2019 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great day on the water. Summer temperatures, calm winds and some fish around. Four to the boat, all clipped and gaff released unharmed. Usual needlefish patterns in the sand. Would have been nice to take one for a west coast Easter dinner but whatever. Got my shots of adrenaline for the week.

Anyone that weighed in on sat deserves a prize fishing in that wind! I heard a Grady almost sank on the bank. :eek:
Speaking of the derby, any results yet ?

We ran to our boarder bank spot saturday at 6am knowing it wasn't going to happen, but hoping for a little spot of calm out there that happens once in a while. Went out on deck to take a leak after a long run and look at the water and had to yell "giver her throttle POWER ON" Waves were definitely overhead but our C-dory handled it well, while under power at least!

Went to the boarder off discovery (outside of the lanes) got set up and had no nibbles but were getting splashed a little sitting bedside the transomwell and said to H with this. Ran to the inside (side not IN) the shipping lanes to set up with a long line of guys and had a hell of time setting the anchor (much to chiggrin of Coast Guard/Fisheries and a handful of boats). Finally got set up after one guy and a charter correctly anchored where we had drifted away from. I went to the otherside of the coast guard cutter, finally got the anchor set and started fishing again.

Had one bite that day, rookie who had struck out on hali twice on my boat did the honors assisted by my much more experienced fishing buddy. He gaffed the fish in without any trouble and we were like that is a big fish...measured and definitely under and thought...dam we are in the prizes!

Kept fishing and at weight in around 5pm Saturday and were over the moon at 117 cm 61.1 pounds. No bites at boarder Sunday but lots of bi-catch. Had the family on board and were treated with two amazing Orca sessions that thrilled the hell out of my 2 year old and everyone on the boat.

Many thanks to the Volunteers and Island Outfitters. We are over the moon at winning and ready to get back out there after us and the 2nd, 3rd fish were donated to the volunteers.

Fished hali last 2 days. 2 yesterday, under weigh in size?? Then 10 hrs on anchor today and no hali love, just ratfish. Man they must be moving around. Perfect 2 days, sorry kaelc we skipped Sat due to a little wind. Good job on your win, well deserved on a sat fish.

HM

Fished Constance through the tide change today,released 5 all about 5 lbs.,hardly worth the gas money .

Last edited:
Oakbay is just as far as Constance for me,I keep it in the inner harbour.The tides were probably better in Oakbay too.Next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back