Why are there Nets on the Fraser

If only it was that easy. Which political Scum shall we replace them with?
There is not a party that will "listen to Sound Science and data provided" or one that will enforce anything on Fraser Fishery.

Then Sell it all the whole shootin match .....give up.....become a poacher........ What ever. Get a whale watching flag and 6 300 hp motors and sell Whale tourism tickets.
If you dont stand up and be heard......you will have way less then you do now period.

Oh the Passive I give up Canadian. Thats our downfall.

GET INVOLVED!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pictures and drone video of the fishing taking place needs to be posted online and those bands called out through public opinion. If the pictures are posted on the social media platforms often and include a simple message that so long as non-selective gill nets are used by anyone in rivers on a fish species as it nears its reproduction stage then any conservation efforts will fail. Keep those pics and that message out there...tie it into any negative news on the SRKW's population. Then if Fraser River Chinook populations continue to decline and whales continue to die over the coming years ...the public will remember the campaign and demand an end to gill nets. Otherwise DFO , FN and the NGO's will spin it and blame something else.

Then Sell it all the whole shootin match .....give up.....become a poacher........ What ever. Get a whale watching flag and 6 300 hp motors and sell Whale tourism tickets.
If you dont stand up and be heard......you will have way less then you do now period.

Oh the Passive I give up Canadian. Thats our downfall.

GET INVOLVED!

Easy there big fella. Lol.
Not sure where in my post I said give up? Or that I give up?

I write my letters, attend the meetings, stay educated, get involved and help to spread the word and educate the people around me.

You don’t know me and I take offence to your post.

Just pointing out that all the political parties suck, feed you lip service and do not have the balls to do what needs to be done.

People just have a hard time voting for conservative given there past environmental record. Also many on here probably voted Liberal last time so they have a hard time admitting to themselves that there past vote caused their fishery to be closed.

There is probably many Liberal candidates that are pro fisheries and pro environment but JT's government is not.

You could protest vote green or NDP but what's the point? Green are pretty tightly aligned with ENGO's and the NDP won't win enough to influence things. What has the Federal NDP party done currently for the island fishery?

Their past vote did not "cause" the fishery to be closed. It is a little more complicated than that. We have no idea how the Conservatives would have handled the situation if they were in power. They are in a wonderful position to say they would have handled it differently. Same can be said about the SNC Lavalin ordeal.

I want to hear what they have for ideas. If they are willing to commit funds into enhancement, habitat rehab, increased enforcement and increased regulations then great! I have not heard a peep of actual policy ideas out of them, but for some on here, they are already the saviors in advance.....

Ideally, we elect a government this pro-fisheries and pro-environment.

It is obvious that the decision was political. My point was that you can't draw a straight line between people voting for the liberals and chinook being non-retention this year. I think that is unfair to the electorate. If everyone had a crystal ball and were able to see how the parties actually govern prior to voting then elections would be much, much easier. Obviously, we don't have that luxury. All we have is what a party promises and their past history governing. On that point, I have not seen much of a plan from the Conservatives and their past history is pretty shoddy. My vote is open, they need to show me they have a plan is all.

Last edited:
Well we do know what the track record of the past government was when we had the Cohen Commission and the final result in 2012. There were 75 recommendations and none of them were put into action until the current government came to power. Say what you may but the Conservatives were no friend of the salmon and by all accounts unless you are connected to the oil patch then you count for squat.
http://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/206/30.../cohen/cohen_commission/LOCALHOS/EN/INDEX.HTM

And for the record I don't care who you vote for as long as you know what your voting for beside chances are your vote won't count as you probably don't live in a swing riding. I'll say one more thing... not impressed by any leaders of the regular parties. Minority government maybe?

Last edited:
It's no wonder the fisheries are in the state they are in. You can tell as before that the rec guys are just all talk and no bite on here. To even consider voting the same government is ridiculous. This thread was started to address netting on Fraser. My take is I really don't believe we should be netting an endangered run. But I do respect first nations ability for ceremonial if they choose to do so. But in saying that I am saddened that any would exercise that right when it is known where the stocks are at.

What is most important though is DFO monitoring the illegal netting? Is there enforcement in the legitimate openings? What is the percentage of openings compared to last year? Those are the right questions to ask.

Early run chinooks are in better shape in the river, have higher fat content and are just better either to eat or sell. This results in a fish that is in high demand and in the end will be heavily targeted legally and illegally. The Liberals through DFO and the courts have turned over the Fraser river to FN to fish and manage as they please. DFO will pay lip service to their role in this but the die have been cast. Human greed is not race dependent thus the long term health of Fraser river stocks, not just chinook, does not look very bright.

Pictures and drone video of the fishing taking place needs to be posted online and those bands called out through public opinion. If the pictures are posted on the social media platforms often and include a simple message that so long as non-selective gill nets are used by anyone in rivers on a fish species as it nears its reproduction stage then any conservation efforts will fail. Keep those pics and that message out there...tie it into any negative news on the SRKW's population. Then if Fraser River Chinook populations continue to decline and whales continue to die over the coming years ...the public will remember the campaign and demand an end to gill nets. Otherwise DFO , FN and the NGO's will spin it and blame something else.
100%. Agree with you. If we can SHOW the public and average joe what’s going on In the Fraser i think it’ll be a huge benefit to our case.

100%. Agree with you. If we can SHOW the public and average joe what’s going on In the Fraser i think it’ll be a huge benefit to our case.
A cautionary note that we are making dangerous assumptions absent any direct facts....no one has yet provided any direct actual evidence of illegal netting. So far anything I have seen isn't very likely to pass the evidentiary standard required to meet the crown's obligations to advance a case. I would welcome anyone who has any actual evidence to post it here for the world to see...or in the absence of same, lets avoid speculating.

You guys keep saying illegal netting.
Last season people didnt even have to illegally net. There were so many legal openings that nobody even had to poach.
Again this is not FN fault. This is DFO!

We are nearing close to 20 legal openings so far this season, more than half of these openings do not even have counters to regulate and moniter the openings.

Again this has zero blame towards FN,
Our government and DFO must be held.accountable on a season where conservation is supposed to be our number #1 priority.

Last season people didnt even have to illegally net. There were so many legal openings that nobody even had to poach.

We are nearing close to 20 legal openings so far this season, more than half of these openings do not even have counters to regulate and moniter the openings.

Our government and DFO must be held.accountable on a season where conservation is supposed to be our number #1 priority.
Well FN can have a look in the mirror when the Fraser gravy train is drained.

Searun...if you read my last post I don't mention illegal fishing, I never mentioned FN directly...its all about the fishing gear. There is nothing in the constitution that says gill nets are sacred and untouchable. Make the nets the enemy as that is our only hope of saving Fraser Chinook as far as I see. When Fraser stocks continue to decline and whales continue to die the message is simple....if you can't fish selectively...you shouldn't be fishing.

Actually, that also isn't exactly correct. The FN's are required to closely monitor and report catch. They have several monitoring methods, which are basically the same as what is used in the Rec sector as you can't possibly be everywhere all the time monitoring catch.

Searun...if you read my last post I don't mention illegal fishing, I never mentioned FN directly...its all about the fishing gear. There is nothing in the constitution that says gill nets are sacred and untouchable. Make the nets the enemy as that is our only hope of saving Fraser Chinook as far as I see. When Fraser stocks continue to decline and whales continue to die the message is simple....if you can't fish selectively...you shouldn't be fishing.
I get what you were saying. I was responding to the SHOW them comment, and the notion we think that using what I perceive to be intimidation tactics to shift behaviour is an effective strategy to influence change. I am bothered by all this attacking FN's fisheries and the methodology they are employing to catch their fish...who are we "telling" them how to fish? Just the same as me telling you how you catch your fish, that isn't very likely to capture your imagination or interest in changing up how you roll anchovies. I might prefer to see selective harvest methods used, but its not an effective strategy IMO to tell FN's what they are to do.

Showing an alternative that allows them as fishers to perhaps be more effective, selective, and gain more economic rent per fish because it can be marketed as sustainably harvested for higher prices might work...but again, we won't get there by telling FN's. We might have a hope by having engaged respectful discussion. We might also get there by finding ways to help FN's communities to participate more fully as service providers to the public fishery so they can realize a stronger economic benefit from the fishery.

And, back to my original point, we might gain greater reconciliation by actually listening to FN's communities and getting the facts about their fishery, needs and interests, just the same as we need to get facts around some of the assertions there is some level of poaching or whatever bad stuff people are complaining about.

Lastly, making the nets the enemy, simply fails to fully honour FN's fisheries and values. I would like to get better informed on what actually shapes FN's fishery values and where there might be places to introduce discussion of other ideas before even attempting to engage in discussion around what might be an appropriate pathway forward towards exploring selective harvest methodology that could be adopted.

, we might gain greater reconciliation by actually listening to FN's communities and getting the facts about their fishery, needs and interests, just the same as we need to get facts around some of the assertions there is some level of poaching or whatever bad stuff people are complaining about.

When you sit down with First Nations on the Fraser there message is laud and clear. A dead fish is a dead fish, Let us sell FSC fish. Let us decide what to do with our Quota.

The Supreme court may of taken away our quota and gave it to First Nations. However they put tight restrictions on what you can legally do with FSC fish.

Last edited:
Back