Esquimalt Chinook Net Pen

fogged in

I was told several years ago the DFO demanded that the very successful Esquimalt Chinook Net Pen program be discontinued. The pen was stocked with Nitinat Chinook for many years and provided consistent sport fishing opportunities and a regular feeding spot for the Southern Orcas who came thru two or three time during the August, early September season.
One explanation was this program was sacrificed in order to support the Sooke River hatchery.
Another explanation was DFO policy was these Net Pen fish are required to have a spawning river near by.
It makes no sense what so ever for this program to be stopped!!
It just doesn't get any better then fishing the Victoria Breakwater in the photo below!!
breakwater cruise ship fishing - Copy.jpg

Ok, just to get the facts straight, the original Esquimalt Harbour net pen project got canned for DND security reason after 9/11. After that, the Esquimalt Anglers were at least able to release juvenile Nitinat Chinooks straight into the ocean. This was stopped, as well as a proposal for a new waterfront Chinook net pen, when DFO moved the bio-zone boundary for Cowichan stock from Oak Bay to Race Rocks and with that disallowed Westcoast stocks to get released east of Race Rocks.

Now that the Cowichan Chinook stock is one of the very few thriving BC stocks, the Esquimalt Anglers should prepare a new proposal for a Vic waterfront net pen with Cowichan hatchery stock. That should meet all requirement and they have lots of eggs.

Ok, just to get the facts straight, the original Esquimalt Harbour net pen project got canned for DND security reason after 9/11. After that, the Esquimalt Anglers were at least able to release juvenile Nitinat Chinooks straight into the ocean. This was stopped, as well as a proposal for a new waterfront Chinook net pen, when DFO moved the bio-zone boundary for Cowichan stock from Oak Bay to Race Rocks and with that disallowed Westcoast stocks to get released east of Race Rocks.
Now that the Cowichan Chinook stock is one of the very few thriving BC stocks, the Esquimalt Anglers should prepare a new proposal for a Vic waterfront net pen with Cowichan hatchery stock. That should meet all requirement and they have lots of eggs.

Thanks for the clarification on why this net pen was shut down.
The important fact is a great fishery has been shut down by another new DFO policy and from what you say, it was shut down for one reason and one reason only! DFO decided the boundary should be moved from Race Rocks instead of Oak Bay.
What scientific evidence was that based on?
Bottom line is Victoria fishermen (not to mention the Orcas) get screwed again.
Let us know when Esquimalt gets their first Cowichan stock....lol
Fat chance in my opinion.
Better chance of getting smolts from the successful Little Qualicum Hatchery but my bet is that is forbidden by DFO as well.

You have every reason to vent. But it wasn't just Victoria that got screwed. Your area stayed open all last year while Pender was shut down. Look at Sooke it has a netpen. They have two of them. In the end it didn't have any factor in keeping fishery open. So unfortunately while a netpen would be great it really wouldn't have saved anything. It is unfortunate but that is way it is. I thought that it was goldstream that put breaks on for some reason.

You have every reason to vent. But it wasn't just Victoria that got screwed. Your area stayed open all last year while Pender was shut down. Look at Sooke it has a netpen. They have two of them. In the end it didn't have any factor in keeping fishery open. So unfortunately while a netpen would be great it really wouldn't have saved anything. It is unfortunate but that is way it is. I thought that it was goldstream that put breaks on for some reason.

yep...lots of reasons to be pissed off.
Where this Victoria guy likes to fish in August is Otter Pt., Muir Creek, and Sheringham and it was closed just like Pender!!!!
Prior to the removal of the net pen, often fished the Breakwater from early Aug. thru to early Sept. where you can count of better weather and decent, but not great on a regular basis fishing.
It's the Breakwater that really has me pissed off as it makes no sense whatsoever to shut down this net pen!!
Not that the Pender and Otter west closure made any sense either!!

Thanks for the clarification on why this net pen was shut down.
The important fact is a great fishery has been shut down by another new DFO policy and from what you say, it was shut down for one reason and one reason only! DFO decided the boundary should be moved from Race Rocks instead of Oak Bay.
What scientific evidence was that based on?
Bottom line is Victoria fishermen (not to mention the Orcas) get screwed again.
Let us know when Esquimalt gets their first Cowichan stock....lol
Fat chance in my opinion.
Better chance of getting smolts from the successful Little Qualicum Hatchery but my bet is that is forbidden by DFO as well.

While DFO makes lots of poor decisions, it seems not having west coast stocks being raised in an area where straying to the Cowichan would be a distinct possibility is just common sense, particularly when it was at a time the Cowichan numbers were depressed. The same with taking stock from the Qualicum, or Harrison or any other. It seems the only net pen stock that would minimize straying risks for Esquimalt net pens is Cowichan stock.

While DFO makes lots of poor decisions, it seems not having west coast stocks being raised in an area where straying to the Cowichan would be a distinct possibility is just common sense, particularly when it was at a time the Cowichan numbers were depressed.
I assume you are aware of the distance from Race Rocks , the new line, to the Breakwater?
And you are aware of the distance from the Breakwater to the Cowichan River?
Have you ever fished these areas?

"Net Pen fish are required to have a spawning river near by". Kind of how farmed atlantic escapee's can find river's to go up all on their own. Those salmon would find somewhere. There are several creeks around.

Back