Status
Not open for further replies.
Was out today before the announcement was made. Went 6/12 at aldridge for salmon. They're all over the water column. 63ft-149ft. We had a killer day on the water and came in to really bad news
What are you doing fishin down in that neck of the woods..did Nick M say it was OK ..hehe

Out today off of Pedder. Picked up one at 121cm. Couple of other nibbles for us but just the one that stuck. Picked up 8 nice crab on the way in.. Counted about a dozen other boats in the general area inside and outside of us. Not much chatter on the radio so don't know how others did.

Hi All! With all the closures this year... coming out from Alberta will have to be a carefully planned excursion...
Wondering if the Pink will be running thru Sooke about mid June this year... or is that too early?
Thanks in advance!

That is a bit early, I would say mid July on is a better bet. There often are a few around earlier but not a sure thing and not in big numbers like later on.

Hi All! With all the closures this year... coming out from Alberta will have to be a carefully planned excursion...
Wondering if the Pink will be running thru Sooke about mid June this year... or is that too early?
Thanks in advance!
the Fraser pink return peaks in mid to lat Aug in Johnson Straight

the Fraser pink return peaks in mid to lat Aug in Johnson Straight
this is SOOKE reports.....
mid july to mid aug is when they will hit hard here "normally" if you come to sooke pm when your coming etc and ill help you out best i can

Perhaps this belongs in the Renfrew reports, but I caught a halibut today past Jordan River that was 128 cm, measured several times, so released. Took me 40 minutes to get it to the side of the boat; tough battle! I wish it was just a little smaller! Only my second halibut ever caught. Was bothered by a half dozen dogfish too. Caught in 430 feet of water on a salmon tail & herring.

Perhaps this belongs in the Renfrew reports, but I caught a halibut today past Jordan River that was 128 cm, measured several times, so released. Took me 40 minutes to get it to the side of the boat; tough battle! I wish it was just a little smaller! Only my second halibut ever caught. Was bothered by a half dozen dogfish too. Caught in 430 feet of water on a salmon tail & herring.

Wow, that deserves some sort of award or medal; first to deal with doggies in 430', then to battle up a hali from the centre of the earth and then having to release it for nothing to show for it. I feel for you, man!

Its been awhile since my last confession....as reports are slow i will put a bunch here. Fishing was good two weeks back. Hit oak bay flats for two hours after work on the wednesday. Got an 8lb on andrew p sandlance spoon and green flasher in 75 ft first 3 minutes. Loads of bait sround. Few days later went to sidney coal island and got another about same size, same gear. Hour later hit one around 14lbs. 3 jumps and five runs. Would not come near boat. Sweet. Then lost a rigger ball and all gear on one side on submerged crab float sidney channel. Doh! Then busted rod tip on a tree coming home. Went out next day to bechey head. 3 chinook between 6-10 on hoootchies. Fun and shitshows are still to be had on the water. Enjoy! Just waiting for a catamaran at airlie australia, going to whitsunday islands to snorkel and drink beer. Enjoy the water and the time on it.

Finally got out for first time salmon fishing this year Sunday morning. Got to Cheanuh a bit after sunrise and only one truck and trailer in the lot, charter boats still tied up and hardly anyone mooring their boat yet. Like a ghost town. Dropped lines at Creyke and trolled out of the sun into the heavy fog at the head. Lines just off the bottom got into one right at the head,gaff release. Got swept out off the head during that time and was fighting the current to get back to that spot it was ripping good by then. Never got back where I was aiming for but did hook up 3 more times out in the deep lol. Lines still deep for me 123 herring aid glow flasher and green/glow spoon hooked 3 of 4 . Great first trip of the year for me and got a way better slip for the summer this year at the marina there were so many to chose from.

Can we fish west of Otter Point this year? I'm asking because I read somewhere we are allowed to fish all the way to Sheringham Point now. So I just checked the DFO site https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s20-eng.html and figured there is an all finfish ban in place west of Otter Point like last year. So where can I verify if we can fish west of Otter Point to Sheringham Point?

Yes. There is no longer a fin fish ban there. Still no-retention of chinook until Aug.

Can we fish west of Otter Point this year? I'm asking because I read somewhere we are allowed to fish all the way to Sheringham Point now. So I just checked the DFO site https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s20-eng.html and figured there is an all finfish ban in place west of Otter Point like last year. So where can I verify if we can fish west of Otter Point to Sheringham Point?
It appears DFO updated the page for area 20 now and removed the finfish ban west of Otter Point.

Out at sunrise this morning. First pass fish on and steady action until I quit at 9:30. Must have hooked up 10-11 times biggest probably 12lb. Was pretty deep for me again until near the end I noticed lots jumping and finning so raised one side up to 23' and within a minute was playing a fish. Green/glow skinny G had most action.

Out at sunrise this morning. First pass fish on and steady action until I quit at 9:30. Must have hooked up 10-11 times biggest probably 12lb. Was pretty deep for me again until near the end I noticed lots jumping and finning so raised one side up to 23' and within a minute was playing a fish. Green/glow skinny G had most action.
Just came back home this afternoon. I went to the bank, fished for Halibut on the South West side of the " regular Chicken Ranch " where we found them last year, and had one into the boat 5 minutes after the bait ( white grub) hit the bottom. Fished Klanahan River mouth, Tussiat Falls, Hole in the wall, saw no bait, nor any salmon on the sounder. South East wind came up so I quickly pulled great and hammered all the way home. Great to see the number of halibut similar to last year, but typical June on the Chinook. Lots of Coho off Nanaimo, but not where I was today.

Went out again Tuesday eve 4-7:30 fishing was great blue chrome skinny g was hot lure. On the downside had one of those pre made blue cord things between the cable and ball snap so lost some gear. Also saw about the worst example of c&r i've ever seen. Guy in the white 18" with the arch over his canvas that hooked up at Bechey Head around 5:00 you and your bud are morons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back