Important Chinook Information - Feedback Required

I think the next question I would have asked him what is how much dollars are you committing to solving the problem if you're just closing the fishery and what actions are you going to take? There has been no plan put forward by Minister Wilkinson other than talking points. How is this stock is going to be recovered. We're off the water and where is the action plan?
I think i asked him most of the questions we as a a group have in mind but he found a way to either not to answer or came up with an excuse. At one point he compared our Chinook situation to the colaps of Cod in back east and how we'll end up with the same situation if we don't do something about it. That was the point I almost lost it as he was talking about something that he had no knowledge of so had to remind him of the differences. He also mentioned the closure of Chinook will most likely continue for another 5 years before DFO can re-evaluate the situation.

I think i asked him most of the questions we as a a group have in mind but he found a way to either not to answer or came up with an excuse. At one point he compared our Chinook situation to the colaps of Cod in back east and how we'll end up with the same situation if we don't do something about it. That was the point I almost lost it as he was talking about something that he had no knowledge of so had to remind him of the differences. He also mentioned the closure of Chinook will most likely continue for another 5 years before DFO can re-evaluate the situation.
And in 5 years Mr. Minister could be forking his big fat pension and enjoying the sunshine in southern states. These closures without other conservation measures will do nothing and he’s well aware of that.

Well.... the article is from the 2010 run. I’m pretty sure that they have become more advanced in their way of “ceremonial” market delivery since then. Wherever there’s monopolized access to a resource, corruption just sits next to it.

Well.... the article is from the 2010 run. I’m pretty sure that they have become more advanced in their way of “ceremonial” market delivery since then. Wherever there’s monopolized access to a resource, corruption just sits next to it.
Nope you are wrong , still goes on year after year, if you think this as change your are blind to the facts, these are organize thugs that are driven by $, there own people are scrared of them( for good reasons)they get silenced real quick, they get a few fish to keep them silent, the rest get sold for profit. These thugs dont care about the conservation they care about the $, one of the reason they ***** when the returns are low, they blame all other sector for there own demise. If the dfo wanted to stop this they could but it would be a blood bath that they dont want, look at what the mohawk did over a golf course in quebec, x 10 would be there responce from a shakedown. I know some might think its all race related from my part be its not, have lots of native friends hence why i know what is really going on. Btw a lot of those fish are being sold to non natives that want the same rasults MONEY and lots of it. The buyers are as guilty as the sellers and as long as there willing to buy there will be some for sale, untill there all gone forever.

Nope you are wrong , still goes on year after year, if you think this as change your are blind to the facts, these are organize thugs that are driven by $, there own people are scrared of them( for good reasons)they get silenced real quick, they get a few fish to keep them silent, the rest get sold for profit. These thugs dont care about the conservation they care about the $, one of the reason they ***** when the returns are low, they blame all other sector for there own demise. If the dfo wanted to stop this they could but it would be a blood bath that they dont want, look at what the mohawk did over a golf course in quebec, x 10 would be there responce from a shakedown. I know some might think its all race related from my part be its not, have lots of native friends hence why i know what is really going on. Btw a lot of those fish are being sold to non natives that want the same rasults MONEY and lots of it. The buyers are as guilty as the sellers and as long as there willing to buy there will be some for sale, untill there all gone forever.
I think you completely misunderstood my comment.

Been watching this thread for quite a while, and agree with most of the points made, while not having an opinion on the state of, and positions on this issue, vis-a-vis Canadian politicians. That is your pot of chili and I have no business adding my .02 to it. . I do however take a little exception to some of the bashing of U.S rec fishermen that travel up to fish in your great province. Especially when we are accused of catching "your fish", and should be restricted more, and should have to pay an even greater amount of money for our licenses than we currently do. Should we be able to have separate (higher) prices for our B.C friends who are visiting to buy the milk and gasoline that many of them buy en-masse?

I just returned from a short trip to Barkley Sound, where we limited out on feeder kings. 70% of our fish were hatchery clipped fish, which, if I am not mistaken, British Columbia currently does not do, hence they are clearly Washington State fish. It is also common knowledge that a large percentage of mature kings caught during the summer off-shore on the "Highway" are Columbia River fish that are passing by. I know many of us on both sides of the border are rightfully upset about the state of our fisheries, and the horrible job managing them being done by the politicians both Canadian and U.S., but attacking other rec. users, especially when talking about a resource that knows no borders, is counterproductive.

Been watching this thread for quite a while, and agree with most of the points made, while not having an opinion on the state of, and positions on this issue, vis-a-vis Canadian politicians. That is your pot of chili and I have no business adding my .02 to it. . I do however take a little exception to some of the bashing of U.S rec fishermen that travel up to fish in your great province. Especially when we are accused of catching "your fish", and should be restricted more, and should have to pay an even greater amount of money for our licenses than we currently do. Should we be able to have separate (higher) prices for our B.C friends who are visiting to buy the milk and gasoline that many of them buy en-masse?

I just returned from a short trip to Barkley Sound, where we limited out on feeder kings. 70% of our fish were hatchery clipped fish, which, if I am not mistaken, British Columbia currently does not do, hence they are clearly Washington State fish. It is also common knowledge that a large percentage of mature kings caught during the summer off-shore on the "Highway" are Columbia River fish that are passing by. I know many of us on both sides of the border are rightfully upset about the state of our fisheries, and the horrible job managing them being done by the politicians both Canadian and U.S., but attacking other rec. users, especially when talking about a resource that knows no borders, is counterproductive.
Enough already with this our fish your fish crap. If the fish are in Canadian waters foraging on Canadian forage fish how are they yours? Is it ok to pasture a beef herd in a neighbours pasture and expect him to thank you for the privilege? Are you willing to pay for us feeding “your fish”? Did your Federal Government not sign a salmon treaty with our Federal Government, regarding the sharing of the resource, seems like a lot of you think there’s our fish and my fish? Do you think Alaska should be barred from from Catching Canadian fish?

If you want to raise prices across the border for Canadian Customers, go for it! It will be good for our economy and hurt yours! While we may be neighbours and friends, I don’t expect to be treated to any privileges that come from American citizenship while in your country and you should not expect to be treated to any privileges that come from Canadian Citizenship in mine. If you don’t think it happens in the US, visit Hawaii and see the tourist, local price differences.

PS. The Columbia River starts in the Canadian Rockies so all the water is ours lol.

Enough already with this our fish your fish crap. If the fish are in Canadian waters foraging on Canadian forage fish how are they yours? Is it ok to pasture a beef herd in a neighbours pasture and expect him to thank you for the privilege? Are you willing to pay for us feeding “your fish”? Did your Federal Government not sign a salmon treaty with our Federal Government, regarding the sharing of the resource, seems like a lot of you think there’s our fish and my fish? Do you think Alaska should be barred from from Catching Canadian fish?

If you want to raise prices across the border for Canadian Customers, go for it! It will be good for our economy and hurt yours! While we may be neighbours and friends, I don’t expect to be treated to any privileges that come from American citizenship while in your country and you should not expect to be treated to any privileges that come from Canadian Citizenship in mine. If you don’t think it happens in the US, visit Hawaii and see the tourist, local price differences.

PS. The Columbia River starts in the Canadian Rockies so all the water is ours lol.

Ziggy,
Apparently you are having a bad day, and mis-interpreted my post.... I am not asking for the same privileges as a Canadian or B.C residents gets, but I am against absolute gouging also. I am afraid that your reference to Hawaii is lost on me. Are you saying that if you or me as a tourist walks into a Mickey D's and order a Big Mac, there are two different prices, one for residents and one for tourists???

Ziggy,
Apparently you are having a bad day, and mis-interpreted my post.... I am not asking for the same privileges as a Canadian or B.C residents gets, but I am against absolute gouging also. I am afraid that your reference to Hawaii is lost on me. Are you saying that if you or me as a tourist walks into a Mickey D's and order a Big Mac, there are two different prices, one for residents and one for tourists???
I’m telling you that if I was to go onto a golf course it’s up to 2/3 s less for residents, hotel ,20% less for residents, or make a purchase in a store, various discounts. In essence you pay significantly less if I you can produce a Hawaiian drivers license. Not sure how Macdonalds works, because I don’t eat there, but yes I am telling you there is a tourist and resident price and it’s not really hidden. Frankly I accept this as I know going in as a tourist that there has always been two rates and rather look at it as being gouged, I look at it as the locals get a well deserved break from tourist prices. For what it’s worth though, you as a mainlander get gouged just as much.

I’m telling you that if I was to go onto a golf course it’s up to 2/3 s less for residents, hotel ,20% less for residents, or make a purchase in a store, various discounts. In essence you pay significantly less if I you can produce a Hawaiian drivers license. Not sure how Macdonalds works, because I don’t eat there, but yes I am telling you there is a tourist and resident price and it’s not really hidden. Frankly I accept this as I know going in as a tourist that there has always been two rates and rather look at it as being gouged, I look at it as the locals get a well deserved break from tourist prices. For what it’s worth though, you as a mainlander get gouged just as much.
you do realize that a lot of our guides,lodge,motels,resorts,marinas, cater to American????? brings in a lot of $ to our local coastal community,having a pissing match over your fish my fish is kind of nonsence at this point.By the looks of it at this point we all be buying fish from FN soon,in the mean time lets enjoy the water and what we all love to do FISHING

you do realize that a lot of our guides,lodge,motels,resorts,marinas, cater to American????? brings in a lot of $ to our local coastal community,having a pissing match over your fish my fish is kind of nonsence at this point.By the looks of it at this point we all be buying fish from FN soon,in the mean time lets enjoy the water and what we all love to do FISHING
Yes

You guys need to get off this back and forth over nationalities.

This exactly the divisiveness that all governments and burocracies use to distract us from the real issues.

We are all feeling pissed off about what’s going on but we are all in this together and should be working together.

Well if it true that we are taking a large amount then you guys should be getting record returns this year. With the added fish you will be seeing are you getting an extended season this year???

You guys need to get off this back and forth over nationalities.

This exactly the divisiveness that all governments and burocracies use to distract us from the real issues.

We are all feeling pissed off about what’s going on but we are all in this together and should be working together.
well said

Ziggy,
I have no idea where you are coming from.....the " Pasture " argument has been used by Alaska for 30 years to justify their very high harvest of all chinook,. ours, theirs, Southern US....they don't care. if they are present in Alaska waters they believe they own them. The Salmon Commission has tried to establish that Chinook have a life history, and travel, they have tails....there needs to be calm and reasonable allocation along the route they travel, which the AABM fishery under Commission negotiated and manages for all of us, and they do fairly good job, I believe.

The US visitors to our campsites and lodges are , or should be, I believe, a welcome addition to our fishery, and they make great companions around a campfire in my experience. The old saying that when the water level drops, the animals around the watering hole look at eachother differently seems to be at work here...we are all hurt, upset, and not sure how to attack this, but attacking those from " away " does not help,. in my opinion.

Back