Protest the ENGO's request to close salmon fishing

Will you come?

• Total voters
I think it is time for many of you to use your ignore option rather than add fuel to the debate. Speaking of fuel...this thread is quickly deviating from a topic about fishing once again. Non related fishing posts will be removed immediately.

I think it is time for many of you to use your ignore option rather than add fuel to the debate. Speaking of fuel...this thread is quickly deviating from a topic about fishing once again. Non related fishing posts will be removed immediately.

I understand what you’re saying, I also understand and respect that this is your sandbox. However I think these are all related issues,we’re seeing the same tactics of misinformation from the same few groups targeting an ever expanding number of our resources. It’s been known for years that tides and the like has been after our energy sector but it was dismissed by many in the fishing sector and on this board, now they’re stronger and more financially able than before and coming after more Canadian resources. All being driven by foreign interests, it’s proven old news. The more we can point it out and educate the less impact they’ll have. This whole internet thing is new, we’re just learning about the issues and ways to combat them. Silencing conversations will do no good. They won’t be stopping after fishing is shut down. No disrespect meant.

I'm so tired of this 'read my link' bs.

You have real people on this board that get it and actively contribute towards the environment and the salmon in positive ways every day.
They are regular members and posters here.
Then you have some keyboard activists, with no credentials, posting up some bs links from bs fund my activist lifestyle sites.

Stop!

Put up or shut up new activist bs spreaders. This is not about getting likes on your screen held device, or scoring points with your activist friends.

It is time for the adults in the room to talk and be heard.

Read the article I mentioned and then tell me that's an ok risk to have or the massive amount of tankers that will theoretically be in our waters. The reality is that there is no overseas market for junk bitumen and when has increasing the supply of something made it worth more kind of backwards economics. How many jobs could be created if the government spent that money rebuilding salmon stocks. Check out the hub in texas there wont be tankers coming here no matter how much governments want to convince voters because there is no market for our oil outside of the refineries in the states. Look up what the term being kindered means,when they went public in Canada lots of people invested on the idea they would be spending the money on a pipeline in Canada but they turned around and spent that money to pay off debt of their American company. The numbers used to justify the pipeline all use a barrel price of over 100 dollars our government is lying to us about the prospects of prosperity from a golden pipeline its pathetic that people believe it. Oil and gas is a net loss for our country after all the corporate welfare payments and subsidies if you factor in what we will have to pay to clean up after oil company have gone bankrupt it will be a legacy our kids will be paying to clean up for many years. But oh yeah build that pipe its the only way for us to prosper,those animated propaganda messages from the government of alberta sure must have worked. Show me one customer lined up to buy our garbage oil beside the ones who already buy it for next to nothing.
Yeah, there’s no demand for our garbage oil

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-...ds-to-huge-jump-in-crude-oil-exports-from-b-c

So I guess the feelings are its an acceptable risk, its not for me the so called better cleanup is a joke. there is no cleanup that will ever work spending more money on it is a waste of money that will be payed for by us not whoever theoretically buys the old pipeline. Subsidies and tax breaks mean that we are paying for some company to eventually take over and get any profits from it if any company ever wants to buy it. Pipelines spill all the time you just don't hear much about it in Canada because the media and government are run by the capp and don't want the negative light on their agenda. Its in Canadas national interest to build refineries not pipelines but then we would have to stop being a colony, if the oil sands were such a great thing with a future why would shell pull out. I wasn't trying to bring up pipelines on here but if you want to make assumptions about what im saying that's fine I will go with it. Im not a journalist so I don't have the time to look at numbers and report them for you but if you want some try checking out websites that do give numbers like the narwhal or hakai magazine instead of believing right wing think tanks that promise prosperity from an industry the rest of the world is trying to get off. Look at the pictures of oil covered beaches and tell me those images are acceptable for our coast not just some ******** about jobs

lets just keep shipping the oil down the rail then..Perhaps instead having the list of what doesn't work..perhaps come up with so sort of solutions because like it or not like it will be done.. that there lies the problem... stop everything and give zero solutions that are acceptable.... but in the means time lets just screw over the people that actually really care about salmon and for the most part have dictated there whole lives to fish...fish habitat and the well being of fish.....

Last edited:
Guess this got missed from a few posts back.

Hello everyone,
With no announcement of of the proposed fishery closures for this year, it's time to finalize the details of our protest of the NGO's request to close down our coast to Chinook fishing before it's too late. They are meeting at sunset labs 400 Herold st https://sunsetlabs.ca/event/2020-vision-rcf/ I propose that we gather outside at 6:30 to peacefully protest their proposal to close the coast to fishing.
Are there any well spoken volunteers who would like to be the point people in the event that the media would like to speak with us?
Signage? What should our placards say?
I know at the beginning of this thread I asked if anyone would donate money to fund this protest. It doesn't look like they will be needed, so please hold on to your money for now. What will be important is a large turnout, so please plan to attend, and share this widely with your other social media networks.
Also please don't forget the PSF presentatin on the Salish Sea Marine Survival Project https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...ts/duncan-ssmsp-talk-april-15-2019-pdf.44687/

upload_2019-4-11_8-44-40.png

Last edited:
So according to her they can talk to the srkw now and find out they only like to eat large Chinook 4-5 year olds and mostly Fraser fish cause they are tastier. What a crock of ****

I went to the protest last night.
Only two other rec guys showed up, there were about thirty or forty guides who came. The lack of participation from the rec fishers is disappointing. There is tons of chatter on this forum about people being pissed off, yet only two other people who's jobs don't rely on having a fishing season bothered to get up from in front of the television and spend a couple of hours to let the government know they have had enough. If we want to have a fishing season in the future you guys need to start to put your money where your mouth is and get active. Attend meetings meetings go to protests, write letters and donate dollars to the cause. Otherwise STFU when the government takes your rights away because as far as I'm concerned you lost your right to ***** when you remained silent and did nothing.
Rant over!

Only two other rec guys showed up, there were about thirty or forty guides who came. The lack of participation from the rec fishers is disappointing. There is tons of chatter on this forum about people being pissed off, yet only two other people who's jobs don't rely on having a fishing season bothered to get up from in front of the television and spend a couple of hours to let the government know they have had enough. If we want to have a fishing season in the future you guys need to start to put your money where your mouth is and get active. Attend meetings meetings go to protests, write letters and donate dollars to the cause. Otherwise STFU when the government takes your rights away because as far as I'm concerned you lost your right to ***** when you remained silent and did nothing.
Rant over!
there were several of us being hecklers online and cleaning up the misinformation that was being spewed when it came up as well - did seem they cut things off pretty quick when they were starting to lose their leverage (didn't even answer a single online question), but felt like it was good to get other messages out there to the clueless sheep that give money to these idiots. It can't hurt educating them so hopefully some of them had their eyes opened a bit.

there were several of us being hecklers online and cleaning up the misinformation that was being spewed when it came up as well - did seem they cut things off pretty quick when they were starting to lose their leverage (didn't even answer a single online question), but felt like it was good to get other messages out there to the clueless sheep that give money to these idiots. It can't hurt educating them so hopefully some of them had their eyes opened a bit.
Heckling doesn't do much to help our cause. I watched the entire video that was posted. What is the remarkable difference is the message they put out. We as sports fisherman all knew prior to this the impact these types of closures would have on coastal communities. These closures were inevitable, and when they present a well structured, multiple impact argument to the decline of early run Fraser stocks and how that all ties into the state of the SRKWs, and we come back with literally nothing....then who s going to win? We need to structure ourselves better, invest in scientific studies and have the right people vocalizing our concerns if we want to get ahead. The one argument they made, which I do agree with, is our reliance on hatcheries to bring back the stocks. Hatcheries have their place, no doubting that, but stream and river enhancement projects, protections of those habitats and allowing more wild stock to carry on the gene pool are much more important. If we are going to protect our ability to fish and retain, then I don't think constantly fighting out in the open is doing us any favours.

Rant over!
Very weird as I was told not to come to this and protest. I think there is a bunch of miscommunication going on what each group thinks is the best approach to this situation we all are in now. Honestly somehow we all need to get on the same page and get our **** together before it gets worse.

20190418_192629_resized.jpg
20190418_193320_resized.jpg
20190418_193725_resized.jpg

Have to say it was interesting evening attending this event... amazing the information presented with zero scientific backing & the spinning of that information as fake news.... I'm very happy i did attend to actually see first hand the side stepping of pretty much all questions asked....

Back