2019 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from the nook. Prawning is still not bad. Long as you stay away from the commercial boat :mad:. Or he stays away from my traps. Fished a bit for salmon, but never caught anything worth keeping. My son and couple of buddies and I decided to do a charter to learn how to anchor up probably. We had a great time and ended up with two Hali’s. 45lb and a 25lb The road into the nook is in not to bad of shape, still had its usual rough spots.
Jeremy said crabbing was fabulous

John do you have a Scotsman?
Yes we bought the whole set up a couple of years ago at HC But haven’t used it yet. We want to go with someone that knew what they where doing be we tried it. Not to keen on dragging 30ft of 3/8 chain over the side of the boat. I’ll have to look at getting some thing to protect the side. J.S

Yes we bought the whole set up a couple of years ago at HC But haven’t used it yet. We want to go with someone that knew what they where doing be we tried it. Not to keen on dragging 30ft of 3/8 chain over the side of the boat. I’ll have to look at getting some thing to protect the side. J.S
I had the chain rub problem and solved it by having one guy hold a 5 gallon bucket sideways over the side of the boat above the gunnel and having the chain slide over the top of the bucket into the water missing the boat.

I had the chain rub problem and solved it by having one guy hold a 5 gallon bucket sideways over the side of the boat above the gunnel and having the chain slide over the top of the bucket into the water missing the boat.
Ya I’ll have to try something. The chain will wreck the gel coating . I heard of someone using a piece of carpet over the side of the boat.

Hit Whittlestone, Kirby, Cree and Swale over our 3 day trip. Ended up with 6 springs kept, 3 in the 8 to 10 pound range, and 3 between 15 and 18. Lost 3 others in the larger size class. Released numerous small legal keepers. Overall had decent action but have had better other years at the same time. There was a weather change Thursday-Friday which I think may have thrown things off a bit. Small needlefish hootchies were best. Some squid around but not tons in the shallows. Small herring in the deeper tacks.

Hey- maybe you all can help- the road to bamfield (either from Youbou or Port Alberni)... is it as awful as everyone seems to say? Taking the man out in two weeks for a birthday surprise trip- but I’ve heard that under about a 24’ you don’t want to go by water from port after about noon. Well... our last day there, I don’t want to have to leave that early! So rather go by road if it’s not horrific. Also- have any of you been to both McKay Bay and Pacific Gateway? I am trying to pick... by tomorrow!

Thanks from a newbie to the area!

Hey- maybe you all can help- the road to bamfield (either from Youbou or Port Alberni)... is it as awful as everyone seems to say? Taking the man out in two weeks for a birthday surprise trip- but I’ve heard that under about a 24’ you don’t want to go by water from port after about noon. Well... our last day there, I don’t want to have to leave that early! So rather go by road if it’s not horrific. Also- have any of you been to both McKay Bay and Pacific Gateway? I am trying to pick... by tomorrow!

Thanks from a newbie to the area!
I've gone to Bam town by boat down the canal and towed in. Personally I doubt I will ever trailer it again. The roughness of the road is variable and can subject your trailer and boat hull to damage but even worse is the awful dust this time of year that will find every nook and cranny of your boat. Do yourself a favour and run the canal if your boat is sea worthy and up to it. The smallest boat I've run the canal in was 18'and I had no problems. I've seen smaller boats do it. Afternoon winds can be a problem but you could wait them out and run back to alberni later in the afternoon say 5pm or later.

I've gone to Bam town by boat down the canal and towed in. Personally I doubt I will ever trailer it again. The roughness of the road is variable and can subject your trailer and boat hull to damage but even worse is the awful dust this time of year that will find every nook and cranny of your boat. Do yourself a favour and run the canal if your boat is sea worthy and up to it. The smallest boat I've run the canal in was 18'and I had no problems. I've seen smaller boats do it. Afternoon winds can be a problem but you could wait them out and run back to alberni later in the afternoon say 5pm or later.
Thanks for the insight! We will be in a 17. Do you know how long it takes from port Alberni by boat vs by road if you aren’t towing?

Thanks for the insight! We will be in a 17. Do you know how long it takes from port Alberni by boat vs by road if you aren’t towing?
Depending on your cruise speed you should do the canal in 1.25 - 1.5 hours. It's a 35 mile run by boat. By road probably 3 hours towing. you can drive faster but you will likely regret it.

Last edited:
I fish from a kayak and I fish around Nanaimo on the salt a lot. Is there good /ok fishing close to the town
And what's working for salmon knowing I don't troll

Brian’s message is pretty well spot on.

I’ve done it many times in our 17’ centre console with a 115hp Yamaha on the back. Comfortable cruising at about 22-25mph gets us there in about 80 mins.

Obviously weather can be a wild card however the silver lining is that if the winds are up a bit on the cruise home, you are coming with the wind and waves more often than not.

Brian’s message is pretty well spot on.

I’ve done it many times in our 17’ centre console with a 115hp Yamaha on the back. Comfortable cruising at about 22-25mph gets us there in about 80 mins.

Obviously weather can be a wild card however the silver lining is that if the winds are up a bit on the cruise home, you are coming with the wind and waves more often than not.
Thanks so much for that feedback! That’s quite comforting to hear. Is that spot affected at a certain wind speed or is it more tide related? Sorry I’m just a female who likes her i’s dotted and t’s Crossed!!!

Thanks so much for that feedback! That’s quite comforting to hear. Is that spot affected at a certain wind speed or is it more tide related? Sorry I’m just a female who likes her i’s dotted and t’s Crossed!!!
I'm no meteorologist but it has something to do with the warm air currents, the narrow canal, and the high vertical mountains on each side. The afternoon winds are classic there everyday around noon and usually die off in the early evening unless it is in fact storming. I'm sure someone here can explain what causes it better or you can google it. It is a normal phenomenon.

Good luck with your trip. Bring us back a report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back