Ok...it’s just a thought?...chinook regulations

richmake

Please leave feedback and anyone with positive input or thoughts is what we’re looking for...

So
Let’s just be realistic
I’m going out on a limb here but I’m guessing it’s a very minor few from each band that are actually netting the river correct?
Secondly, DFO must have a target number of FSC fish for each band correct?

So In my world...the bands don’t care about the actual chinook populations but more so of the actual number of chinook that want....any chinook.

If this was about conservation, we would have a program in place where the rec/commercial sector catches all the fish long before the river and simply gifts it to the bands
Some sort of federally funded program that simply puts any chinook into their needs till we hit the number
It could be spread out for months and keep us on the water with minimal retention plus keep all the businesses open

Think about it
If you were simply asked to go catch 10 Chinook to give to a band as your part then you could continue with retention...you would do it.

Listen, it’s not a perfect solution but it might be an honest option to keep the nets out of the river and actually save the stocks in question.

Just spit balling here

The commercial guys could start fishing way early and simply ask where the FSC fish need to be delivered
Total accountability and probably way better quality fish ......

Honestly the options are out there and this isn’t such a bad idea given the court cases and if the bands truely want to talk conservation, this is simply a better option.
Better managed and accountable

Personally
If they asked me
And the government had some funding for fuel and wages etc
I would send my guys out and myself
You want 100 Chinook
Well ok then I guess we go get you 100 Chinook then.

My guess is the commercial trollers would be all over this idea.

This is all about politics and reconciliation
Public perception....
Their has to be an alternative

Would you park your boat and take free fish instead of catching your own? A big part of fishing....is the fishing. I would rather the feds just ban all netting in the river and make them fish selectively and obviously legally. Also a reasonable and proven method of accounting we can all except as close.

Would you park your boat and take free fish instead of catching your own? A big part of fishing....is the fishing. I would rather the feds just ban all netting in the river and make them fish selectively and obviously legally. Also a reasonable and proven method of accounting we can all except as close.

Well the FN
Not netting the river is never gonna happen in my lifetime so I’m looking at an alternative to get the commercial and the rec sector back on the water in a retention fishery

Richmake, OK I don't want to be all negative on your post, since there are some fresh thoughts that should be given some consideration, but you are suggesting that the natives give up their rights of a "tradition" that is actually written into the Canadian Constitution. Not likely going to happen. What you MAY be able to do is prove that gill nets are not a selective fishing method and have it banned as a risk to the stocks of concern. IF this is possible ( and I doubt it due to the previous court decisions) then you may be able to ban the gill nets, set up fish wheels and have every one of them monitored 24/7 by security cameras to a remote location monitored by DFO to ensure that the catch is accurately recorded. terminal fisheries are the best way to ensure you are only capturing fish from that watershed, however unless you can accurately control the harvest by river or stream strain, you could be setting it up to do even more damage.

Richmake, OK I don't want to be all negative on your post, since there are some fresh thoughts that should be given some consideration, but you are suggesting that the natives give up their rights of a "tradition" that is actually written into the Canadian Constitution. Not likely going to happen. What you MAY be able to do is prove that gill nets are not a selective fishing method and have it banned as a risk to the stocks of concern. IF this is possible ( and I doubt it due to the previous court decisions) then you may be able to ban the gill nets, set up fish wheels and have every one of them monitored 24/7 by security cameras to a remote location monitored by DFO to ensure that the catch is accurately recorded. terminal fisheries are the best way to ensure you are only capturing fish from that watershed, however unless you can accurately control the harvest by river or stream strain, you could be setting it up to do even more damage.

Again it is an idea that DFO already uses for certain fisheries with the FN approval.

They wouldn’t be giving up any traditional fishery, just a reprieve to save the certain runs of chinook till stocks incline
It would be up to DFO to incorporate habitat renewal at the same time.

The FN will not relinquish their fishing rights. In the 2000's I worked for three years for Cowichan FN in their engineering and construction department (KMCLP). One of my jobs was to go on reservations and assess the condition on their infrastructure (water and sanitary). I would often see huge piles of rotting salmon on their reservations - dump truck loads. I asked why there was so many rotting salmon and was told every member of the band was given several salmon each year but the younger generation preferred fast food hence the wasted salmon. I then asked why they still got the salmon and let them rot if not everyone wanted them... the response I received was "it's our right".

The FN will not relinquish their fishing rights. In the 2000's I worked for three years for Cowichan FN in their engineering and construction department (KMCLP). One of my jobs was to go on reservations and assess the condition on their infrastructure (water and sanitary). I would often see huge piles of rotting salmon on their reservations - dump truck loads. I asked why there was so many rotting salmon and was told every member of the band was given several salmon each year but the younger generation preferred fast food hence the wasted salmon. I then asked why they still got the salmon and let them rot if not everyone wanted them... the response I received was "it's our right".
I've heard the same thing in Tofino as well as Masset

Until the ridiculous myth of native environmental stewardship is aggressively and completely debunked we will deal with these discriminatory policies. Stop voting for political parties that pander to natives for votes. Shut off the CBC and any other media outlet that perpetuates these enviro lies.

Until the ridiculous myth of native environmental stewardship is aggressively and completely debunked we will deal with these discriminatory policies. Stop voting for political parties that pander to natives for votes. Shut off the CBC and any other media outlet that perpetuates these enviro lies.

The CBC needs to put to rest. No longer necessary in this day and age.

Costing tax payers over $1 billion a year!!!!!!

Now if the FN offered to give each recreational fisherman 10 chinook salmon to stay off the water, would you accept that? I doubt it, no more than FN's letting someone else catch their fish. Just could never see this happening.

There is a difference between fishing for pleasure (FN and non FN)and harvesting for money.
Don’t bunch recreational fishing in the same boat as people who fish to sell their catch!

Last edited:
There is a difference between fishing for pleasure and harvesting for money or food.
Don’t bunch recreational fishing in the same boat as people who fish to sell their catch!
The reality is that there are many FN that ACTUALLY use their ceremonial, food allotment as intended. There are also those who in the FN community that DO sell for profit. Stricter enforcement of the later needs to be addressed by DFO and its enforcement branch. I take exception to the black market sales. That been said, that is not unique to the FN community. There are others outside of the FN community that sell their catch. It's a sad reality of the fisheries. I also didn't bunch rec fishers in with FN. I simply put the same scenario, only switched who catches to provide others. Get that straight. I have been following very closely the many posts that have been made on this forum. Other NGO groups put up the science, whether it's contestable or not, I can't actually say. But they are getting results while our sector is not. That is because they invest in research. They have a voice that others listen to. I wish we could get our message straight, with science based hard facts to rebut with. The end result, we need to quit blaming everyone else and start looking at the whole big picture and hold our "voice" groups to account.

not realy relivant .soc's are comming soon to albernie. and I would like to see somass soc's fresh frozen "first day" june in may to my sussie bar in ...? letts flood our friends with love.comming to a container near you.There ain't no flys on us.

Back