Truck Tires

Have ran a couple sets of Hankook Dynapro AT/M's also known as RF 10's and they have performed quite well on my GM diesels providing decent all around traction, tolerable noise on highway driving and what I consider to be good wear on a heavy high torque diesel pickup towing heavy in the summer.

General Grabber AT2's. Almost the same tread type as the BF Goodrich but a little more sipping. Ok in the snow although they are snow rated with the symbol. Good snows for me are the Uniroyal Laredo's HD/T. Great in snow.
I have run Goodrich T/A's. Too many sets. Good tires, but in my opinion what makes them good is what shortens their life as well. Rubber is on the soft side. I was doing a fair bit of forest service rd travels and the tires were just getting eaten up. Had the M55's as well. Interesting point about the older ones as I found them to be crap in the snow. I think Cooper makes a good tire as well.

I’ve run toyo’s and duratracs on all my welding rigs. Just switched to the falken wildpeaks at3. Alot quieter on the road and getting 2 liters better per 100 ks. We’ll see how the last.

I am on my second set of Toy open country AT/2. Got 90k out of my last set. 2500 turbo diesel. Seemed like the best tire for the size in my application. 17" E rated in approximately 34.5 inch tires. More than BFG, less than Wranglers. Good luck.

I have the same truck and applications as the OP.
Have had BFGs and no issues.
Got a deal on Duratracks and was happy to stay with them when replacement time camp along. About 25% less $.

I just got some Falken Wildpeak AT3W’s and they are awesome! Super mean looking, great wet traction, no road noise and at my local ram dealership has a promo right now so I got them installed and taxes in for less than a grand!

View attachment 45728
I have those tires as well. Good as per your comments but they aren’t up to my standards in snow. They are actually the worst tire I’ve ever used in snow. I ended up getting some actual winter tires on black rims

That’s not good news :(
I obviously haven’t used them in snow yet. The reviews online were really good in snow.

The strongest tires out there for overall carcass strength are Toyo M-55 or if not available I buy Nitto extreme terra grapplers. We run our fleet of dodge diesels on these mostly off road with pretty good success. Both these tires will resist rock bruising better than any others. We run them with chains for the winter because it best suits our off road traction needs. We get a year out of them probably less than 15 k kms but all off road in 4 wheel drive. I tend to buy Cooper Discoverer M and S as a highway ice tire, they provide very good traction on ice and snow. The Coopers don't like to run with chains as they are very soft, I just chain up when neededed and remove them as soon as conditions improve.

I have the bigger brother to your truck so you might be alright with a lighter truck.
In the snow, weight is your friend. I usually take a few snow days off if it snows anyways because other drivers are VERY dangerous out there!

In the snow, weight is your friend. I usually take a few snow days off if it snows anyways because other drivers are VERY dangerous out there!
Sorry I meant that maybe your tires have less load rating and maybe a different compound that works better in snow.

540E1779-8D50-44CC-A08F-2EBC5BADB989.jpeg Not sure what to do as we had a nasty blowout on my 16" BFG KO rear tire (5 Years old with 45k ) yesterday near Westwold, BC on highway 97.
2004 F350 short box with Northern Lite 8'11 camper towing a journey Jon boat. Truck, airbags meet legal weight requirements.
Damage to box but safely no one hurt but scary needless to say. ICBC claim on comprehensive firstly.
Had cell coverage so BCAA was there within the hour with a 20 ton jack and some kind hearted BC forest firefighters came forward and protected us from the oncoming vehicles laying out safety cones, etc.
I am sure many have faced similar situations so looking for further advice on what best to do. In the meantime I quickly replaced both rear tires with the same BFG KO tires. My Vancouver truck sits mostly with the tires exposed to the sun but I have checked them many times for chalking. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Bigger tires and rims are one logical solution but a costly upgrade.
Thanks in advance.

View attachment 45999 Not sure what to do as we had a nasty blowout on my 16" BFG KO rear tire (5 Years old with 45k ) yesterday near Westwold, BC on highway 97.
2004 F350 short box with Northern Lite 8'11 camper towing a journey Jon boat. Truck, airbags meet legal weight requirements.
Damage to box but safely no one hurt but scary needless to say. ICBC claim on comprehensive firstly.
Had cell coverage so BCAA was there within the hour with a 20 ton jack and some kind hearted BC forest firefighters came forward and protected us from the oncoming vehicles laying out safety cones, etc.
I am sure many have faced similar situations so looking for further advice on what best to do. In the meantime I quickly replaced both rear tires with the same BFG KO tires. My Vancouver truck sits mostly with the tires exposed to the sun but I have checked them many times for chalking. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Bigger tires and rims are one logical solution but a costly upgrade.
Thanks in advance.

I had the same year Ford truck with a camper, I couldn't find 16 inch tires with a high enough load rating for my heavy camper (it had a slide).
So I went with 19.5 Vision Heavy Haulers and load range G tires. bumped my ratings up to 4500lbs per tire. Helped rid of a lot of sway, it rode like a tank when unloaded though. Got rid of the truck, the wheels are still sitting in my shed though, gonna put them on Kijiji one of these days.

View attachment 45999 Not sure what to do as we had a nasty blowout on my 16" BFG KO rear tire (5 Years old with 45k ) yesterday near Westwold, BC on highway 97.
Thanks in advance.
Sorry but if a tire as old and worn as you say did that to my rig there is NO way in hell the same tires would go back on. Just me. Rip the flare off?

HM

Those are the original KOs (as identified by the outer edge of the tread). Maybe bought 5 years ago but when were they made!?! Check the date code on the sidewall and look up the year/month of manufacture.

Thanks guy just returned to Vancouver. Had to get a quick fix at Kal Tire in Vernon to continue on with our trip plans. $550 for 2 tires and an alignment at fleet rates. I will check the front tires (45k) for date info, wear pattern, etc. and hit a reputable tire shop looking for recommendations and then ICBC for comprehensive repairs. We hit the Coq Hwy 5 thru December-January to visit the grandkids in Vernon so tires best suited to snow and ice conditions is imperative. Always a white knuckle 4w dilemma.

Back