Landing Crafts in the ocean

Bifmalibu

So I'm going to build an Aluminum boat at some point. I'm thinking a landing craft with a small, rear pilot house would make for a very versatile platform. Lots of deck space for hauling gear/quads for hunting trips and also lots of deck space for fishing adventures. My question is how do they perform in a the ocean? Obviously they are fully open platforms so prone to taking a wave over the bow, but in fair seas they must be fine? Anybody have experience fishing a landing craft in the ocean? I'd be looking in the 20-24' range most likely.

You can get a landing craft style boat with a deep v. Silver streak just built one for south coast divers......it looks pretty awesome. Maybe pat will chime in

No personal experience but while hunting/fishing north Island the transporters for the logging industry motor past all the time with their landing crafts, often in some rough seas, would have a tarp for protection as often wonder what vehicles look like after a few hours of salt water washing. Many times wished I had camp and my quad on one for those inaccessible abandoned logging rds full of 5x5 deer. Or????

HM

I've seen one with a movable pilothouse. Move forward for fishing off the back and push back to use as landing craft. That would be pretty slick.

We had them when I worked for TimberWest in Johnstone Straits to move pickups and Suzuki’s around the islands where we were laying out timber. I remember some tree planters drowned from one taking on water in rough water, not one of TimberWest’s Sealanders. They were loaded to the max and something went wrong, very sad. Bruce Bendickson bought one from TimberWest and used it for years moving equipment around from his home on Hardwicke Island.

I've been drooling over the boats on the Munson boats website. They sure seem to have it figured out. The Silverstreak's are beauty's as well.

What are you looking at spending?? I have a 20 ft skiff that i use for hunting, fits 2 quads fine and all my gear but doesn't have a cabin.

Not sure about price yet. I have a lot of rigging components lying around. I'll also have a shop in the next few months, which is why I want to build it myself. Feel free to share a pic of your skiff.

Not sure about price yet. I have a lot of rigging components lying around. I'll also have a shop in the next few months, which is why I want to build it myself. Feel free to share a pic of your skiff.
We ran a 28' aluminum 'sea truck' with twin 150s [back in the 70s when that was a big motor] - between camps in Rivers and Smith Inlets, which involves a brief chunk of open Pacific. It carried some big loads [lumber, diesel, propane, etc], and we watched weather, but were out in some fair snot. Never trolled with it, but we jigged. A rear cabin could screw you up for having a downrigger on each side - but you could work that out with right design.

We ran a 28' aluminum 'sea truck' with twin 150s [back in the 70s when that was a big motor] - between camps in Rivers and Smith Inlets, which involves a brief chunk of open Pacific. It carried some big loads [lumber, diesel, propane, etc], and we watched weather, but were out in some fair snot. Never trolled with it, but we jigged. A rear cabin could screw you up for having a downrigger on each side - but you could work that out with right design.
Sounds like the Sea Truck that DFO used to supply the Docee River counting fence and up in Owikeno Lake-- Yes/No ??

Back