The Official No Fishing Vent Thread

i can help with $. I have contributed to the Orca initiative but can do more elsewhere if it helps. As I live near Seattle, showing up will be a chore. Obviously can't vote in Canada! :)

So far there are four of us who said we would commit to a protest?
There are lots of people on here who are complaining that something must be done. I guess they mean just as long as it doesn't involve them.
Come on people, step up!

I applaud the passion but a protest is not going to change anything. Look at the halibut quota protest in Victoria.....there was media there to cover but zippo as far as impact.

More impact will be done by watching the netting in the river, take photos/video of what is happening and send it to the media. The media is a joke but somewhere there has to be the right reporter who will take on the story. Mind you.....in saying that there has been media coverage of massive fish dumps along the Fraser and as soon as the news broadcast is over....as is the concern about the story.

I applaud the passion but a protest is not going to change anything. Look at the halibut quota protest in Victoria.....there was media there to cover but zippo as far as impact.

I also applaud all the efforts put forth by so many.
I will say though that DFO have an agenda and while meetings
might make people feel better, DFO will do what they want as we have already witnessed.
The only way to fight federal ruling is in Supreme court.

I also applaud all the efforts put forth by so many.
I will say though that DFO have an agenda and while meetings
might make people feel better, DFO will do what they want as we have already witnessed.
The only way to fight federal ruling is in Supreme court.
I hear there is a group being put together right now that can make those court challenges.
The court of public opinion is also very powerful. If we can get the public on side we will have a much stronger position when we sit at the negotiation table. Right now DFO knows they can do whatever they want, because we are too disorganized to be forceful.

i can help with $. I have contributed to the Orca initiative but can do more elsewhere if it helps. As I live near Seattle, showing up will be a chore. Obviously can't vote in Canada! :)
I dont know if money will be needed at this time, but I will put you on the list for a donation if needed.

That's five now
Local tackle shops and marinas can help with coordinating such effort. IMHO, SFI should also be consulted on what messages should be sent out and the timing of such protest/outreach. Sounds like a few parallel activities are going on at the same time. Hoping that SFI (or any other industry association) can orchestrate these activities. Like Fish Brain said in his previous post, we are very disorganized and can benefit from some planning efforts.

Happy to attend whenever. Opportunity to discuss at the Langley Fundraiser. DFO needs to know that this crap is NOT over.

I'm away till May 10th, but, would attend an event in Vancouver after that date, and maybe Victoria. Happy to make a financial contribution once a site is set up as well. Protests may not change what we have right now, but, it'll send a message that rec fishers are capable of harnessing energy for the cause and will stir up **** next time. People pay more attention to protesters than they should. How many times have the CBC showed up for a pipeline protest of 3 people and splashed it all over the 6 pm news. All the fracking time...

Check out thread lower down in this forum Feb. 28. Might be sold out.
Tickets are sold out but I think eveyone should just come because it's a great opportunity to meet and discuss the issues. Jason from PA said he was going when I talked to him a few weeks ago. Sounds like he has some things in the works.

Is that right @fishin solo ?

Tickets are sold out but I think eveyone should just come because it's a great opportunity to meet and discuss the issues. Jason from PA said he was going when I talked to him a few weeks ago. Sounds like he has some things in the works.

Is that right @fishin solo ?
Yes. I think there is 3-4 tickets left not 100% but email my wife she will know , as I’m at sea right now.

marleyandkids@hotmail.com. Even if tickets are sold out EVERYONE is welcome to attend and partake in this event. There will also be a few people to bounce ideas off so it’s a good chance to talk about whats going on about future/actions/events with our fishery. Look forward to seeing and meeting a lot of new faces

Last edited:
Yes. I think there is 3-4 tickets left not 100% but email my wife she will know , as I’m at sea right now...marleyandkids@hotmail.com. Even if tickets are sold out EVERYONE is welcome to attend and partake in this event. There will also be a few people from the industry who sit on boards like SFI SFAB so it’s a good chance to talk about whats going on about future/actions/events with our fishery. Look forward to seeing and meeting a lot of new faces
Will there be an MC or a platform for some of the more eloquent members to give an inspirational speech? At what point does a leader emerge?

I hear there is a group being put together right now that can make those court challenges.

There must be some lawyer's who are avid fishermen/women.
I wonder if they could review the fisheries act and find out if there's
anything unconstitutional about this closure.
I'm guessing conservation would win out for the Fraser Chinook( as it should)
but what about the clipped hatchery fish we are also prohibited from taking ?
If it could be fought in Supreme court I'll bet people who are affected would
step up and help financially.

I'm away till May 10th, but, would attend an event in Vancouver after that date, and maybe Victoria. Happy to make a financial contribution once a site is set up as well. Protests may not change what we have right now, but, it'll send a message that rec fishers are capable of harnessing energy for the cause and will stir up **** next time. People pay more attention to protesters than they should. How many times have the CBC showed up for a pipeline protest of 3 people and splashed it all over the 6 pm news. All the fracking time...
\

If you are talking about the Pacific Salmon Foundation Dinner in Vancouver May 10th there at still tickets available. Super fun night and fishing the next day is always very productive to those that come. https://www.psf.ca/event/2019-vancouver-gala-dinner-auction

If you like habitat restoration and funding salmon science this is your bag.

el P

There must be some lawyer's who are avid fishermen/women.
I wonder if they could review the fisheries act and find out if there's
anything unconstitutional about this closure.
I'm guessing conservation would win out for the Fraser Chinook( as it should)
but what about the clipped hatchery fish we are also prohibited from taking ?
If it could be fought in Supreme court I'll bet people who are affected would
step up and help financially.

Almost all of the hatchery clipped fish are of American origin. We mark (and tag) a very small proportion of fish. The marking strategies have been agreed within the salmon commission. I would have to think Canada instituting a policy that basically targets American origin fish would be an issue within the agreements. Nothing can be done about that obviously for another 4 years as marking could only begin in Canada starting with nexts years smolt releases.

\

If you are talking about the Pacific Salmon Foundation Dinner in Vancouver May 10th there at still tickets available. Super fun night and fishing the next day is always very productive to those that come. https://www.psf.ca/event/2019-vancouver-gala-dinner-auction

If you like habitat restoration and funding salmon science this is your bag.

el P
https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...er-“fishing-for-the-future”-langley-bc.73936/

Back