2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coho are being reported around Campbell river and south Texada as well so that's a good sign. I hope everyone has an awesome day on the water, no chance for me until the long weekend unfortunately when I will move the boat to the Sunshine Coast for the summer. Cheers

Last edited:
Best fishing I’ve ever had locally , thrasher , over twenty legal Chinook since 6 am, many nice grade high teen , few nudging 20 lbs , 6 inch spoons no flasher, tight to the reef , pics to follow later , trolled up a nice 20 pound ling and a 5 lb hatch coho bonus aswell

Headed to south Bowen this am. Plan to drop in Seymour bay and troll west. Should be gorgeous conditions.

Ended up only fishing only from 10:30 - 1:00 pm. Crew had car trouble. We had four springs to the boat, but all were small. Also hit a nice 5 - 6 lb wild coho that hit right on the surface as gear was being brought up. All action on chovies and small herring.

Fished yesterday at salmon rock from 10 - 12. No action for us but saw multiple hookups. Moved just off worlcombe and started hitting coho on the tideline. Released a beauty chrome 5 ibs. coho and a 8 ibs. spring. Lost a couple coho aswell. All the coho action was on a tiger prawn hootchies 40 - 80 feet.

Out at the Hump yesterday from about 7:30 till 1;30. Lots of Coho. Stopped counting after hitting 12. In usual Coho fasion however, some were gone by the time the rod was out of the holder. Managed 5 to the boat of which one was a hatchery. smallest of the bunch. All nice fish 5 - 7lbs. All really hit hard popping off by themselves. Paralleled the first contour line on the north side of the hump. 90% of hook ups were when going with the current, of which was fairly strong yesterday. 4 lines in the water stacked with 20' distance between. Tried hootchies and spoons to start but quickly went to all four on hootchies. Deeper rigger was set at 85' with a green hoocthie and betsy flaher at about 65'. Above that, red hotspot flasher and red hootchie. Other side rigger set at 75' so line probably about 55' with another green hootchie. 20' above that a purple onion flaher with a purple haze hoocthie. Green hootchies caught the most but every rod saw action. After about 11:00 lines went to 95 and 85 on the riggers. In one 40 minute time frame it just seemed like fish after fish. Finish with one side and the other side would go off. After not salmon fishing since April, it was a great day for me and the father in-law.
Forgot to mention, that hatcherty had 3 anchovies in its gullet. Two were side by side and they were about 5 - 51/2 " in length.
Cheers.

Was out again on Sunday
Fished 1030-630
Same rigging and depths as most of my days.
I don’t fish much on the Gabriola side of Thrasher (North Side), 90% of the time I fish the Valdez side (South side) but decided this time to start running up Gabriola as I wasn’t having much luck on the other side.
We landed a lot, lost a lot, largest being near 15lbs I’m guessing...more shakers on Sunday then I had caught on Saturday.
Adanac, I saw you out there in that beautiful Grady, I’m the same size Boston Whaler...
Didn’t have any luck with the naked, so was fishing with Flashers...but not tight up like Adanac...Greens weren’t working well for me either, so switch to the Herring Aid and a Copcar and things picked up...
Would love to get out this week, but winds aren’t looking great to make that happen, hoping they die down for the weekend.

Was out again on Sunday
Fished 1030-630
Same rigging and depths as most of my days.
I don’t fish much on the Gabriola side of Thrasher (North Side), 90% of the time I fish the Valdez side (South side) but decided this time to start running up Gabriola as I wasn’t having much luck on the other side.
We landed a lot, lost a lot, largest being near 15lbs I’m guessing...more shakers on Sunday then I had caught on Saturday.
Adanac, I saw you out there in that beautiful Grady, I’m the same size Boston Whaler...
Didn’t have any luck with the naked, so was fishing with Flashers...but not tight up like Adanac...Greens weren’t working well for me either, so switch to the Herring Aid and a Copcar and things picked up...
Would love to get out this week, but winds aren’t looking great to make that happen, hoping they die down for the weekend.

If having problems with shakers , this time of year you start getting big mature fish eating herring deep on the structure . At times we had 275 of cable our staying within 5 foot off bottom , biggest fish came at 175’ deep and 225’ of cable .

If having problems with shakers , this time of year you start getting big mature fish eating herring deep on the structure . At times we had 275 of cable our staying within 5 foot off bottom , biggest fish came at 175’ deep and 225’ of cable .

Thanks for the tip Adanac...you must know the area well, myself, I’d be scared to be only 5’ off the button with the ups and downs of the reef that close...I did do a few closer passes this last outing and did try deeper than usual (that’s to say when I saw bait deep I’d drop as deep as 220’ for a short stint) and I definitely fish the structure line...usually at the drop line between the 100’ and 200’
Next outing I’m going to take your advise for sure though and try deeper for longer, try to stray from my “if it’s working stick with it” mentality Lol.
Cheers

Spent a couple hrs this evening at HITW enjoying the day. Caught one under at 50 ft and it was clipped! Any suggestions on what hatchery is clipping chinook?

Spent a couple hrs this evening at HITW enjoying the day. Caught one under at 50 ft and it was clipped! Any suggestions on what hatchery is clipping chinook?

Maybe Tenderfoot on the Squamish system as it's just around the corner in Howe Sound and they clip all the chinook they rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back