Is she worth resurrecting? Hourston

Sea Chaser

Crew Member
A26F98F3-6F51-42E3-ACC2-C366376BA922.jpeg Old hourston appears to be 18 ft
FIL says I can have it . Needs repower and Interier work/canvas. Hull seems to be in good shape.
Is it worth it? Will need to find a trailer and get it barged off the island it sits on . . .

Take a small ball been hammer to the known trouble posts...transom and cockpit floor. Will give you an idea if there are major soft spots with rot and how much work you are getting yourself into. All fine if you are handy and can do the work yourself.

Take a small ball been hammer to the known trouble posts...transom and cockpit floor. Will give you an idea if there are major soft spots with rot and how much work you are getting yourself into. All fine if you are handy and can do the work yourself.
Handy and retired ;)

There are better projects out there for nothing or next to nothing. I’m the end, you’ll spend s lot more $ and a lot more time than fixing up something that’s clean.

If by chance there is not rotten.....they are a nice hull and has potential. BUT........ as said check it well.
Could be a money pit......and used only for water sking or freshwater fishing as our saltchuckin going in the tank thanks to past and present Mismanagement.

Good luck to you theres alot of good buys out there.

Yah definitely will clean it up a bit and get a better look before any major decisions are made . Until then I’ll keep looking at buying a working rig.

The hull likely isn't the issue. The engine likely is. Is that an inboard(or outboard)? How much will it cost to replace the engine? That's the decision maker IMHO...

Wait another year or two and probably gonna be a lot more boats for sale cheap :(

I have been watching boat sales and it looks like prices are starting to go down, I don't no if that is fishing related or the same market forces causing the housing market to go down a bit.

Anyone else notice boat prices going down??

View attachment 45472 Old hourston appears to be 18 ft
FIL says I can have it . Needs repower and Interier work/canvas. Hull seems to be in good shape.
Is it worth it? Will need to find a trailer and get it barged off the island it sits on . . .
Looks same as my old Hourston, mine was a 17 , was a great boat and i still am kickin my own butt daily for selling it. Them boats ride nice.

Back