Annoucement of Protest Outside Fisheries Minister's office May 1 from 12 to 1 PM

Is this letter public?
If this is what we're up against what the **** is the point?
Who the hell is on our side?!
If our science is trusted does this mean that in 2020, after ample review time, will FRAFS acknowledge it?
Is it actually true that DFO doesn't acknowledge the FSC numbers in their assessments? Shouldn't they? Man have I been in the dark.

As Coastal Communities all up and down BC and especially on Vancouver Island get hammered in order to appease the lower Fraser First Nations or more correctly, a few bad actors, there is a growing realization that the Financial interests of a great many First Nations in the smaller coastal communities are also being damaged and in some cases severely. Many of their interests are directly connected to the Public Fishery and tourism. In my view they are increasingly becoming concerned about this and as the full impact of how this will harm there interests sinks in I think it will get more interesting for the Federal Liberals. In effect by completely capitulating to the Lower Fraser First Nations in an unbalanced and misguided failing attempt at reconciliation, the Federal Liberals not only turned their back not just on BC's coastal communities but also on the many coastal First Nations who are apart of those communities.

British Columbians will not stand-by Jonathan Wilkinson, as you use recreational Chinook anglers as scapegoat to appear to be taking action to save early Fraser Chinook is not the answer. It hurts the BC economy and will not result in more Chinook salmon returning to spawn. The Federal Government needs to get serious, about taking meaningful measures to improve Early Fraser River Chinook salmon numbers!

Here's a story on protest yesterday in the North Shore News, which is the newspaper in Jonathan Wilkinson's riding. Please share far and wide on Social Media:
https://www.nsnews.com/news/angered...e-chinook-rules-in-north-vancouver-1.23809422

As Coastal Communities all up and down BC and especially on Vancouver Island get hammered in order to appease the lower Fraser First Nations or more correctly, a few bad actors, there is a growing realization that the Financial interests of a great many First Nations in the smaller coastal communities are also being damaged and in some cases severely. Many of their interests are directly connected to the Public Fishery and tourism. In my view they are increasingly becoming concerned about this and as the full impact of how this will harm there interests sinks in I think it will get more interesting for the Federal Liberals. In effect by completely capitulating to the Lower Fraser First Nations in an unbalanced and misguided failing attempt at reconciliation, the Federal Liberals not only turned their back not just on BC's coastal communities but also on the many coastal First Nations who are apart of those communities.

This story needs to be told. I heard that area 21 just got opened up thanks to backlash by many, including a local First Nations Band. I have heard rumblings of other First Nations on the island sharing similar sentiment. We need to work together with these groups!

This story needs to be told. I heard that area 21 just got opened up thanks to backlash by many, including a local First Nations Band. I have heard rumblings of other First Nations on the island sharing similar sentiment. We need to work together with these groups!
How?

... In effect by completely capitulating to the Lower Fraser First Nations in an unbalanced and misguided failing attempt at reconciliation, the Federal Liberals not only turned their back not just on BC's coastal communities but also on the many coastal First Nations who are apart of those communities.
I couldn't agree with you more. I read the above just after stepping out of a meeting where we spent the last 10 minutes talking about the impact on two other industries/sectors caused by the Liberal government as a result of their lacking, from the top down, the ideology and courage required to reconcile in a manner that is fair and balanced for all parties. The fall election can't come soon enough.

The FRAFS letter to DFO needs to get to the right media.

And for reasons like your conversation I have been telling friends and family to vote for which ever candidate in their riding has the best chance of beating the Liberal candidate whether it be Conservative, NDP or Green. The Liberal agenda for the west needs to be quashed ASAP.

Yup - never thought it would happen in a million years but looks like this fall I will be strategically voting for Jagmeet.

Has this opening in 21 been posted anywhere?

Please post this to the Minister's FB page, or give me the go-ahead to do so myself.

Great wording, and nails one of their unintended consequences.

In a related matter, the new FN troll fishery off WCVI still has yet to determine if they are / will be effected. Either way that rolls, there will be some more interesting times just around the corner...

Nog

British Columbians will not stand-by Jonathan Wilkinson, as you use recreational Chinook anglers as scapegoat to appear to be taking action to save early Fraser Chinook is not the answer. It hurts the BC economy and will not result in more Chinook salmon returning to spawn. The Federal Government needs to get serious, about taking meaningful measures to improve Early Fraser River Chinook salmon numbers!

Here's a story on protest yesterday in the North Shore News, which is the newspaper in Jonathan Wilkinson's riding. Please share far and wide on Social Media:
https://www.nsnews.com/news/angered...e-chinook-rules-in-north-vancouver-1.23809422

The story in this link has been updated to include response from the Minister. And 1 ENGO has already commented.
Would be good if as many people from here that are well versed and well written can comment on the article today while it is still relevant.

Kudos to all involved for this protest. Now it is important to not let down. Keep spreading the truth. Challenge the Ministers "science and evidence" while providing our science and evidence.

We need individuals who have connections with these First Nations bands to speak with them? There has been some terrific collaborative work with First Nations in the recovery of the Cowichan River Chinook. This might be a good place to start? We need to work together and not finger point!
Russ Chips was well spoken at the Victoria meeting. He was unhappy with not being consulted and these closures will certainly effect business and realestate at Cheanuh. Someone to approach?

Nog - I don't do Facebook or any other social media other than this site. I see them as to much of a snake pit or perhaps I am to old to adapt. I don't consider it copyrighted so use it anyway you want nor do I need or want credit so putting it under your handle or name to post it is just fine with me.

I realized how much of an impact this was going to have on coastal First Nations after hearing about a local chief asking why they were not consulted at the recent Victoria SRKW - DFO meeting concerning the massive area closures. That got me thinking about all their business interests that will be damaged. Potentially very big money for them, millions of dollars. Besides their large marina and fuel dock, I understand they also are doing a large real estate long term lease development. Retire here, long term lease a very expensive residence, buy a boat, put it in their marina, fuel up at their dock and get supplies at their store and enjoy your retirement fishing. Why buy those residential leases now if you can't fish or a least why would you pay a premium for them. I did actually attend the recent Sooke SRKW meeting and heard how this was going to hit the First Nations in Port Renfrew. Sounds like their financial interests will be hit hard with possible job loss/unemployment. A lot of people from Renfrew were at the meeting and that community could end up close to a Ghost Town (depending on what Ottawa does) this summer, especially the first part of the season as the other tourist draw, the West Coast Hiking Trail will be closed for the first half of the season for major repairs. Jordan River is already dead as a result of last years total no fishing closure.

Last edited:
Has this opening in 21 been posted anywhere?
Rather than post the whole DFO Fisheries notice, I pulled this from it:
"For clarity, Chinook retention is permitted in Areas 11, 21 to 27, 111, Subarea
12-14, and those portions of Areas 123 to 127 shoreward of a line 1 nautical
mile seaward of the surfline."

Nog - I don't do Facebook or any other social media other than this site. I see them as to much of a snake pit or perhaps I am to old to adapt. I don't consider it copyrighted so use it anyway you want nor do I need or want credit so putting it under your handle or name to post it is just fine with me.

I realized how much of an impact this was going to have on coastal First Nations after hearing about a local chief asking why they were not consulted at the recent Victoria SRKW - DFO meeting concerning the massive area closures. That got me thinking about all their business interests that will be damaged. Potentially very big money for them, millions of dollars. Besides their large marina and fuel dock, I understand they also are doing a large real estate long term lease development. Retire here, long term lease a very expensive residence, buy a boat, put it in their marina, fuel up at their dock and get supplies at their store and enjoy your retirement fishing. Why buy those residential leases now if you can't fish or a least why would you pay a premium for them. I did actually attend the recent Sooke SRKW meeting and heard how this was going to hit the First Nations in Port Renfrew. Sounds like their financial interests will be hit hard with possible job loss/unemployment. A lot of people from Renfrew were at the meeting and that community could end up close to a Ghost Town (depending on what Ottawa does) this summer, especially the first part of the season as the other tourist draw, the West Coast Hiking Trail will be closed for the first half of the season for major repairs.

We need to get meetings to collaborate with these First Nations Bands on joint mutual interests!

While I would LOVE to believe that canning the Liberals would solve everything, Pat, I look back at DFO's record for the past 30 years and see no better management decisions made by them during that time. I know you have more knowledge of the political side of the coin, and perhaps you can comment. I guess the question that comes to my mind is; "Since after the first round of salmon enhancement in the late 70's, has DFO ever made actually improved salmon recovery, or have they just cut back and added more regulation on the public fishery?"

In my nearly 50 years on the water, I honestly can't recall anything good done by the far away bureaucrats since the late 70's, early 80's. And while I do not aspire to be a conspiracy theorist, it all seemed to change once fish farms began sprouting up around 1986.....

Cheers
You are exactly right.

What a lie....

""As Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, Canadians expect me to make my decisions based on science and evidence, and ensure these endangered wild chinook stocks survive," stated Wilkinson. "The restrictions were mindful of what we have heard from recreational and commercial fisheries stakeholders." "

Yup - never thought it would happen in a million years but looks like this fall I will be strategically voting for Jagmeet.
Why not vote for a party that has a very good chance of forming the next government so they could actually do something?

We need individuals who have connections with these First Nations bands to speak with them? There has been some terrific collaborative work with First Nations in the recovery of the Cowichan River Chinook. This might be a good place to start? We need to work together and not finger point!

That simply will not happen with the Fraser bunch. They have no use for you, period. In fact, they are among the most racially biased folks I have ever run into.
It will be a cold day in hell before the Ernie's of the world ever consider anything you, or I have to say even worthy of listening to.
Just the facts Jack...

Nog

Back