Towing Trucks

Yup on all accounts.

Having towed with a 1990 F-150 gas v8, 2000 f350 gas v10, and now a 2013 3500 gmc diesel, the ease of towing in the diesel is so much greater I won't go back. This is especially noticeable going from nanaimo to campbell river. easy driving/towing.

HB

Wait a minute here......are you trying to tell us your 1990 F150 that's down 500lb-ft of torque doesn't tow as well as your 2013 D-max? lol Even that old V-10 has less torque and +/- 2500lbs towing capacity than a modern half ton gas pot.

Last edited:
I had an old diesel, when I worked up north in prince george I would commute from the lower mainland by the time I hit cache creek it was finally warmed up. After filling up in cache creek the thing purred all the way to prince george.

I currently drive a 2005 gmc 2500 duramax. Before this I had a 2005 gmc 2500 with the 6.0 gas. Each truck will pull a boat fine but the diesel is hands down more enjoyable. I switched to diesel because during my hunting trips up north while towing a trailer I had to stop for gas constantly . Part of the problem was the small fuel tanks in the gmcs but they also suck the gas while towing. It really comes down to how much you will use the truck and how much money you want to spend. You’ll get a gasser with 100k on it for the same price as a diesel with 250k. If your budget has you looking at 6.0l ford diesels I think you would be better off going with a Chevy 6.0 gasser. I sold my last one a couple years ago with 90k on it for 12 or 13k. They are solid trucks for the money and I know guys that have near 400k on them. Just make sure you change the brake lines the second you buy it. They rot out.

I've owned a 2001 Dodge club cab diesel 4x4 24V for 15 years.I've towed multiple travel trailers and boats with it,never any problems,but it's not winning races up hill.Other than rebuilding the transmission 3 years ago,it's been amazingly cheap to maintain.No front end problems that people have said are a problem with these trucks and it's rust free.I get about 2 people a year ask me if I would sell it.The only reason I would sell is the noise this truck makes or if I stop towing.People actually stop in their tracks and stare at me like I'm a criminal for driving such a noisy thing.Funny most of the time.
That diesel is fricken near bulletproof, love those old cummins 24 v, reliability beats out the noise factor anyday!

A guy at work put a 12valve in a square body. And this guy removed the 6.4 and added a Cummins. He used a kit that was about $5000 plus the engine.

Don't know which is harder finding another halibut or another truck. Struck out on hali last three trips! Looks like I've found the truck I want, going to put an offer out tomorrow morning and then fly out of town to get it. Almost no trucks here in old Victoria with construction still booming. Thanks for all the advice.

Once you get it let us know what it is!

Man, that’s a nice truck. If you’re buying a F350, you likely want to haul/tow big loads with it. Why would they pick a reduced GVRW option? Might as well buy a smaller truck to fit the bill.

Man, that’s a nice truck. If you’re buying a F350, you likely want to haul/tow big loads with it. Why would they pick a reduced GVRW option? Might as well buy a smaller truck to fit the bill.

Maybe an Oil patch truck, logger, or something that saw some gravel roads and they wanted the heavy ball joints or king pins what ever they have now, and heavier steering linkage etc than a 1/2 or 3/4 ton. I don't think that bumper was for Walmart trips.

Had to pass in the end. Wicked deal on a nice truck but for some reason, it had a GVRW reduction option chosen to get it under 9900 pounds for insurance, not great for a camper truck combo. Someone should pick this up https://ca.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ctedEntity=d343&zip=T8X+0V3#listing=241941740

I would guess that’s a fleet buy back, worked hard that truck that’s why the front bumper is all painted up. You can see on the console the dirt is ground right in from the greasy coveralls that were in it all the time. Most of those oil field fleet trucks are maintained well but driven pretty hard. I’d pass on that one and take a wide detour around it lol.

Maybe an Oil patch truck, logger, or something that saw some gravel roads and they wanted the heavy ball joints or king pins what ever they have now, and heavier steering linkage etc than a 1/2 or 3/4 ton. I don't think that bumper was for Walmart trips.
Yeah. You’re right. I didn’t notice it was an AB truck.

If it seems like too good of a deal to be true and you think it was a work truck look around for signs of radio or antennas being mounted. Open the hood and look along the endge of the fender for screw holes. Check the tranny hump inside for radio holes. If it has carpet feel around, the holes will still be there. The lease and auction companies don’t do anything but flip em.

I just did the haul from Vic to Port Hardy and back with a Duramax and trailer equipped with electric over hydraulic brakes. For a portion of the trip i got stuck behind a Titan pulling a Grady. So frustrating to be behind a truck and trailer that cant hold its speed. All the reasons/excuses not to buy a diesel can be tossed out the window and run over as you watch that diesel in the uphill passing lane drive by your struggling gaspot.

Most of us tow a few times a year. Diesels while having their advantages aren't perfect for everyone. I'll take my 6.0/385HP struggling GM gas pot dragging my Grady any day of the year over a smelly noisy expensive diesel. Many new gas pots have complex towing packages that make them efficient and capable. Most of the year people aren't towing and that diesel torque and smell isn't an advantage. I might not want to go as fast up hills. I'm just fine at 100 KMH on that highway.

Most of us tow a few times a year. Diesels while having their advantages aren't perfect for everyone. I'll take my 6.0/385HP struggling GM gas pot dragging my Grady any day of the year over a smelly noisy expensive diesel. Many new gas pots have complex towing packages that make them efficient and capable. Most of the year people aren't towing and that diesel torque and smell isn't an advantage. I might not want to go as fast up hills. I'm just fine at 100 KMH on that highway.
When towing torque is always an advantage and a diesels out torque gassers. As for the smell thats an opinion and personally I think the smell of an engine burning diesel, gas or av fuel is better than any perfume.

Last edited:
A 5.7L can't hold its speed?
Can it at 100 km/h up a 8% grade pulling 9000lbs, gear and 3 passengers? What RPM are you turning to create maximum torque? If it can than I stand corrected and we can open the fuel economy debate.

Last edited:
Back