So are u going out and catch and releasing

Yes I will. Was going to cancel planned trips but gave my head a shake. Yes, I’m pissed off about the politicking rather than science-based decision making but I love to fish and C&R 100% when I fly fish so why not on the chuck?! Ocean salmon still actively feeding will be fine w/ properly sized single barbless and gaff releases w/o removing from the water. Gonna work on my plug game and run plugs and spoons fast, no flashers, and enjoy the fight if I’m lucky enough to get one or two.

Cheers!

Ukee

I fully agree, although I don’t live out there I would be out on the water if I did live there. Shoot 90% of the fishing I do at home is C&R as it is. Some of you have seen the boat I bought and have been working on, my home lake the lake I will be using that boat on is a beautiful lake for boating and has an abundance of Lake Trout in it. It’s not uncommon to boat 15-20 fish in a day but I never keep any, they are a disgusting eating fish as far as I’m concerned but hey, I like fishing them and trying different stuff and always looking for the big one for a quick pic and toss back in. It’s fishing boys not killing.

Get out there, get some fresh air in you, enjoy the outdoors, enjoy your boat and time with family. For those that hunt, do you kill an animal every time you go out the door, I don’t I still go, I still enjoy it, it’s as much about the hunt as it is the kill. Same as fishing, quit worrying about the kill and think about the pursuit, try different stuff, experiment, relax man.

When you think about it, by not going out on the water you are letting them win, they are keeping you off the water and that’s what the greens want, they want you off the water away from nature and to leave it alone. If you keep going out and stay in the game they lose and we win. Their closure is and will be proven to be pointless.

When you think about it, by not going out on the water you are letting them win, they are keeping you off the water and that’s what the greens want, they want you off the water away from nature and to leave it alone. If you keep going out and stay in the game they lose and we win. Their closure is and will be proven to be pointless.

Can't disagree with you that the closures are pointless, or better put political.
But if everyone continues to go fishing and spend money on boats, moorage, bait and tackle they really do win!!
Bottom line, is get use to it as little or nothing is going to change.

I fully agree, although I don’t live out there I would be out on the water if I did live there. Shoot 90% of the fishing I do at home is C&R as it is. Some of you have seen the boat I bought and have been working on, my home lake the lake I will be using that boat on is a beautiful lake for boating and has an abundance of Lake Trout in it. It’s not uncommon to boat 15-20 fish in a day but I never keep any, they are a disgusting eating fish as far as I’m concerned but hey, I like fishing them and trying different stuff and always looking for the big one for a quick pic and toss back in. It’s fishing boys not killing.

Get out there, get some fresh air in you, enjoy the outdoors, enjoy your boat and time with family. For those that hunt, do you kill an animal every time you go out the door, I don’t I still go, I still enjoy it, it’s as much about the hunt as it is the kill. Same as fishing, quit worrying about the kill and think about the pursuit, try different stuff, experiment, relax man.
I don't like accidentally killing fish just to try new things. I've been hunting dozens of times and only shot a deer once. It was the chance of killing one that made it exciting. I stopped hunting regularly because I don't eat a lot of red meat and when I do have some I like a big, juicy, farm fattened beef ribeye. I'll still go here and there but it's not the same. That's my two cents anyways. To each their own.

We live too far to justify any trips at this point. 300 per day costs minimum. Both truck. Boat n trailer Insurance.....repairs up keep.
Several trips back n forth to the gulf islands renting cabins eating at restraunts fuel etc etc. Its just not viable on retirement wages to not bring 1 slot limit sized hatchery fish home. Crazy.

The Liberals have Screwed the tourism in this area BIG!

I would rather wait. Hire guide friends some one else can throw out the thousands and thousands every year.

This is nothing but Bending over for FNs......
Their next big give away........ The Okanagan National park.
Of Which Natives will have a free for all of.
Absolutely getting sickening .

I haven’t yet (Nanaimo) - I’ve been thinking of doing it here and there for a few hours to keep the kids interested and remembering the fun of fishing, but with the restrictions, my enthusiasm is way less to to say the least!

I’m sick of this political BS closures but I’m going to take my kids out on the water and give them the opportunity to enjoy our beautiful coast and develop their connections to our fisheries. We try to catch some crabs for dinner and if they get to play a fish, that would be a bonus. We had a major health issue in our family lately and that has changed my perspective on many things. I’m just grateful that I can afford a boat and can enjoy some quality time with my family. July 15 is only 8 weeks away.

no catch and release for me. Way too expensive to go fishing and not able to bring home dinner. I fish because I love being on the water and my family loves fresh salmon - its too expensive to go fishing and have to go home empty handed. Perhaps I can buy some fresh gill netted salmon from the FN I see selling them on the side of the road?

We will still fish as we love bottom fish and crab. many fish other than salmon out there to be had. We do fish out of a 14 ft Lund with a 20Hp merc so fuel is not an issue. I get it if you have a big boat and high fuel cost. yup, we fish out of Victoria.

Last edited:
We will still fish as we love bottom fish and crab. many fish other than salmon out there to be had.
Not really in Area 29 , on the Vancouver side , unless I've missed out on a lot ....if your talking the island side of the creek ya but we got nothing here ...we've really been screwed

I am. I don't fish for meat, I fish because I live for it. I love being on the water and running the gear. The freedom of leaving life on land and ripping across the water to my fishing grounds is something I wont live without this year. Price of gas is negligible for me... I buy it to get me to work all week, why wouldn't I to fish on the weekend? It rolls into my annual gas expenditures anyway.

I was a fly fisherman and a Steelheader long before I got my salt boat and started fishing for chinook. C&R is a part everyday life for an experienced angler. Down size your hooks, and leave your barbs and trebles at home. You might even be surprized when you don't actually lose that many on single barbless ;) Release via gaff or a nice soft landing net, without removing from the water. Try an underwater shot from a gorpo or cheap knock off, they're actually more cool then a hero shot anyway! I mean, even when your allowed 1 fish, your still C&Ring during your day aren't you? Get good at it!

This is my last season living on the coast as I have to move to the interior next year with the Wifey for work and Ill be spending every spare minute where I love to be, you can bet on that.

Realistically you may as well learn to live with it now. Doesn't matter who wins in the Fall, this isn't the last we've seen of restrictions.

I don't like accidentally killing fish just to try new things. I've been hunting dozens of times and only shot a deer once. It was the chance of killing one that made it exciting. I stopped hunting regularly because I don't eat a lot of red meat and when I do have some I like a big, juicy, farm fattened beef ribeye. I'll still go here and there but it's not the same. That's my two cents anyways. To each their own.
You like your fried chicken that much, hey? :)

Exactly , but for me it's back to the freshwater fishing for Walleye (includes 9+ ) Rainbows over 20lbs , Jack over 10 lbs and Perch 5+ lbs . All within walking distance from my Bros cabin. No boat needed ! And what's especially comforting no fricken DFO and he knows all the fisheries officers as home boys ....But there's mosquitos and Snow and I'll take it ...So if u guys are ever in the neighborhood I'm the guy with the biggest smile cookin up a shore lunch , so c'mon by !

Leaving soon for annual 2 weeks North Island mainland side looking for that spring bear, this year for the one that deserves a life size mount. Will do some fishing while there but not salmon. I think DE will be on trailer after that at least until the pinks show up, then I am sure someone will drag me out. Until then kayak's and tinny will see way more time on water. There IS still a society in BC that deserves a huge shout out. Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC. Look what they accomplish and all for less than $40 per year. Trout and bass look out...

HM

Trout fishing has been good. I refuse to feed the seals.
a buddy of mine (Ben Nelson) who did the study on seal predation of juvenile salmon (which turned into the report which has identified seals as the #1 consumer of salmon in the SOG) said with their tracking system they found after a salmon was caught and released, it often went towards the bottom, moved very slowly, then often eaten by a seal. They did this with tracked salmon and on the heads of the seal they had the glued-on tag reader. Eventually the glue wears off and the tag reader floats and sends up a signal showing where the researchers could find it. Pretty neat.

He also spent months collecting seal **** and analyzing it for fish DNA. Fun times. If we want to have an immediate effect on salmon stocks, getting rid of a few seals would be a help!

Have only been out once since the closure , released a nice little chinook, boat build is coming along but with an eight week old at home my fishing has been limited , wife bought me a beautiful 6 weight flyrod , been to a Phil Rowley seminar and also a fly casting lesson so im pretty stoked with those new opportunities. Excited to get the new boat dialed in and I can spend time tinkering while we await the recreational chinook opening.

Not happy about the closure but took my boys (5 & 6 years old) out the other week and had an amazing time. There's no pressure to get a fish in the cooler so it was all about them and the experience. I still just love the anticipation of a hit and the thrill of the play, seeing the fish in all its glory and then watching it swim away to face its next battle.

Nice to be the only boat out, and being fairly new good chance to test my gear and presentations. Plus I still have a freezer full of pre-closure Chinook and venison

Back