Important Chinook Information - Feedback Required

J.Wilkinson's daughter is a friend of my daughter but I always avoid talking to him until last week when I met him in an event. I could not stop myself and had to give him peace of mind on his decision and the closure Chinook. One thing he kept emphasizing at the end was for him to follow the constitution keeping FN happy and yet close or minimize Chinook fishing for FN he had no choice but closing it for recreational and commercials. Him being just another politician and I'm someone who can't stand ******** had to end our conversation shortly before I lose it.

Unfortunately with the latest court cases it is true that to stop the FN netting on the Fraser which is the main problem for these Fraser stocks, everyone else has to stop fishing them too. It sucks but it is the reality. The problem is enforcement , DFO will not take the necessary actions to stop the netting during the closures. that's what he needs to be challenged on. If we are not Fishing, what concrete actions will be taken to ensure the fish get through!

I understand First Nations has their constutional right to Food and Ceremonial openings.

Has any group/person attempted a court case on the use of gill nets on the Fraser River rather than traditional methods like fish weirs which can be selective harvesting of the correct species of salmon?
ie during a sockeye opening, releasing chum or coho etc.

This would maintain their constutional right to fish but restrict their method of fishing during times like this where endangered fish stocks are entering the Fraser river.

Instant death in these gill nets.

Secondly, my question is there any upper limit to how many Chinook First Nations can catch during their Food and Ceremonial opening?

Can DFO enforce a " number" of fish kept based on their membership of their Nation?

Is there a requirement on First Nations fisheries to produce and verify numbers of salmon caught?

Can DFO introduce such a regulation?

Just my thoughts for the day....

I understand First Nations has their constutional right to Food and Ceremonial openings.

Has any group/person attempted a court case on the use of gill nets on the Fraser River rather than traditional methods like fish weirs which can be selective harvesting of the correct species of salmon?
ie during a sockeye opening, releasing chum or coho etc.

This would maintain their constutional right to fish but restrict their method of fishing during times like this where endangered fish stocks are entering the Fraser river.

Instant death in these gill nets.

Secondly, my question is there any upper limit to how many Chinook First Nations can catch during their Food and Ceremonial opening?

Can DFO enforce a " number" of fish kept based on their membership of their Nation?

Is there a requirement on First Nations fisheries to produce and verify numbers of salmon caught?

Can DFO introduce such a regulation?

Just my thoughts for the day....

I have never done a literature review on the issue of First Nations using modern technology such as plastic gill nets. But I do recall someone on the forum claiming some years back, along the lines that the courts had ruled on this and concluded that local First Nations would have advanced as other civilizations have.

Last edited:
"You need someone who loves Canada above all else."
CIVANO, you are an American are you not??
from one of your recent posts..." I crab on the Hood Canal near my house."
Sounds like you want us to have someone like Donald Trump?
Heaven forbid!!!!
Spare us from anyone with Donald's ignorance, hostility, lying and cheating!!
He is an embracement and disgrace to all the good Americans, many of which are my friends!
I am an American and I think you Canadians should decide how many immigrants you bring in and decide what qualifications they should have not the United Nations. I think you should decide what is best for Canada not what is best for a Globalist agenda. I think you should only sign treaties and accords that are good for Canada and most importantly do not take your wealth and distribute it to 3rd world countries. I think all world commitments should only be made if they benefit Canada and are not just done because they are a feel good public stunt. This is not about President Trump. This is sincerely hoping you do not go down the same road as the UK and most of Europe.

I am an American and I think you Canadians should decide how many immigrants you bring in and decide what qualifications they should have not the United Nations. I think you should decide what is best for Canada not what is best for a Globalist agenda. I think you should only sign treaties and accords that are good for Canada and most importantly do not take your wealth and distribute it to 3rd world countries. I think all world commitments should only be made if they benefit Canada and are not just done because they are a feel good public stunt. This is not about President Trump. This is sincerely hoping you do not go down the same road as the UK and most of Europe.

Yes...it was you who started this insane OFF TOPIC debate with your post.
Now you say your intent is as follows "I think you Canadians should decide how many immigrants you bring in"
and you did say we need a Prime Minister who loves his country.
This led to my post about TRUMP.
His opinion on immigrants has been made very clear and he has repeated it many times!
"I love this country", says Donald Trump”
Please keep your future posts on subject and stay out of Canadian politics and I promise not to trash your President.

J.Wilkinson's daughter is a friend of my daughter but I always avoid talking to him until last week when I met him in an event. I could not stop myself and had to give him peace of mind on his decision and the closure Chinook. One thing he kept emphasizing at the end was for him to follow the constitution keeping FN happy and yet close or minimize Chinook fishing for FN he had no choice but closing it for recreational and commercials. Him being just another politician and I'm someone who can't stand ******** had to end our conversation shortly before I lose it.
I think the next question I would have asked him what is how much dollars are you committing to solving the problem if you're just closing the fishery and what actions are you going to take? There has been no plan put forward by Minister Wilkinson other than talking points. How is this stock is going to be recovered. We're off the water and where is the action plan?

I think the next question I would have asked him what is how much dollars are you committing to solving the problem if you're just closing the fishery and what actions are you going to take? There has been no plan put forward by Minister Wilkinson other than talking points. How is this stock is going to be recovered. We're off the water and where is the action plan?

I would of just informed him about the voting base he is going to cause the liberals to lose. Its forcing a lot of people that support Liberals to think about voting Conservative. While the Liberals policies on habitat are better than the last conservative government their policies on restricting access has caused a lot of harm.

Many of you on this Forum have been calling for a Protest. I am working with a group of concerned individuals who would like to see the public and media made aware of the impacts and issues of this decision. There will be more information to follow shortly on this Protest, but I wanted to let you know the planned date and time, so everyone will have time to plan to attend. It will be May 1st between 12 and 1 PM outside Fisheries Minister Wilkinson's office located at 102 W 3 Street, North Vancouver.

Thanks for stepping up. C ya there.

I wonder, I bet Wilkinson wont be in he will be out fishin C and R...... Or......gathering Cerimonial food fish while not affecting troubled runs with friends

Back