The Official No Fishing Vent Thread

All can look on the bright side of this, it will be WAY easier to forget salmon fishing now that its legal to alter your mental state and enjoy higher memory loss.

HM

All can look on the bright side of this, it will be WAY easier to forget salmon fishing now that its legal to alter your mental state and enjoy higher memory loss.

HM

Isn’t that the truth and I don’t believe it for a minute that this isn’t one of the reasons that law was passed. It’s a dictatorships dream to have the masses inebriated and intoxicated so they can move behind the scenes and do as they will.

Seems the time of talking and being professional to dfo and the minister has come and gone. Engo groups do public protests, lie in the streets, chain themselves to trees and get on the news. So why aren’t we doing something along those lines ? It’s clear to me that is going to be the only way to get the message and real science out there to the public and big media outlets.

I would love to organize this but I can’t guarantee I would be here to attend. My work schedule changes and is sporadic couple weeks on them off with no set rotation. Anyone want to take this on? I’d be happy to help

I would be with you, I would be happy to stop salmon fishing for a few years if it was part of a meaningful plan to turn the plight of the salmon around. An indication of this would be an investment of minimum $4.5B into fixing salmon habitat. I mean they had that to buy a useless pipeline so salmon should be worth much more, right? Until I see that I know these so called salmon rescue measures are BS, not worth a penny and much less worth sacrificing our rec fishery. I am afraid we are giving up our passion for nothing, a lot of angler run salmon restoration projects will fall apart and the situation of the salmon will actually get worse.

They bought a fricken pipeline no one wanted or asked them to buy for crying out loud. Paid 3 times what the damn thing is worth for what ?? No one out here wanted them to or asked them to buy it. They bought it appease, appease who for crying out loud. But hey they are Liberals, they own the Liberal money tree they’ll just go pluck some more off it. Don’t vote in a government that believes in letting business create industry and revenue no let’s vote in governments that own everything and control all the revenue cause that had worked every time all over the world hasn’t it.

I saw Mike Mitchell on FB talking about organising a protest but it's a fickle idea, They did leave C&R open. I would say that if C&R was closed then a protest would be a great idea,

IMO the best course of action is what you have done with your pub nights(cant make if cus of work) and try to get people that want to be involved. Get people involved in the discussion and then from there start thinking about protests.

I saw Mike Mitchell on FB talking about organising a protest but it's a fickle idea, They did leave C&R open. I would say that if C&R was closed then a protest would be a great idea,

IMO the best course of action is what you have done with your pub nights(cant make if cus of work) and try to get people that want to be involved. Get people involved in the discussion and then from there start thinking about protests.

Protest all you want...go for it...better then doing nothing BUT it ain't goen to help.
The writing has been on the wall for a year or two now.

Seems the time of talking and being professional to dfo and the minister has come and gone. Engo groups do public protests, lie in the streets, chain themselves to trees and get on the news. So why aren’t we doing something along those lines ? It’s clear to me that is going to be the only way to get the message and real science out there to the public and big media outlets.

I would love to organize this but I can’t guarantee I would be here to attend. My work schedule changes and is sporadic couple weeks on them off with no set rotation. Anyone want to take this on? I’d be happy to help

Well, I don't know about you guys but I have been chained and enslaved to my boat for years but no one noticed, recognized or gave a rats butt about my dire situation! lol

Every one who cares has only 1 way to change this crap. That opportunity comes this OCT. Until then hammer those that voted and wanted this crap sunny ways. Those who voted for JT got what they wanted. People stated that Conservatives were to blame for no salmon, what have Libs done for salmon? =close us down.

HM

Every one who cares has only 1 way to change this crap. That opportunity comes this OCT. Until then hammer those that voted and wanted this crap sunny ways. Those who voted for JT got what they wanted. People stated that Conservatives were to blame for no salmon, what have Libs done for salmon? =close us down.

HM

I don’t know where they get that the Cons never did anything for salmon. So what if they encouraged business and development, good. We need revenue to have the money to put back into resources. Some of the programs held dearest to the west coast salmon were Conservative initiatives. The very Pacific Salmon Foundation was started under and by a Conservative government and MP. Some of its biggest annual donors are conservative businesses and groups. Harper did not muzzle scientist he got rid of the excess that were doing nothing but living off the government trough. They put millions into hatcheries and enhancement as much or more than any other government in the past did.

You can put all the money you want into it but it will do no good if the returning stock is decimated in its spawning rivers. Until those FN nets are removed from that river all this will be for nothing except fill their nets. They did it to many lakes here in Alberta. Lakes that had very little outside fishing pressure were wiped out of walleye literally had stocks completely wiped out of them. For years the natives were the only ones allowed to fish during the spawning season and they set their nets in the spawning streams and rivers and did so until the stocks were wiped out and then turned around and blamed along with the fisheries over fishing. Complete BS and anyone with a brain knew it. They will do the same thing there. They will fish them to extinction and then blame the other groups because some where some place a long the line they bull shitted people into thinking they are some how the keepers of the land what a crock.

And these left leaning governments will always, always side with them and pander to them it’s been proven 100’s of times already.

Nice plug for conservatives, but no. Nice try though. If you like your perch tarred and oiled then fill your cowboy boots, but not me.

I don’t know where they get that the Cons never did anything for salmon. So what if they encouraged business and development, good. We need revenue to have the money to put back into resources. Some of the programs held dearest to the west coast salmon were Conservative initiatives. The very Pacific Salmon Foundation was started under and by a Conservative government and MP. Some of its biggest annual donors are conservative businesses and groups. Harper did not muzzle scientist he got rid of the excess that were doing nothing but living off the government trough. They put millions into hatcheries and enhancement as much or more than any other government in the past did.

You can put all the money you want into it but it will do no good if the returning stock is decimated in its spawning rivers. Until those FN nets are removed from that river all this will be for nothing except fill their nets. They did it to many lakes here in Alberta. Lakes that had very little outside fishing pressure were wiped out of walleye literally had stocks completely wiped out of them. For years the natives were the only ones allowed to fish during the spawning season and they set their nets in the spawning streams and rivers and did so until the stocks were wiped out and then turned around and blamed along with the fisheries over fishing. Complete BS and anyone with a brain knew it. They will do the same thing there. They will fish them to extinction and then blame the other groups because some where some place a long the line they bull shitted people into thinking they are some how the keepers of the land what a crock.

And these left leaning governments will always, always side with them and pander to them it’s been proven 100’s of times already.

Where do you get your info, your facebook feed? My god man.

Harper had to go, so last election was an easy decision for me. Liberals have disappointed me on a few issues so Ill be looking at all options again in the fall. Really hoping Pacific Salmon enhancement is brought up and strategies are presented during the campaigning. Ill be interested to see if Scheer is more then just an attack dog foaming at the mouth for JT, because I'm looking for some hope right about now.

He says as he stands at the pumps filling his vehicle with gas.
Again, nice try! My wife and me have been using for about 2 years now her plug-in hybrid with most driving in electrical mode. Barely used any fuel since, my truck gets only used for the trips to the boat ramp. I may have put a couple hundred bucks in fuel into my truck since last summer. Just waiting for Ford to come out with their E fleet of tow vehicles and then I will be almost free of the oil pest. Hopefully they will have E outboards soon as well, can't wait! Love being independent of fuel, saves me tons of $, I really don't care anymore if gasoline goes up to $2/L or higher with the little I use!

Nope sorry, I had to remove that last post. This is not about us attacking each other and that’s where I was going with it, I apologize.

This is about being pissed at the politicians and you are all correct all governments failed us on this and that’s a fact. Lets work together to ensure the next one we get in makes a direct commitment to making this right, “RIGHT” I said lol.

Sorry again guys.

Last edited:
You guys know that the liberals have been in power most of the last what 30 years and they have done nothing to save the salmon. The conservatives came in during a global recetion when most people wanted to keep or get a job to keep things going. I will be voting against the liberals. To each there own

Nope sorry, I had to remove that last post. This is not about us attacking each other and that’s where I was going with it, I apologize.

This is about being pissed at the politicians and you are all correct all governments failed us on this and that’s a fact. Lets work together to ensure the next one we get in makes a direct commitment to making this right, “RIGHT” I said lol.

Sorry again guys.
Good for you, walleyes. This is indeed time to find common ground and speaking the same language.

I am personally fine with electing another party.

They just need to take it seriously. It will require:

1) Significant investment in habitat rehabilitation.
2) Investment in fisheries enforcement.
3) Increased regulations on industries that have a direct impact on habitat.
4) Significant investment in research.

With all due respect you do not live here so you don't know what we had to put up with in the Harper years. Ever year we had budget cuts that seem to be targeted to enhancement and fisheries enforcement to name a couple. I should know as I have direct knowledge and worked with other volunteers trying our best to raise salmon at a community hatchery. Our funds dried up and our technical support was cut to the bone or just gone. I'm also part of SFAC/SFAB so I got a window into policy and budgets with DFO hatcheries and enforcement. Speaking of SFAC/SFAB some may think we are useless and it seemed that Harper agreed as we had that budget cut also and it was getting to the point that we were seriously wondering if that would continue. We were to the point that meetings might have to be over a phone just to save money. It sure seemed like someone wanted to shut us down.

It got so bad here in my area that I had to go to my local MP (PC Party Whip) to plead for an increase in the budget for fuel so that our local DFO Officer could patrol his patch. I remember the insane lengths he had to go through just to get new tires for his rig. That and all up and down the coast they laid off tons of officers and left many local communities without protection from poachers. They had to sell off their boats so they could no longer patrol the local waters. We warned them but they did not listen and we know how that turned out. The current government has been training new recruits so hopefully that will turn around. Budgets to hatcheries are increasing but they are still nowhere near where I would like to see them but there is hope. I could go on and on like most here that got involved with volunteering here for our beloved salmon but until you have lived it you don't know squat.

One last point.... Those salmon that we are trying to protect, their 4 and 5 year olds that were born under Harper and his effed up policy.

Signed : Tory thru and thru but not a "new" conservative as that's not conservative it's trumpism.

Last edited:
Back