Boat setup for van island

Kassidy

Hi guys!! Just moved to Chemainus and also Just bought me a campion explorer 542. She is set up with down-riggers, trap puller, kicker, helix 9 Gen3, marina radio. So the question I have is what do you Guys use for safety? I have a first aid kit and some odds and ends basic boat kits with the whistle etc. But I am just wondering if you guys pack survival suits, PLB’s. Also boat organization what do you guys recommend? Rubbermaid’s any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. I have prawn and crab traps line. The boat is only 19’4” so I just want to maximize the space as best I can and you guys know you stuff.

Also if anyone wants to come fishing for free that knows Chemainus well I will pay for everything for the experience!

Hi guys!! Just moved to Chemainus and also Just bought me a campion explorer 542. She is set up with down-riggers, trap puller, kicker, helix 9 Gen3, marina radio. So the question I have is what do you Guys use for ...
Safety: good batteries, check radio, nav. lights, bilge pump, horn, have spare prop, fuses, small tool kit for emergency repairs, radar reflector, good fuel filter, anchor, good flashlight, keep motors well-maintained, etc.
Always have ample fuel, wear your pfd and Don't forget the transom plug!

Storage: any built in storage you can create is best but remember to only take what you need and not a lot more. For example, we only take the trap puller when we go prawning. It's easy to overload a boat. As much as possible use waterproof containers. Everything on a boat will corrode.

Good luck and happy boating!

Safety: good batteries, check radio, nav. lights, bilge pump, horn, have spare prop, fuses, small tool kit for emergency repairs, radar reflector, good fuel filter, anchor, good flashlight, keep motors well-maintained, etc.
Always have ample fuel, wear your pfd and Don't forget the transom plug!

Storage: any built in storage you can create is best but remember to only take what you need and not a lot more. For example, we only take the trap puller when we go prawning. It's easy to overload a boat. As much as possible use waterproof containers. Everything on a boat will corrode.

Good luck and happy boating!
Awesome reply I appreciate it

I carry a small tote bag in my boat have had it for a few years now, it’s my emergency bag. It’s a small water tight bag in it in zip freezer bags. Flare gun and flares, candles, water proof matches, pocket knife, fire starter, emergency blanket, mirror and a small first aid kit. Just some essentials you just never know. I always say you may have to spend the night either on the water or on shore some place, if it’s to rough to make it in you may have to park it some place others may not know your safe but as long as you know your safe, that all that matters everyone else will find out in time.

As Walleyes said a well thought out ditch bag is a must (we could have a whole thread on what people put in their ditch bag). It should always be accessible on a moments notice. Things can go wrong pretty quickly on a boat.

I would add a spare bilge pump cartridge for each style/size pump, a few tapered wood hull plugs in various sizes and a spare fuel water separator filter to your gear.

These work great for your prawn lines. Rope coils into here beautifully and you can probably do 2 shots.
You can get them at Rona, Home Depot etc.

plastic-tote.jpg

I have found my medium size Pelican box has been invaluable, I keep all important documentation for the boat, spare scotty parts, fuses, some basic combination wrenches, multi driver and a good sized first aid kit in it. It is completely waterproof and durable. As Foxsea mentioned try not to overload.

Mike

I added a life raft with a hydrostatic release this year, will be mounting on the roof shortly. Also have an EPIRB. Onboard safety bin includes flares, air horn , flashlight, mirror, boarding ladder, first aid kit. Have a bug out bag as well in a watertight sack with signal flares, smoke flares, flashlight, water, first aid kit, mirror, waterproof handheld VHF, knife, simple fishing kit, some simple food rations and space blankets. In the boat keep all my items in small bins from Canadian Tire. Have one for spare prop, fuses, prop nut, rags, lubrication, another for Scotty spare parts, one with tools and then all the fishing gear in separate bins based on the application. Seems to keep things easier to find.

FYI just a caution to be careful of adding too much weight up high on a smaller boat's roof. Just as doing any refit of a roof or cabin can change the original stability of a boat, adding heavy items up high on a roof can also. I always try to keep weight as low as possible. I personally decided against putting a life raft up on top of my roof on my 22 for that reason. That last thing you want is adding safety items that cause your boat to become unsafe.

The only other things I have that hasn't been mentioned are a bag of 2 old jackets and a set of rain gear.

I keep an old sleeping bag and sweat pants in case if someone fell overboard and needed to get warmed up.

Back