20ft Hourston New Power

58 MPH!!! That's very fast in a deep-v like that. Power is good!:D - But does it chine-walk at all? I know some hulls 50+ can start to do that. Very dangerous if you don't back off!

If not that's a testament to how good those hulls are

it was a little intense I didnt give her a chance to walk for real and with the addition of the trim tabs , arch and kicker 5800 rpm = 54mph now way faster than a guy needs to go but fun none the less

Hey guys. I need some pics of the interior of a 20 sedan. Just talked to bill hourston and he has none from a late 7os boat untouched. Anybody have a semi original set up

My buddy has a 20.5 DE podded. 30 inch shaft 150 yammy 4 stk. Top end at 5800 commin into the bay at renny does 42 mph. 40 mph anywhere else. Cruises nice at 28-30 at 4400. Its pretty thirsty goin the J bouy which is 26 miles out i beleive.
Im puttin together my first 20 ft hourston. Will it come out with a 150 like the DE. i have a 20.5 DE in my yard aswell. Hourston is a way sexier boat tho.
Ive done total gut jobs on 2 18.2 that were gourgeous when done but have no experience on the big ones

Just redoing a 23ft

she rides like a dream 2 guys 280 lts fuel and all our gear cruise 25 knts @ 3700 rpm pulled the throttle back at 51 knts going to put trim tabs back on then I'll see what top speed is ! sure rides nice in a 3 foot chop much better than the 20' DE

Whats your fuel burn at 3700?

Wife of 50 YEARS says SELL! SELL! SELL!
that is a good deal provided it was kept on a trialer all those years...if it was in the water good chance it will need some resto work. (I know this from some recent "experience" with a 1988 20' Hourston)

Hey guys. I need some pics of the interior of a 20 sedan. Just talked to bill hourston and he has none from a late 7os boat untouched. Anybody have a semi original set up
I'm halfway done restoring a 1988. I have photos text me 778 928 7269 ill fire some over.

My buddy has a 20.5 DE podded. 30 inch shaft 150 yammy 4 stk. Top end at 5800 commin into the bay at renny does 42 mph. 40 mph anywhere else. Cruises nice at 28-30 at 4400. Its pretty thirsty goin the J bouy which is 26 miles out i beleive.
Im puttin together my first 20 ft hourston. Will it come out with a 150 like the DE. i have a 20.5 DE in my yard aswell. Hourston is a way sexier boat tho.
Ive done total gut jobs on 2 18.2 that were gourgeous when done but have no experience on the big ones
What did you end up re powering the 18.2's with? I'm just starting to put one that I gutted back together. Pulled the old inboard and will be going pod/outboard when done

https://imgur.com/gallery/twQqwT0
Here’s what I believe to be a familiar boat on here? Ripped the old furniture out as I need a fish hold more than a stove/sink/water combo. The fish hold is polyiso 1.5” insulation all glassed with plywood top and lid, drilled new through hull at water line so it will be a self bailing unit. Lid will get foam furniture and backrest for 56”L bench seat. Gunwale trays and support knees were just tabbed in with nothing on bottom side, sporting new 3/4” plywood wrapped in glass. Glassed 3/8” plywood under gunwales from stern to bulkhead, and wrapped existing exposed wood inside cab. Zero exposed wood from the cuddy bulkhead-aft now. Will fab up a simple storage box with back to back chairs on stbd side. Then some crushed walnut and fresh paint to spruce up the deck. Then I’ll attack the top deck filling the bazillion screw and old canvas snap holes as well as filling and fairing some gel coat damage and prep for paint.
Only fished it 2 days solo late aug/19’, fished well. Iirc couldn’t hit 50mph but maybe there’s more freshwater out Esperanza
Solid unit fer sure.
Cheers

https://imgur.com/gallery/twQqwT0
Here’s what I believe to be a familiar boat on here? Ripped the old furniture out as I need a fish hold more than a stove/sink/water combo. The fish hold is polyiso 1.5” insulation all glassed with plywood top and lid, drilled new through hull at water line so it will be a self bailing unit. Lid will get foam furniture and backrest for 56”L bench seat. Gunwale trays and support knees were just tabbed in with nothing on bottom side, sporting new 3/4” plywood wrapped in glass. Glassed 3/8” plywood under gunwales from stern to bulkhead, and wrapped existing exposed wood inside cab. Zero exposed wood from the cuddy bulkhead-aft now. Will fab up a simple storage box with back to back chairs on stbd side. Then some crushed walnut and fresh paint to spruce up the deck. Then I’ll attack the top deck filling the bazillion screw and old canvas snap holes as well as filling and fairing some gel coat damage and prep for paint.
Only fished it 2 days solo late aug/19’, fished well. Iirc couldn’t hit 50mph but maybe there’s more freshwater out Esperanza
Solid unit fer sure.
Cheers
Any progress?

Any progress?

little bit, I’m on a 3/1 week camp work schedule and I lost a fight with an exacto knife first day off this time home... But the fishhold is complete and installed. Pretty happy with it, won’t know how the drain is gonna work until I launch her but I’m optimistic. With a bummed finger I’ve just been sanding and filling/fairing top deck pretty boring.
https://imgur.com/gallery/z5UtPDZ

hopefully next time off is more productive HA

Last edited:
Back