2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening bite off porlier last night. Put in around 4pm slow to start then picked up as we moved towards the low slack. Hits anywhere from 50-145, moved up as we got closer to sundown. Hit all sorts of gear. 6 keepers to the boat

I prawned for two hours last night with some guests. TWO prawns between four traps in my sweet spot. And only one undersize crab in two traps.

But commercial prawn fishing is totally sustainable, they only take the oversize bred out females....right....

I think they have a mesh size restriction - but dont quote me.

They do, but how are there no smalls left after the commercial opening? Mesh size restriction achieves nothing. Just another fabulous idea from our illustrious scientific DFO.

Beautiful morning on the water ... released 4 feisty keepers ... a +/- 20 and a high teener of Roger Curtis and a low teener and a +/- 11 off Worlcombe. Was able to easily release all 4 without touching the fish and could have easily tailed the fish ... starting to think about not using a net when fishing solo during when we hit “catch and retain” season.

Fished Thrasher area today from 1215-430pm
Water depth 250-600’
Rigger depth 70-120’
Spoons 1@3.5” and 1@4”
Think me and wife caught 8+
Think only 2 would have made keepers
4 were long line releases...hadn’t had many spit the hook all season, but today 4! ‍♂️
1 coho, would have kept it if only it was clipped....
Beautiful day out there...the crossing back was like glass...

Beautiful morning on the water ... released 4 feisty keepers ... a +/- 20 and a high teener of Roger Curtis and a low teener and a +/- 11 off Worlcombe. Was able to easily release all 4 without touching the fish and could have easily tailed the fish ... starting to think about not using a net when fishing solo during when we hit “catch and retain” season.

I’m with you...haven’t used a net much this year and in large part due to fishing a lot solo...

Made the run to Porlier this am.
Good action around the morning low at 147 157 on 4” herring aid and various colors of splatter back hootchies. Handful were legal sized but rather small average. Lots of Minnies mixed in.
Was sporadic after that, bites would come in flurries. Beautiful spot. Not a ton of bait around though

Great morning out at South Bowen. We’ve been into 8 fish so far, up to mid teens. Almost all action on chovies between 100 and 130 ft. Sadly only a few boats out here.

Great morning out at South Bowen. We’ve been into 8 fish so far, up to mid teens. Almost all action on chovies between 100 and 130 ft. Sadly only a few boats out here.

Thanks for the report.

How are the swells? I’m thinking of heading out soon but am short on time

Last edited:
PS - I was out 3 days ago fishing the same area. Glow 3.5” spoons worked almost equally as well after the bait ran out.

HITW put in a couple of hrs today at tide change. One under in first 5 minutes (60 ft) gets the heart pumping but that was all she wrote . Saw other boats catch (100 ft) as well. Lots of bait showing. Still a better day than most.

I watched a prawn boat pull traps in the harbour, right around the freighters, in 135 feet of water. Has anyone prawned the harbour? Probably the last spot I ever would have considered.

I watched a prawn boat pull traps in the harbour, right around the freighters, in 135 feet of water. Has anyone prawned the harbour? Probably the last spot I ever would have considered.
Did you see any prawn in the traps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back