Custom Sturgeon Sling?

Stoisy

Hi all,

Curious if anyone knows where (or who) the sturgeon slings are fabricated? I've reached out the Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society and not heard back yet. We are looking for a custom job, smaller (salmon sized), and one that would have the ends enclosed allowing water to be retained within it.

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers

Hi all,

Curious if anyone knows where (or who) the sturgeon slings are fabricated? I've reached out the Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society and not heard back yet. We are looking for a custom job, smaller (salmon sized), and one that would have the ends enclosed allowing water to be retained within it.

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers
What do you mean by sling? If you are talking about cradles they are made out of mesh so that water can flow through them.
And are you talking about ones that are fab'd onto the side of jet boats?

Thanks CD - the cradles I have seen are not mesh, but a vinyl coated polyester, thick tarp like material that would not allow water to pass through. I've not seen them fab'd onto the side of a jet boat, but simply put across the back deck using two dowels. They are used for tagging the smaller fish that are brought on board.

Any links or pics of the side mounted cradle? I've not seen that before and can't find anything via Google.

Thanks CD - the cradles I have seen are not mesh, but a vinyl coated polyester, thick tarp like material that would not allow water to pass through. I've not seen them fab'd onto the side of a jet boat, but simply put across the back deck using two dowels. They are used for tagging the smaller fish that are brought on board.

Any links or pics of the side mounted cradle? I've not seen that before and can't find anything via Google.

Oh I see ok I misunderstood what you were looking for. I use a large cradle fab'd on the side of my jet boat that has mesh and is adjustable up and down in and out of the water and for smaller fish I also have a mesh cradle net that can accommodate fish up to 4' or so but the smaller one I use for steelhead and salmon. The large one is exclusive for sturgeon. The mesh is the kind that doesn't absorb the fish's slime. Myself and my friend with an aluminum fab shop made my large cradle net and my other buddy that owns Mobynets made my smaller one. You can PM me if you want contact info for these guys. The large sturgeon cradle net is quite detailed and heavy duty and is a bit pricey after you factor in all the materials, labor and custom fitting etc.
Not sure where a good source for the solid type material would be that you are asking about but for netting material I buy stuff from Redden.

SturgeonCradle1.jpg

SturgeonCradle2.jpg

SturgeonCradle3.jpg

Wow, very cool setup! A little more skookum than we are looking for, but thanks for the info and the contacts, I'll reach out and see if they might be able to help.

Back