Does anyone have any good dog fish recipes?

I remember spearing a wobbygong shark in Australia, Was delicious! Made the best fish and chips I’ve ever eaten
I’ve never had dogfish but I’ve often wondered about them

There are a few videos on youtube on how to strip them out on the water. Bring a cooler full of ice with you, bleed them and strip out as soon as you catch them. Cut into fillet sections which is easy because no bones, and batter and fry like any other battered fish and chips. They are a lot better than a lot of people would like to admit. What they say about heavy metal build up in the larger ones is true though, so under 3ft is suggested for max length.

I heard of an old first nations recipe, which I will share here for your benefit.

First, clean and skin the dogfish.
Second, dig a shallow hole and build a fire in it. Let die down to hot coals.
Third, put dogfish in a burlap sack, on top of coals. Cover with seaweed. Wait an hour.
Finally, pull sack out, toss dogfish back in the ocean, and eat burlap sack. ;)

Nah, I actually fried one up once. It tasted like slightly mushy cod. It might be decent breaded with some cocktail or tartar sauce.

Good eating... fillet and skin that back portion along the tail. Let fillet stand in mix 50/50 white vinegar and water for coupla hrs. They pee through the skin (apparently) so the soaking gets rid of the (amonia?)... I really wonder about the bad rep. Perhaps if they had a different name like ....it's a "bacon fish". I wonder why catfish get a pass? I caught a really ugly fish once and my friend said it was a cabazon cod. Popular name was mother in law fish as it is put a bag over it... ugly. The filet on the smaller dog fish was firm. Maybe the under 5 to 6 lbr's are the eatable ones.... never tried a big one.

Good eating... fillet and skin that back portion along the tail. Let fillet stand in mix 50/50 white vinegar and water for coupla hrs. They pee through the skin (apparently) so the soaking gets rid of the (amonia?)... I really wonder about the bad rep. Perhaps if they had a different name like ....it's a "bacon fish". I wonder why catfish get a pass? I caught a really ugly fish once and my friend said it was a cabazon cod. Popular name was mother in law fish as it is put a bag over it... ugly. The filet on the smaller dog fish was firm. Maybe the under 5 to 6 lbr's are the eatable ones.... never tried a big one.

I think dog fish recieved there name and rep from their behavior.They hunt in packs and pack attacks slow moving bleeding fish that was C&R'd.Perhaps dogfish are one of the reasons salmon jump.

Will Hali eat them? I've often wondered - Will a dog fish carcas keep the other dogs away? Be nice to be able to fish a bait the dogs wont touch...

Will Hali eat them? I've often wondered - Will a dog fish carcas keep the other dogs away? Be nice to be able to fish a bait the dogs wont touch...
They eat each other.

Really good for beer battered fish and chips. Soak in milk overnight. I limit eating them to once or twice a year as they live a very long time and are high in mercury as a result. Just like any other long lived fish. But whenever I inadvertently catch them I clean em up and give them to my mother-in-law. She loves them and since she is already crazy the mercury has no effect on her.

I read somewhere they do not even reach sexual maturity until they are 30. And have a gestation period of 2 years - one of the longest in the animal kingdom.

Back