2019 Crab Regs - Two Escape Rings

Your solution needs to ensure there are 2 escape rings that are 105mm in diameter to allow small crabs to exit before they get consumed by the larger ones or lose claws etc. The larger crabs quickly cannibalize the small guys. There are reasons behind the regulation change, so when retrofitting traps we need to keep those in mind. Its not about having traps ghost fish although having escape rings does help.
Is there scientific data / papers to back up the quick cannibalism? I am genuinely interested to read up on the science. I would have thought if cannibalism is rampant I would find body parts of smaller crabs in my traps and crab flesh in the jaws of the cannibals.

It's attitudes like I read here on this thread that give the Public Fishery a bad name. Good thing for increased enforcement coming this year, because you will need to replace your traps after they are confiscated. We asked for an education and awareness approach this season during the transition, now I see that was a mistake.

These attitudes you are talking about are just the result of boiling over frustration, we both know that. It's hard not to be when it seems all of our fisheries are taking a hit at the same time with more major culprits not suffering any consequence at all. Anyone I fish with will follow the new rules but you can bet we will ***** about them along the way.

Back