Next round of closures SRKW related

does this paper pass your sniff test?
Nope but I think the number is somewhere between DFO, PSC and them.
Lack of peer review makes me question their results.

r u including jdf sport?
Yup I did ... so my mistake I was looking at JDF and SOG were most of the intercept is.
I was trying to compare the two results from that report and the DFO pdf.
SOG north is hard on those Harrison stocks so there is that. Something I have experience with.

SOG north is hard on those Harrison stocks so there is that. Something I have experience with.

When do you catch them up there?

index.php

I'm not certain what the data source quoted is, and further if it was peer reviewed. Generally from the AA DNA data files that I have seen the majority of encounters in SOG are comprised of Puget fish, and very low number of Mid-Upper Frasers. There is a larger component of Lower Frasers, which as everyone knows largely come from the Chilliwack Hatchery....and because the mark rate is only 10%, if we resolved the parental DNA it would likely demonstrate exactly that.

As for the FRIM research, again....not accepted and if you carefully read the report the methodology is full of assumptions that are simply not going to pass the sniff test. One example is look at the depredation rate...really? Some wild assumptions being made and not coming from people who have actual on the water experience in the fishery they claim to be experts in assessing.

Also of note, people might wish to research which organizations are the MCC....some rather surprising and not so surprising organizations backing the MCC

Present MCC Steering Committee:

I'm not certain what the data source quoted is, and further if it was peer reviewed. Generally from the AA DNA data files that I have seen the majority of encounters in SOG are comprised of Puget fish, and very low number of Mid-Upper Frasers. There is a larger component of Lower Frasers, which as everyone knows largely come from the Chilliwack Hatchery....and because the mark rate is only 10%, if we resolved the parental DNA it would likely demonstrate exactly that.

As for the FRIM research, again....not accepted and if you carefully read the report the methodology is full of assumptions that are simply not going to pass the sniff test. One example is look at the depredation rate...really? Some wild assumptions being made and not coming from people who have actual on the water experience in the fishery they claim to be experts in assessing.

Also of note, people might wish to research which organizations are the MCC....some rather surprising and not so surprising organizations backing the MCC

Do you know who to talk to about getting ahold of the AA DNA files and any related meta-data?

I wonder how you can catch steel head with people that firmly don't believe in catch and release. The most bizarre group ever formed in my opinion. Buy hey whatever makes you feel better.

Those numbers are from this discussion paper, page 7 table 2 for 2018, it's not peered reviewed.

2. Non-retention fisheries only means mortality of key Fraser River Chinook populations is reduced, not eliminated. And research indicates short-term mortality is high, especially in respect to what is reported by DFO, see: https://www.mccpacific.org/.../Fraser-Chinook-FRIM...

I'm still looking for some numbers from other sources but as you might imagine it's not easy. I would be interested in where the numbers came from that were advertised here as credible. The one that says we only are responsible for .63% from these same stocks. Clearly there is a huge difference even though we have 2 different types of numbers.

Can anyone explain how these numbers were calculated?

Yes pie chart was put together with AA DNA data from SoG as well as CWT data for Nicola SOC. Contact Jason at Bonchovy charters for details/info

Last edited:
Interesting article in the peninsula news review. Sidney. Apparently the Biggs orcas are spending more time on the south coast and the southern residents are spending less time here. Let’s hope they hang around and clean up on the seals etc . Now what are the environmentalists going to do!!!

That press release reads like an old Lord Denning judgment.
You know who is winning by the end of the first sentence.
What *****.

Salmon closure now instead of fin fish and get otter to sheringham back too no? Good news shockingly or? I don’t know area

Salmon closure now instead of fin fish and get otter to sheringham back too no? Good news shockingly or? I don’t know area
yep, very good news...shocking actually, because that essentially says to everyone that their designation of 'key feeding area' last year was a pile of crap (as we knew and said).

“Those whale-watching organizations making this commitment will be allowed to approach other types of killer whales to a distance of 200 metres,” he said.

Hmmmmmmmmm, I doubt it. Watched 2 whale harassing boats within 100 metres of 2 young bulls in Stuart Channel today.......

Interesting article in the peninsula news review. Sidney. Apparently the Biggs orcas are spending more time on the south coast and the southern residents are spending less time here. Let’s hope they hang around and clean up on the seals etc . Now what are the environmentalists going to do!!!
Hopefully they will see that the only way they will be able to save the seals is to hug them..............;)

No relief whatsoever for Gulf Islanders. DFO went full nuclear.

What pressure can we apply to have them implement the same measures for Gulf Islanders as everyone else? This can be fixed just as quickly as it was messed up if the Minister so desires.

Back