Truck Tires

bpsuls

This might turn into a ford vs gm thread but I need new tires for my 2008 2500HD 6.0L truck. Has a set of DuravisHD tires on it now but they came with the truck and are not notable. the front ones are getting sketchy so i am replacing all four.
My plan had been to go with the tried and true BF Goodrich All Terrain T/As, but I would imagine there are many other great options out there. They did serve me well on my Jeep though. The BFs are expensive, probable the most in the category in fact, and likely will make my mileage worse though that is not a top priority for me. Mostly i tow the boat with it but do some hunting with it so i want some capability. Good in snow is a bonus.
A close second I am considering is the Toyo Open Country A/TII, i had Toyo M606's a while back and really liked them.
Happy to hear feedback from others!

Go with Toyo M-55's and you will never need anything else. Have been running them for years with never an issue.....

Had BFG All Terrain KOs on my last few trucks, wish I could put them on my current truck. Every truck owner in my shop has these on their personal vehicles. Great snow tire if you need that option as well.

I just put Toyo AT II Extremes on last week. I only have about 20km on them...lol. They rode nice home from the tire shop and get good all around ratings. I had Dick Cepek Fun Country’s on it before and they were a good tire but they cupped on me at 72 000kms. I think partially my fault with running them a bit higher pressure and no load on them. I live in the land of customized trucks and see a lot of different tires here. Duratracs....BFG and Toyos seem the most popular.

Attachments

• F18B5C18-453C-4761-9800-EB426A313F6F.jpeg
    F18B5C18-453C-4761-9800-EB426A313F6F.jpeg
    408.1 KB · Views: 85
Had mud T/A Km's for 30 years, must say the new KM3 are getting junk reviews. Also cooper STT Pro's, excellent tire but slippery in snow, used 35x12.50x15, now running 305x70x17's. 2 years ago after seeing ALL the mine, logging, and bush trucks had the same tires on in Northern BC= I listened. Changed to Goodyear Duratracks, love them, ride great, grip all terrains and have provided me less need for air locker engagement as I still have traction in snow. Also can install studs. No long term wear history yet as in first year cant see any wear on the Tacoma. This may differ on heavy truck? Great price and always on sale at C-Tire.

HM

Go with Toyo M-55's and you will never need anything else. Have been running them for years with never an issue.....
I used to work in a toyo tire shop a very long time ago. They made the m55s back then too and are very durable but I remember them turning to hockey pucks in the cold. Slippery. Has that been your experience?

I went with the Cooper SST with kevlar sides(armor tech 3)heavy duty tire http://ca.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-s-t-maxx.aspx

they are a hybrid between aggressive mud and AT and I have to admit one of the best tires I ever ran , I came back from Calgary after hunting in nov a few years back and the whole trans Canada was **** snow ice just horrid and was sold on them after going thru all of that with hardly ever slipping. i think im on year 3 now and they have only worn down about 20 %. prior I had hercules and what garbage never stayed balance and slippery , Thats where I noticed it the most as I drove on them to calgary and back with SST thought I was i complete new truck.
When i did look into all of the brands I wanted the deepest amount of rubber (thread depth) as alot have hardly any right from new.

Out here in the boonies BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A are the standard issue tire. I put on a little over 50,000 km a year on my trucks in all sorts of weather and terrain as do many others in our industry, these have proven to be one of the best tire out there.

I went with the Cooper SST with kevlar sides(armor tech 3)heavy duty tire http://ca.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-s-t-maxx.aspx

they are a hybrid between aggressive mud and AT and I have to admit one of the best tires I ever ran , I came back from Calgary after hunting in nov a few years back and the whole trans Canada was **** snow ice just horrid and was sold on them after going thru all of that with hardly ever slipping. i think im on year 3 now and they have only worn down about 20 %. prior I had hercules and what garbage never stayed balance and slippery , Thats where I noticed it the most as I drove on them to calgary and back with SST thought I was i complete new truck.
When i did look into all of the brands I wanted the deepest amount of rubber (thread depth) as alot have hardly any right from new.
I put a set of Cooper WeatherMasters on my wife’s Grand Cherokee for winter tires. The Jeep is pretty good so far in all conditions but her Coopers have performed excellent. Not sure about the AT and summers but for grip in the winter crazy good. I could stud them but honestly no reason too.

I used to work in a toyo tire shop a very long time ago. They made the m55s back then too and are very durable but I remember them turning to hockey pucks in the cold. Slippery. Has that been your experience?

The "old" original version of the Toyo was not Snow rated, just built super heavy duty, so they may well have been a bit slick in the snow. They are now rated for snow and have the applicable emblems on them. Extremely durable and tremendous traction in the snow and mud etc. Incredibly tough in the blast rock logging roads that we have here on the north Island. There are a lot more of the logging pick-ups running around on M-55's than any other similar tires for a reason. Good luck in your decision making.

I've had Michilin LTX M/S on my truck as long as I can remember (memory is getting shorter every day) and they still have lot's of tread but do appear to be cracking. Someone told me they stopped making them because they lasted too long (they weren't making enough money). Can anyone confirm? I've been very happy with them and would buy again if available.

I went from BFG ATs to Wrangler duratrac. The duratracs are a much better tire in most respects. Downsides are louder, less life, and less fuel mileage. Grip, especially in loose stuff or snow is so much better...and isn't that why most of us buy expensive all terrain tires?

I guess some people just buy them for looks, in which case the BFGs are probably fine.

Cooper ST max. Best tire out there. BFG are garbage compared to Coopers!!
totally agree with you i had BF on one time and one time only i think driving away it lost a 1/4 inch of tread only got 40 .000 km on them worst tire out there . my buddy who owns the tire store showed me the best test ever get the tires side by side and push down on them... try it you will be surprised...

the Coopers look interesting. Anyone have the A/T3 model?

I’ve had these on my personal truck going on 7 years and 60,000 km. I think there a good tire and there still going strong. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy them again for the type of driving I do with my truck. (Used to go into back country lakes and streams from fernie to golden on both sides of the Rockies. Now just hauling rig)

We run duratracs on our work trucks. First set I got 105,000 km before my first flat on logging roads. Replaced with another set and got 85,000 km before first flat on logging roads.

Back