How do you ice salmon/halibut on a 4-5 day fishing trip?

The only thing I'd add to Dan's comments: point the open drain of your cooler at a scupper then place a stud-end under one end of the cooler. I commercial trolled and we belly iced fish for well over a week, sometimes two weeks....the key is don't let melt-ice collect on or under the fish and if possible, keep a second cooler with clean salt ice available to top off your fish cooler as necessary. An ice scoop is an important piece of equipment I carry when I do my three week boat trips in the summer and fall

I'll chip in, not that you need anymore advice, but either way will work out (vac pack at Jerry's vs. gut/head em and cooler pack em). When I go to Barkley, I personally do all my cleaning/packing/freezing at Mills. I've done it differently before, but I have evolved to using Jerry's service. First off, you won't find a better cleaning station. Second off, his packer and bags are absolutely top shelf, way better than what I can do at home (and those thick bags matter). Lastly, the fast freeze that he gets in their freezer is outstanding. Lastly plus one, they're fine people and I'm rooting for them in a hostile industry, and I'm happy to drop some coin there whenever I can.

fb

Is there any issues bagging the cleaned salmon and putting on salt ice?
Yup. You need to leave them unbagged so all the slime/bacteria can drain away from the fish. Regular cubed ice will bruise the fish.

If you will end-up freezing the fish at home it is much better to have it done by a processor ASAP; much better product. Back in the day we didn't have this option

You can either follow directions or learn the hard way; makes life much more pleasant for us who take the time to post directions.

I'll chip in, not that you need anymore advice, but either way will work out (vac pack at Jerry's vs. gut/head em and cooler pack em). When I go to Barkley, I personally do all my cleaning/packing/freezing at Mills. I've done it differently before, but I have evolved to using Jerry's service. First off, you won't find a better cleaning station. Second off, his packer and bags are absolutely top shelf, way better than what I can do at home (and those thick bags matter). Lastly, the fast freeze that he gets in their freezer is outstanding. Lastly plus one, they're fine people and I'm rooting for them in a hostile industry, and I'm happy to drop some coin there whenever I can.

fb
Are they a licensed processor and how much do they charge?

Yup. You need to leave them unbagged so all the slime/bacteria can drain away from the fish. Regular cubed ice will bruise the fish.

If you will end-up freezing the fish at home it is much better to have it done by a processor ASAP; much better product. Back in the day we didn't have this option You can either follow directions or learn the hard way; makes life much more pleasant for us who take the time to post directions.

But bagging and burying fish for several days in salt ice does NOT harm the flesh and they dont get soggy either. As previously stated I have been doing this for YEARS and yes- the fish gets wiped down before being put in the bag.

Interesting. So let me understand this correctly. None of you spray fresh water on your fish while you’re gutting them? I’m struggling with that one. I want to get slime and blood and scales off the fish. How can you do that without a fresh water source?

Interesting. So let me understand this correctly. None of you spray fresh water on your fish while you’re gutting them? I’m struggling with that one. I want to get slime and blood and scales off the fish. How can you do that without a fresh water source?
I have always blasted the scales off with fresh water and sprayed the inside out after cleaning. I think everyone just has their way and we won't ever agree on which is correct haha

I try to avoid fresh water, I bleed and gut on the boat and use my salt water wash down to rinse them off before packing in the ice cooler. The system gets messed when I’m lazy and stray from processing right away which sometimes happens if it’s s crazy bite or something. It is pretty messy for the boat though and a self bailing deck or good on-board cleaning station is a must.

I think the freshwater thing is being misinterpreted here. I’ve never had a problem freshwater blasting the skin and body cavity... the membranes are attached unless you screwed up gutting, fresh water isn’t going to do anything to the flesh, the skin and membranes keep it out.

Once filleted out, that’s the key, dab with a towel, no water at all. You don’t want water on the flesh.

As for icing, ideal is like others have said, gut and gill, pack in chip ice, make sure it drains. What’s the point of messing with a bag then ice, I don’t see what it adds if you do head on, gut and gill, other than makes thing complicated. Only makes sense if you fillet then ice.

AVOID USING ANY FRESH WATER!!!

I've never heard the no freshwater thing...in my experience, neither have processing plants all over Alaska and BC who would be dead in the water without freshwater applications in their seafood processing. Curious what the logic is behind such a comment

Curious what the logic is behind such a comment
Process one fish and don't touch it with freshwater-cut off a filet and leave on a plate in the fridge for 3 days.

Do the same with another fish but rinse well with freshwater and once again leave a filet from it on a plate in the fridge for three days.

Sniff test....

Then you'll see what I mean- the freshwater rinsed filet would be fine for a Labrador Retriever but that's about it.

happy-black-lab-dog.jpg

When I can't make it to the WCVI I fish for Chinook Salmon on Lake Coeur d'Alene. When I do I'm well over 300 miles from the salt so naturally process the catch using fresh water. Never had any problem whatsoever.

Been cleaning my fish with fresh water since 1975. Always found my fish to be excellent quality. Never had an issue. Yes, I dry them with paper towels always. Not buying the fresh water affects quality argument. I normally would not respond to a thread like this but, I’ve got dick all else to do since I can’t fricking fish yet.

Back