2019 Nanaimo Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to take the wife and kids out after work since it was so nice! Fished from 5-7:15pm and hooked 9 fish, 5 gaff released at the side of the boat and only one of those was under... the other 4 were between 8-15lbs. Tons of bait on the sounder. All fish were hoked on hoochies. No love on spooons today fishing 95 - 135’ down on the rigger. First picture is looking back towards the fingers, only see one other boat out there...

Taking the father in law and boys out tomorrow again to enjoy the weather.

I forgot to mention the orcas made a appearance tonight. They cruised through the fishing grounds heading south.

1766F80F-79A0-4BB4-B207-D9C5DB0C1F05.jpeg BF00AFA5-74D8-41EA-9440-94793575E923.jpeg 39B680C6-297D-41CD-8A47-1955CDF569EF.jpeg 0C56DEE1-F435-48F5-BB3F-E2F12257D16D.jpeg

Last edited:
Out tonight at 4:30 until 8:30. Trolled from the fingers out to the spoil grounds. Released a few undersized and also a keeper 10-12 ibs spring. 170 feet down on a no-bananas skinny g. Beauty night out there, just a few boats trolling around the fingers.

Was wondering is the ‘spoil grounds’? Hear lots of it but don’t know what area that is.
Thank you

Great report, nice to see so much bait!

On a sad note, my garden is looking great. Wife is totally happy with the newly planted beans - they are popping up everywhere. The garden is on fire!
Another positive note is my engines are still low time hours.

Looks of those pic's there are no boats out fishing - sad state of affairs. I guess everyone else's gardens are on fire too.

Sadly, there was hardly any competition at the HC Pirates sale so I was able to get a great deal on a demo model sounder - wife not so happy. Lots of elbow room to check out a lot a good deals. Get out and support your local tackle store...we want them around and in business!

Usually Coho are not open until June 1. Still awaiting the 2019 regulations decision to see what opportunities might exist. Last year there were tons of small coho in June from French Creek down to Thrasher.

I Went out today with a friend for a few hours and carefully gaff released a handful of fish ranging from 3-8 lbs or so. Most in between snake and the fingers on spoons.

Sad to see so few boats at the ramp on the long weekend. Only saw 1 other boat fishing.

We were out yesterday and wind was laying down nicely through the day. There was a lot of trailers at Brechin but don’t know where everyone scattered to? Dinghy dock for a pint?

We went on a casual cruise and did some jigging. No salmon in the cards for us.

Not my report but boat near us reported a catch and release of a couple 15lbers out off spoil grounds - report was skinny G and cop car at 120-150ft.

4AF38870-3E17-408D-9F9D-43EF5EC29CE4.jpeg No chinook out there guys, listen to the government and this is what you would believe. Never seen fishing this good in the middle of may, was out yesterday afternoon and non stop action for 4 hours off the fingers. Didnt have more than 10 minutes without a fish on. 20 fish to the boat, 4 double headers. Beauty day out there, only saw 3 other boats out when we went in about 5. Most fish were 5-10 pounds till we got into a school of bigger ones, released 6 that were all low to mid teens and seriously good fighters, lots of long line peeling runs. Also about a 1/4 of the springs were clipped. Got 3 coho as well all about 3-4 pounds.
If you love fishing then get out there because this is some of the best fishing ive seen at this time of year.

Beyond frustrating to have fishing this good and our joke of a government would make you believe theres no chinook left in the ocean.

Agree with Unreel. Sunday was awesome. Roughly 20 salmon. Non stop action in the mid day. Released 5 in the 15-17 lb range. Another 5 or 6 in the 7-10 lb range and shakers. One keeper ling on the troll for a bonus. Had my cousin and friend out from Van. They couldn’t believe the action. Depths ranged from 80-180. Fished from Winchelsea up to Balenas. So good to be back on the water after all those windy weekends.

Got out tonight from 530 - 9. Decided to try the spoil grounds out. Caught a nice 8 pound keeper down 160 feet on a bonchovy spoon. The wind was getting annoying, so we moved in closer to neck point. Released another 10-12 ibs. spring caught on a no-bananas skinny g at 80 feet. Released around 6 more undersized. Fish were really scrappy. Great night out there despite the choppy conditions.

Went out this morning 8-11 with my son for our first time actually out. Wonderful day out there. Beautiful weather.
Had our first fish on while setting up the second rod, decent size spring which gave us some great jumps, released to fight another day. Got both rods finally in the water and then bam another hit, but time my son lost the battle. A bit later noticed a tangle brewing on one reel. While I am trying my best to untangle, I feel the intoxicating feel of another hit on the line that is wrapped around my hand. So I am trying to untangle with one hand, while fighting the fish with the other hand. Just as I get it untangled the line goes slack....crap....she’s gone....my son yells at my to look at the other rod, that is bouncing away. After a nice fight, we release an sexy 8-10ish lb spring. Had 4 more smaller ones to the boat and lost another.
Most fish caught right next to the fingers down about 70-120ft. One rod just blue spoon no flasher (caught the two biggest). The other was cop car flasher and green skinny gee.
Amazing day, so blessed to be able to go fishing with my son even if we couldn’t keep any. Can’t beat it!

We spent two very early mornings around the Fingers this weekend. Very calm on Saturday, not so much on Sunday. Had a 12 lb Spring on in less than 10 minutes followed by several smaller ones and numerous double headers of smaller but scrappy Coho. We also managed to get into quite a few Pinks during the slower times. Chartreuse flashers with Coho killers of various types. Coho were hitting from surface down to 150 feet with many popping the pin on the way down as I was letting the cannonball down slowly. I decided to take the tag off a Peetz Tackle spoon I have had for a couple of seasons that is called Sylvester's Secret and promptly landed a very decent clipped Coho. Both the Pinks and the Coho seemed to be feeding on Copepods or some kind of plankton, they were stuffed with them and nothing else. We landed well over 15 Coho and only one was fin clipped? Is it possible that the fin clipping of Hatchery fish is not 100%?View attachment 45744

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back