2019 Port Hardy Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just back from a 12 day adventure Prince Rupert, Port Hardy and finishing up in Port McNeill. Fish PR in am at low slack, 4 salmon pretty quick. Cookie cutters in the 12-15 pd range. Headed to Rivers Inlet, feeder springs to 26 pd, across to PH, low slack again 26 pd largest, 6" spoons. Limited out pretty quick in area 111 that was open. PH Charter business pretty much non existent do to closures. No Hali for us which was a disappointment. Weather was typical West Coast good and bad. Our 150 mile longest travel day was mostly pleasurable but tons of debris everywhere with isolated showers. Excellent trip over all with a $2500 Yamy 350 fuel bill ranging from $1.97 to $1.45 per litre in PM. PR Cow Bay was steep long with Shearwater and Dawson Landing.

D, 1.97/Ltr. the cost in Shearwater? Figured that’s where the cost of fuel is going to be at this season from what I was told months ago.

My dream trip.

So did you guys trailer up to P.R. if so how did you get your trailers back down.

Two part trip: Boat was trailered from Parksville to Port McNeill, launched the boat, headed to Port Hardy, crossed via Cape Caution and fished up to Prince Rupert were the boat was left at Cow Bay for about 3 weeks. Flew home to Vancouver and flew back to PR on Air Canada standby and fished, toured for 12 days on our way back down to Port McNeill where we picked up the truck and trailer at a storage compound. Buddy is staying at Port McNeill for a few days and then heading over to Winter Harbour. I flew home from Port Hardy via Coastal Pacific.
Re tallied the boat gas bill $3110 for the 12 day return. Ouch. Favourite spots Klemtu,Hakia Passage,Goose Bay and Dawson Landing.

D, 1.97/Ltr. the cost in Shearwater? Figured that’s where the cost of fuel is going to be at this season from what I was told months ago.
Can't remember exactly what Shearwater was as we shared the fuel costs and I don't have that particular bill but I know it was at the higher end for the trip. Dawson Landing was $1.88 for sure and the highest rate I think was Hartley Bay. Port McNeill least expensive by a fair margin. My guess, be ready to endure on average probably about $1.75 plus per litre.

Two part trip: Boat was trailered from Parksville to Port McNeill, launched the boat, headed to Port Hardy, crossed via Cape Caution and fished up to Prince Rupert were the boat was left at Cow Bay for about 3 weeks. Flew home to Vancouver and flew back to PR on Air Canada standby and fished, toured for 12 days on our way back down to Port McNeill where we picked up the truck and trailer at a storage compound. Buddy is staying at Port McNeill for a few days and then heading over to Winter Harbour. I flew home from Port Hardy via Coastal Pacific.
Re tallied the boat gas bill $3110 for the 12 day return. Ouch. Favourite spots Klemtu,Hakia Passage,Goose Bay and Dawson Landing.

Thanks, yah that’s a dream trip for me. Couple more years hopefully I’ll make it work. Man I bet that’s some beautiful country through there.
I hope to launch at Hardy and then go up into Shearwater, Klemtu, Rivers and area, spend a week maybe 10 days touring around.

Thanks Drink.

Anyone have some pointer for areas the north end of the island near nawitti bar area 12-14? Best areas etc thanks

Thanks, yah that’s a dream trip for me. Couple more years hopefully I’ll make it work. Man I bet that’s some beautiful country through there.
I hope to launch at Hardy and then go up into Shearwater, Klemtu, Rivers and area, spend a week maybe 10 days touring around.

Thanks Drink.
For sure Walleyes, insane beauty, the West Coast at it's best with unforgettable memories. Port Hardy launch is totally doable with favourable sea conditions and the trip you are considering makes the most sense. Crabbing was top notch. Only issue for us was tons of debris so you need a good second pair of eyes. Make sure you get to Goose Bay cannery and see what the Burnaby and New Westminster firefighters are up to.

Funny thing - we went up to hardy a couple weeks ago for some nice halis and only caught a couple of ping pong rackets !!! tough grind for halis in victoria this year - thought we would slay them up there but not to be

Hey Drink—-just curious—-I’m looking at a boat with a F350 on it with a few hundred hours but I keep reading some scary stuff about the F350 fly-wheel issues. How did yours run for you? Can I ask the year and number of hours you put on it? Any issues? Thanks for the report. Sorry to derail with outboard motor question

Hey Drink—-just curious—-I’m looking at a boat with a F350 on it with a few hundred hours but I keep reading some scary stuff about the F350 fly-wheel issues. How did yours run for you? Can I ask the year and number of hours you put on it? Any issues? Thanks for the report. Sorry to derail with outboard motor question

I haven't run an F350...but I've read up on them quite a bit. The guys on www.thehulltruth.com know a lot, but beware of a lot of negative opinions and general BS.

What I've read is that the F350A did have some problems with the con-rod bearings, problems with water not fully draining out of the motor and freezing, and the flywheel issue. Yamaha upgrades the ECU to track operation between 3200-4000rpm where the crank shaft harmonics are bad. Once you hit 80hrs in that rev range Yamaha will replace the flywheel for free. Owners seem to think that the flywheel is no big deal and just treat it like an oil change. The current version of the motor is F350C and seems well liked (internet haters notwithstanding)

I haven't run an F350...but I've read up on them quite a bit. The guys on www.thehulltruth.com know a lot, but beware of a lot of negative opinions and general BS.

What I've read is that the F350A did have some problems with the con-rod bearings, problems with water not fully draining out of the motor and freezing, and the flywheel issue. Yamaha upgrades the ECU to track operation between 3200-4000rpm where the crank shaft harmonics are bad. Once you hit 80hrs in that rev range Yamaha will replace the flywheel for free. Owners seem to think that the flywheel is no big deal and just treat it like an oil change. The current version of the motor is F350C and seems well liked (internet haters notwithstanding)
Just as Pineapple Express mentioned. Had sold my boat and my rock solid 2006 Yamaha F250 and was the navigator on my buddies Swiftshire 27' so cannot comment directly other than the fact that my buddy stated between the fore mentioned rpm range and 300 hours the fly is replaced free of charge by Yamaha. His is due this fall for servicing so that will decide what needs to be done other than the regular servicing. His main concern is will Yamaha honour the fault for the life of the motor and potential resell value. Time will tell. His biggest disappointment is the fact that Yamaha only produced this motor for one year and considering what this motor cost, Yamaha should have stepped up.
Our trip range was kept between 4500-4800 rpm mostly which ranged between 1.4-1.8 mpg. Average speed was 27 mph.I will state though the motor ran flawlessly and was impressed with its overall performance.
Would I buy a boat with this apparent Yamaha flaw, probably not unless I was absolutely convinced in writing from Yamaha that they will stand behind this motor.
Pricy fuel bill as mentioned at $3100. Thirsty.

Thanks, guys. Very helpful comments. Heard today from a Yamaha distributor that Yamaha is dropping the 350 product line due to those issues (and others). One guy said he dissuades his customers from hanging 350’s, pushing them towards twin 200’s. I was told flat out they would not accept a used F350 as trade-in. Enough said. Thanks again and didn’t mean to derail a fishing report thread.

My pals dad is up there right now. 5 chinook. 4 lings, and limit of rockcod yesterday.
27# was the biggest, an 18#, an 11# are the ones I know of.
Apparently a tyee was lost at the boat...this is 3rd hand news. I know nothing about Port Hardy.

Just back from Hardy late last night. Took my best bud from high school, his old man and his future father in law. Salmon fishing at sutil was good with fairly easy limits of chinook in the 14-18lbs range. our two biggest were 25 and 23 lbs. We had several much bigger fish on but unfortunately with new salmon anglers on the rod they were all lost or broken off, that's fishing and you cant land them all. Halibut fishing for us was not great. We spent a couple afternoons on the hook, one 7 miles out from sutil and one inside the nahwitti bar (we had some sea sickness issues the first day) and only ended up with one Hali for the trip. I heard that hali fishing has been a little slow and looking at the board at hardy bouys when we picked up our fish there was only 3 halibut on about a dozen peoples fish lists. Ling cod fishing were not aloud to talk about...

Cant wait for the next Trip!

Brother is up with Serengeti right now and by the looks of the pics they are rocking it as usual. It’s an annual trip for them and Dave puts them on the fish every year. Some nice slabs in the boat today 26# the biggest so far and some nice Hali as well.

Just finished a week in Hardy, springs aplenty at Sutil. As mentioned above many fish in 15-20 range with the odd bigger fish mixed in. 5 halis to 25lbs but did have to work harder for them than past years. Great week. Off to Renfrew now for a week.

Just finished a week in Hardy, springs aplenty at Sutil. As mentioned above many fish in 15-20 range with the odd bigger fish mixed in. 5 halis to 25lbs but did have to work harder for them than past years. Great week. Off to Renfrew now for a week.
I'm headed up there next Monday, 7/22, and am I reading the regulations correctly, a 80 cm maximum size on the Springs??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back