Protest the ENGO's request to close salmon fishing

Will you come?

• Total voters
Heckling doesn't do much to help our cause. I watched the entire video that was posted. What is the remarkable difference is the message they put out. We as sports fisherman all knew prior to this the impact these types of closures would have on coastal communities. These closures were inevitable, and when they present a well structured, multiple impact argument to the decline of early run Fraser stocks and how that all ties into the state of the SRKWs, and we come back with literally nothing....then who s going to win? We need to structure ourselves better, invest in scientific studies and have the right people vocalizing our concerns if we want to get ahead. The one argument they made, which I do agree with, is our reliance on hatcheries to bring back the stocks. Hatcheries have their place, no doubting that, but stream and river enhancement projects, protections of those habitats and allowing more wild stock to carry on the gene pool are much more important. If we are going to protect our ability to fish and retain, then I don't think constantly fighting out in the open is doing us any favours.
not so much heckling, but more like rebuttals if the comments felt misguided. Most comments were more along the lines of that is incorrect, or I don't agree, or look, studies are saying this - here is a link, here is an example. It's easy to just state, 'whales are this, because of that' and the sheep will drink it up, but if you present to them, yeah, but what if, and what about! They need to hear different viewpoints IMH and I did see several comments along those lines.

not so much heckling, but more like rebuttals if the comments felt misguided. Most comments were more along the lines of that is incorrect, or I don't agree, or look, studies are saying this - here is a link, here is an example. It's easy to just state, 'whales are this, because of that' and the sheep will drink it up, but if you present to them, yeah, but what if, and what about! They need to hear different viewpoints IMH and I did see several comments along those lines.
So if I am understanding you correctly, everything they presented was misleading or unfounded?

So if I am understanding you correctly, everything they presented was misleading or unfounded?

Seems to me you did not understand correctly. What I read from Deerwar's comment was that rebuttals were offered where it was felt statements should be challenged. That does not equate to "... everything they presented was misleading or unfounded" or that everything was challenged. For far to long one side of these issues has dominated the messaging without anything close to equal opportunity for challenge, critique and opposing views being offered. I am happy to see just a little balance being added. My thanks to all those who were able to attended.

Last edited:
Unreel
So just so i understand this idiot says they can talk to the srkw.Did they say "Hey Mr and Mrs Whale can I get a ride to Victoria on your back so I don't have to line up for the ferry that uses fuel"and "we can stop half way their so i can pet you and you can have something to eat because we saved all the fish for you, I know your hungry you son and daughter told me'.Its time to put these morons in straight jackets!!!! Shall we say a little Bi-Polar!!! Holy **** Ive heard it all !!!

Tight lines
Billydoo

Seems to me you did not understand correctly. What I read from Deerwar's comment was that rebuttals were offered where it was felt statements should be challenged. That does not equate to "... everything they presented was misleading or unfounded" or that everything was challenged. For far to long one side of these issues has dominated the messaging without anything close to equal opportunity for challenge, critique and opposing views being offered. I am happy to see just a little balance being added. My thanks to all those who were able to attended.
pretty much what you said - never said everything was challenged, but there were a few items (and no, I don't recall what they were), where some of us piped up and disagreed. Kind of need something like that when it was an obvious biased panel - keep them in line. They obviously don't pick up those responses real time, but at least other viewers and see them and form opinions!

I was part way through, last night, I just came back to it and it quit working

I got the video to work. If you only watch part of it, watch the question about 1hour and 15 minutes and listen to Misty MacDuffee stumble to answer great questions by Pat Ahern (Searun) from SFI and SFAB Chair Martin Paish. Thanks to both of these guys for speaking up and attending the event.

Last edited:
Ryan was able to get a question off also.... The event was very controlled and there were many others that had questions but they didn't want to entertain them

Last edited:
I would think it was well controlled because the ruling had already come down with regards to the change in our regs. They weren't there to argue any after thoughts. Sad, but that's how it works. They got what they wanted, they don't want to mitigate any further. I'm not sure of how well we were represented prior to the decision, but the decision is made and we lost out, as did the commercial sector and the coastal communities affected. Apparently, we need to find a way to be better represented. So far, the strategy of the recreational sector isn't working.

I would think it was well controlled because the ruling had already come down with regards to the change in our regs. They weren't there to argue any after thoughts. Sad, but that's how it works. They got what they wanted, they don't want to mitigate any further. I'm not sure of how well we were represented prior to the decision, but the decision is made and we lost out, as did the commercial sector and the coastal communities affected. Apparently, we need to find a way to be better represented. So far, the strategy of the recreational sector isn't working.

It's complicated because we got backstabbed, I suspect if DFO consulted us based on these measures, the recreational industry would of acted different months ago.

It's complicated because we got backstabbed, I suspect if DFO consulted us based on these measures, the recreational industry would of acted different months ago.
I have to be honest. I don't know how the flow of information gathering goes. The end result is we as recreational fishermen, seem to have been the last of considerations. This is where I think we may want to re-work our strategy. My personal thoughts is that there was room for everyone and Plan B would have benefitted all concerns. But apparently, that wasn't the case.

We have too many disparate voices. We need one strong group who speaks on everyone's behalf that can act politically and forcefully. Unless this happens they will cut us until no one is left to fight. No more lets sit down and work this out, no more quiet back room talks. It's time to take the fight to the streets.

And, this is the other question we never got to ask...about their funding source and the role of foreign cash being dumped into Canada to ENGO's to meddle in our domestic policy....Alberta's Premier has it figured out, and is vowing to do something about it! We are starting to awaken the sleeping giant.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/loca...se-krauses-research-to-crush-albertas-enemies

We aren’t sure how much of his speech he can actually come through on, people aren’t stupid we know there are laws in place on some of the topics he campaigned on but still, it’s a start, we are pissed and we voted in a man just as pissed as we are, it’s time to start to take s stand against these groups.

Hey did you all notice Misty's nice knee high leather boots, ok to kill a cow for leather but cant kill a fish to eat....*****

I would disagree with your statement. We had very strong representation by the Sport Fishing Institute and the Sport Fishing Advisory Board on the consultation during the process that DFO went through. The truth of the matter is it DFO chose to ignore their recommendations and numerous individual written input that was sent by sport fisherman on this forum and throughout this province. The way DFO went about this the reduction in the possession limit of Chinook salmon from 30 down to 10, wasn't even mentioned in the consultation process shpws the decision was probably already made!

The question that you have to ask yourself before you complain about how sport fisherman were represented at the negotiation table:

"Is did you go to your local SFAB meeting this year? Did you buy a membership in the Sport Fishing Institute? Did you provide written input to DFO during the consultation process? Did you write the Fisheries Minister? Did you call or write your local MP?

Last edited:
Back