Annoucement of Protest Outside Fisheries Minister's office May 1 from 12 to 1 PM

Here's a few from slogans we looked at that you could yell!:

• Fraser Chinook Need Real Action. Not Politics!
  • Stop the Political Action on Chinook!
  • Rec Fishers Don't Catch Endangered Fraser Chinook!
  • Rebuild Fraser Chinook Stocks the Right Way!
  • Follow the Science. Not Politics!
  • Stop the Political Bargaining with Chinook!
  • Stop Your Political Pandering with Chinook!
  • Sustainable Recovery, Sustainable Opportunity!
Flm fishermans lives matter

Very very unlikely.......
The truly Accurate Numbers are never known given the Black Market

I would think if they can fly over the guys fishing hali's on the banks and make an estimate of the halibut quota taken by sportsfishermen they have a pretty good idea on the amount of fish going to the black market. I'm sure it would make you cringe knowing the true numbers. Or maybe I'm wrong as they've always tended to look the other way and ignore the problem where it is the largest and could make the most positive difference. They have no prob surveiling the public fisher persons though....

Can we get a pie graph showing what each user group including FN have been harvesting of the threatened Early Timing 5.2/4.2 Chinooks.Should show very clearly where the problem and the solution lies.
If that pie graph clearly states that it does not include "black market" chinooks that are taken in the lower Fraser,it would give a clear indication of how serious the problem is and who is the cause of it

Last edited:
More of this kind of support is what is needed from the opposition https://www.campbellrivermirror.com/news/vancouver-island-mps-fight-for-coastal-fishery/

I have been in contact with both MPs Gord Johns and Rachel Blaney and have pushed them to get more active in bringing this to the attention of the public. I will be speaking to Ms Blaney later to keep the pressure on . I will not be in North Van tomorrow, but hope the turn-out gets the media attention.

More of this kind of support is what is needed from the opposition https://www.campbellrivermirror.com/news/vancouver-island-mps-fight-for-coastal-fishery/

I have been in contact with both MPs Gord Johns and Rachel Blaney and have pushed them to get more active in bringing this to the attention of the public. I will be speaking to Ms Blaney later to keep the pressure on . I will not be in North Van tomorrow, but hope the turn-out gets the media attention.

All well and good, Bryan, but doesn't address the current closure. Here's what I posted on Johns' Facebook page under the video from Question Period:

"Except you and Rachael Blaney completely MISSED THE POINT!! The point is that the Minister closed the Chinook fishery in the SOG to protect the early Fraser runs in spite of the fact the DFO's own catch statistics show that the public fishery "take" of these fish is less that 1%. People in the communities that you represent who rely on the public fishery to support their families are suffering NOW as a result of this decision. By ranting about past Governments' failures on the fishery file, you gave the Minister the opportunity to tout his and John Horgan's announcement of funding for habitat restoration. I'm sure he appreciated your giving him the opportunity to crow once again about that announcement. You need to challenge him on the CURRENT CLOSURE and the disasterous impact it is having on your constituents while having an infinitesimal impact on the Fraser stocks."

Big Bruce absolutely nailed it. She emailed me back too. Her main and really only complaint was that they didn’t give us enough notice. She COMPLETELY missed the point and I emailed her back telling her that. She IN NO WAY said there shouldn’t of been the closures in the first place. Totally misleading Cuba

Back