the 5 guys on the boat. Saturday headed to Sentry Shoal around 11 am and it was non stop until about 1:30 and then the bite came off but we were still hitting the odd one. Headed back to Vancouver today and decided to fish the south end of Texeda. Only one boat fishing which I can only assume was DMurph as I just read his previous post. We stopped and immediately trolled by him to see how the fishing was a he said lots of fish at 166 on white hootchie. Watched him hit and gaff release 3 or 4 fish in about a 30 min period. He was with his son I think but was doing everything himself....fishing 2 rods. Thanks for the info out there DMurph.....clearly not your 1st time fishing. He left about 40 min after we arrived and we decided to troll around the end of Texada where there is a tipped over marker marking a rock. We had 2 triple headers and brought in a good 25 pounder which was clearly the biggest of the trip. Biggest until then was about 17 pounds. Probably released about 10 there in an hour and a half or so. Great trip. Didn’t count our total for the 2.5 days of fishing but one of the guys on the boat was counting his own total and said he reeled in 20. We were alternating rods loosely and were 5 guys on the boat so I estimate we were around 80 total. The guy with 20 jumped the line a few times as we had 7 triple headers over the weekend. Fishing seems fantastic right now. The best since I was a kid. We had zero coho.....I think perhaps fisheries should close the coho and opened the chinook back up. Thanks for all the reports over the years. I’ll try to post after the dismal few days per year I can actually seem to find the time to get out there.

First time posting, long time follower of the forum. Mostly because I have a couple young kids and rarely get out. Headed back from 2 great days of fishing today around Savary island. Friday fished grants reef and it was steady...probably released about 20 chinook between the 5 guys on the boat. Saturday headed to Sentry Shoal around 11 am and it was non stop until about 1:30 and then the bite came off but we were still hitting the odd one. Headed back to Vancouver today and decided to fish the south end of Texeda. Only one boat fishing which I can only assume was DMurph as I just read his previous post. We stopped and immediately trolled by him to see how the fishing was a he said lots of fish at 166 on white hootchie. Watched him hit and gaff release 3 or 4 fish in about a 30 min period. He was with his son I think but was doing everything himself....fishing 2 rods. Thanks for the info out there DMurph.....clearly not your 1st time fishing. He left about 40 min after we arrived and we decided to troll around the end of Texada where there is a tipped over marker marking a rock. We had 2 triple headers and brought in a good 25 pounder which was clearly the biggest of the trip. Biggest until then was about 17 pounds. Probably released about 10 there in an hour and a half or so. Great trip. Didn’t count our total for the 2.5 days of fishing but one of the guys on the boat was counting his own total and said he reeled in 20. We were alternating rods loosely and were 5 guys on the boat so I estimate we were around 80 total. The guy with 20 jumped the line a few times as we had 7 triple headers over the weekend. Fishing seems fantastic right now. The best since I was a kid. We had zero coho.....I think perhaps fisheries should close the coho and opened the chinook back up. Thanks for all the reports over the years. I’ll try to post after the dismal few days per year I can actually seem to find the time to get out there.
Wow! Good report. Come on July 15!

Yes that was me, it’s was nice to see another boat out there lol, been lonely at times with the restrictions. I should of cruised by to say hi before I left, boy was wanting to leave awhile before you showed up lol guess a few more minutes turned into 40. Wishing I was still out there

How are you keeping the liveys alive? Live well? Cooler with an aerator? Thanks DE18
I use a cooler mounted on a swimgrid at the stern, it has a water pickup for when you're traveling to aerate the water. I used to have a aerator pump but now just use a 2 &1/2 gallon bucket to add water every once and a while. But I still have plans to add a small (500 gal./H) bilge pump on a timer.

I have a bait tank for sale if you are interested. Search for Kodiak bait tank in Buy/Sell section. All you need is a aerator pump. Open to offers or possible trade.

First time in Pender Harbour on a family boating trip. Can anybody point me in the right direction to do some salmon fishing? Sounds like south end of Texada is the place to be. Anywhere closer to PH/Madeira Park? Also, what are the rules with the “firing zone” between Nanaimo and Texada/Secret Cove etc? Is there a certain route we have to go? Coming from Galiano. Thank you!

First time in Pender Harbour on a family boating trip. Can anybody point me in the right direction to do some salmon fishing? Sounds like south end of Texada is the place to be. Anywhere closer to PH/Madeira Park? Also, what are the rules with the “firing zone” between Nanaimo and Texada/Secret Cove etc? Is there a certain route we have to go? Coming from Galiano. Thank you!

Northern tip of Thormandby, South tip of Texada, Bjerre Shoal which runs between Texada and Middlepoint. All good for salmon but there is no retention of springs until mid July.

North of Pender Harbour you have Agamemnon channel, Quarry Bay on Nelson island and the piling across the Malaspina on Texada.

Northern tip of Thormandby, South tip of Texada, Bjerre Shoal which runs between Texada and Middlepoint. All good for salmon but there is no retention of springs until mid July.

North of Pender Harbour you have Agamemnon channel, Quarry Bay on Nelson island and the piling across the Malaspina on Texada.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Any recommendations for decent size Ling? I’ve been catching lots off the lighthouse at Francis Peninsula but nothing big enough to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back