2019 Ucluelet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waves were a bit choppy. Headed into Salmon beach as ppl on board getting ill.

Ya I didn't make it out much further than that first green bouy outside of the ukee harbor. Not worth the hassle, as I was only with the wife and the wind and swells/waves were rough.

Headed to great bear rock and alley rock. Trolled alittle and caught a coho and Chinook. Black and chrome flashers with needle fish hoochie

Switched over to bottom fish in the loudon channel and fought with something in 200fow that ended up snapping my ugly stick hali rod. It was uge' whatever it was. Almost felt sharky. Limited out on ling and rock fish.

Came in to grab the traps and got a few red rock crab.

Tonight we feast like kings and Queens.

A few of us kayak fisherman want to try the west coast of the island. what's a good general area not to far from the boat launch for some guys on kayaks to paddle out to fish ?

A few of us kayak fisherman want to try the west coast of the island. what's a good general area not to far from the boat launch for some guys on kayaks to paddle out to fish ?
Bamfield. 10 min kayak from launch can get you to some solid fishing grounds.

Harbour inlet, beg island and the bay in behind it can all produce Chinook, coho and bottom fish. Only issue is those areas are busy w/ boat traffic so can be lumpy w/ wind waves mixed with wakes. On nice days shouldn’t be a problem if you’re experienced paddlers.

Cheers!

Ukee

Harbour inlet, beg island and the bay in behind it can all produce Chinook, coho and bottom fish.....
There's a video on Youtube taken by a Guy in a float tube-he paddled all the way out there and ended up sharing the place with a Humpback!

So you never know who you'll meet.

Little Beach on the Ukee side maybe.

Yes on the Ukee side launching at Little beach and paddling out on a calm day would be my choice. It's a very short paddle to open waters and parking is a stones throw from the launch area. Lots of boats troll out in front of Little Beach all summer. Even a few reports of big fish caught inside the Little Beach bay.

There's a video on Youtube taken by a Guy in a float tube-he paddled all the way out there and ended up sharing the place with a Humpback!

So you never know who you'll meet.

Wow, that would be quite a kick even on a nice day! Yeah, not uncommon to find greys or humpbacks in that little bay. The bait that can stack up off of Beg, in the adjacent bay and/or around the shoal/kelp beds around the food islets just to the east not only attracts the whales but also attracts the rest of the food chain as well (salmon, Lings, rock fish).

As someone else mentioned, if the swell/wind waves aren’t too bad, you could definitely access the mouth of the bays and some of the rocky headlands/kelp beds by launching at Little Beach, as well as Terrace Beach and Big Beach. Would be a grunt hauling your yaks back up the stairs but Wreck Bay (Florencia) is very protected and can have some wide open squid bites in behind the island in quite shallow water!!

Cheers!

Ukee

Great photo! Good #s of squid spawning give the salmon a reason to come inshore off the banks!!! Wish I were heading over Soon!!

Cheers!

Ukee

Fished Cree this morning but it was very rough. Trolled down to meares bluff. Caught 6 undersized spring, a 17 pounder and a decent clipped coho. All fish caught on anchovies between 55 and 100 feet. Water then got extremely rough and had to go back to salmon beach through 10 - 12 foot waves.

Forgot to mention to add a couple of small split shots on the bottom of the jig so it will sink faster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back