The Official No Fishing Vent Thread

Well the whole coast isn’t really closed, so I wonder will the argument be made that Fraser River Springs are being caught in the open areas and therefore nets are OK?

Of course they will make that argument they make it every year, DFO managers will just need to grow a spine and keep them off the water.

If this were Quebec or Atlantic Canada you can bet the fishery would stay open regardless of the cost.

Are you forgetting the 1992 COMPLETE closure of the cod fishery in Newfoundland. And after all of these years, many years where they couldn't fish at all, they are only back up to a total of 39 days (2018) for the summer and fall rec fishery. And if you know anything about the East Coast weather, the number of day that you will actually fish will be much less than the 39 allowable days. That don't make our closure out here any easier to take but just wanted to point out the error of your comment and that others have suffered as much or more than we will. Again,,,,,it doesn't make it easier to deal with what we will go through here.

Any idea when this photo was taken?

2017 according to the link below. It states that DS is a repeat client at the lodge with Delta Developments......... who is a large scale land developer of ultra high end properties. They do some extremely nice projects for the ultra rich. Take a cruise through the Residences at Hotel Georgia which they built to check out all of the Bentleys/Rolls Royces/Ferrari's. Condos sold in that building for tens of $M. You ever eat at Hawksworth which is part of the complex? Plan on spending $300-500 for two with a decent bottle of wine for what was voted the best restaurant in Canada a couple of years back. Delta seems to be a very good company producing great high end projects for the wealthy.........and good for them. What I find interesting is how DS rolls with people/companies that seem to have a diametrically opposed set of values to what he preaches. Ya, I'd say he's a hypocrite. If he's challenged about his personal life, he has a habit of telling people to **** off I have read.

http://westcoastfishingclub.com/the-hub/news/2017-season-summary/

Last edited:
Are you forgetting the 1992 COMPLETE closure of the cod fishery in Newfoundland.

No, not at all. That fishery was kept open for years Despite the science telling them it was collapsing. The science in this case is that most stocks are not collapsing, that the Rec sector impact on the stocks of concern is low, and could have been made almost 0 with a marked restriction in the Salish sea. An agreement with the natives could allow the sport sector to still operate, and the point was whatever the cost of an agreement with the natives would be paid if it kept fisheries open were it Quebec or Atlantic Canada. West Coast fisherman just arent an important or influential enough group for the liberals to cater to.

No, not at all. That fishery was kept open for years Despite the science telling them it was collapsing. The science in this case is that most stocks are not collapsing, that the Rec sector impact on the stocks of concern is low, and could have been made almost 0 with a marked restriction in the Salish sea. An agreement with the natives could allow the sport sector to still operate, and the point was whatever the cost of an agreement with the natives would be paid if it kept fisheries open were it Quebec or Atlantic Canada. West Coast fisherman just arent an important or influential enough group for the liberals to cater to.
It’s time to change that..... anyone wanna help?

https://www.gulfislandsalliance.ca/author/pinksheep/

That is interesting. Look at this group and its board of directors. Last year pretty much entire areas around Pender were completely shut.
If she was a recognized politician ( which she essentially is) she’d be viewed in Conflict of Interest or at least be called out for falsely using conservation as a tool of her nimbyism .Because she is simply preaching her beliefs to her faithful disciples, she gets a free pass. ENGO’s at least some of them are becoming more like fundamental religious leaders, why bother with facts when your followers have faith. Spin it anyway you can, the end will justify the means!

There gill netting right now in the Fraser. I can see 3 boats by derby reach right now. This is a complete ******* joke. Conservation ? Hmm what does that word even mean today ? Economic benefit you say .... hmm they already have a **** ton of those not much more you can offer them. Maybe a right arm or leg other then that it really doesn’t matter because we are all about reconciliation!!!! What a joke....it will never end as long as the govt keeps caving. How much longer do we have to keep paying for our grandparents mistakes sheesh.

Sorry guys just venting
Really lol, i told all you guys 3 weeks ago, i choose to take my dog somewhere esle just so i dont see this bs, some on here are blaming some fairly unralated **** on what is going on but if you open your eyes wide the problem is in plain view

Really lol, i told all you guys 3 weeks ago, i choose to take my dog somewhere esle just so i dont see this bs, some on here are blaming some fairly unralated **** on what is going on but if you open your eyes wide the problem is in plain view
Maybe a Facebook and or a Twitter link with pictures might help educate the general population. As a group we need to take advantage of this means of getting out our message. I personally don’t go on Facebook, but a lot of others do!

I would like to know how many fishing licences were sold to the fisherman effected by the closure between April 1st. up till the time of the
closure release. Including retention stamps for all the fisherman effected by the closure I would think this was a fair amount of money that
the Goverment took in. And I'm sure they knew that there would be a closure. Time to send in a Freedom of Information Request

Maybe a Facebook and or a Twitter link with pictures might help educate the general population. As a group we need to take advantage of this means of getting out our message. I personally don’t go on Facebook, but a lot of others do!

I agree with this, to the point I have also suggested the same.

It has been said a few times that “if we where to see fn under 100% non retention of Chinook we would first be
Required to be 100% shut down from all salmon fishing. As is the law”

I struggle with this, as I recall a number of years ago, having a closure to chum mid season as the fish where MIA. We where told necessary in order to get the fn off the river as well.
At that time we could still fish and retain the other species.

How is this different wen in this case any Chinook netted in the river at this time of year are highly likely to be those of concern?

Anyway ,makes me think “be careful what we wish for”.
That said I still think those walking the river should record what they see and post it for the public to see what takes place while all other users are closed “in the name of conservation “

Maybe some others have it right turn it over to an investigative reporter as well.

Again this would be easier to take if all where on board and it was followed with immediate meaningful action to turn things around.
Where Is The Plan!!!!!!!!!

We need a coordinated protest group. @fishin solo and I are prepared to help set it up, but we need to now there are people that will join and follow through. We have been lobbing trial balloons but so far no one has taken us up on our suggestions.
So........ Who is interested? @IronNoggin are you and the commercial guys interested? Guides who would still like to make a living fishing? The rest of us rec fishers who would like to see openings in the future.
Come on folks step up

We need a coordinated protest group. @fishin solo and I are prepared to help set it up, but we need to now there are people that will join and follow through. We have been lobbing trial balloons but so far no one has taken us up on our suggestions.
So........ Who is interested? @IronNoggin are you and the commercial guys interested? Guides who would still like to make a living fishing? The rest of us rec fishers who would like to see openings in the future.
Come on folks step up
I would make time to be at a protest.

I’d attend too if it’s on a weekend. I also wouldn’t mind donating to a protest fund to implement ideas for public outreach and potential media coverage.

Come on folks step up
So far there are four of us who said we would commit to a protest?
There are lots of people on here who are complaining that something must be done. I guess they mean just as long as it doesn't involve them.
Come on people, step up!

Back