Important Chinook Information - Feedback Required

Look, we have had many different governments over the last 50 years
and none have put the proper effort into saving the salmon.
Giving them more money is not the answer.
Having them direct it to the right places is the key.
You hit it on the head, if i no the money is going in the right place i would gladly pay 200$ a licence, but paying for the failiure of the DFO to manage our fisheries is a ******* joke just like Trudeau carbon taxs

I know this is a troll post, but...

I'm one of those americans that comes up and pillages your waters. If I buy the full license package it's about $400US. Last year I punched 4 chinook, and I C&R everything I catch on the chilliwack.

Secondly, fair to say most of the marked fish you're whacking are US hatchery origin...while conversely we cannot keep any unmarked chinook. Facts that have stuck in the craw of many WA salmon anglers for a while.

So I'd say it's a wash.

My guess is the reason DFO is underfunded is the same reason WDFW is underfunded...recovering salmon is not a priority for our governments. They pay lip service to the idea, but when it comes to writing checks it just doesn't happen. It's becoming harder to defend when there's a good economy and growing tax base. WA just "found" 880 million dollars it didn't know it had.
I don’t dispute your contention that Canadians catch American fish. I do however think this argument loses steam when you look at the big picture which includes your countrymen in Alaska. For some reason the fact that they are Americans and they harvest Canadian stock ( not to mention the vast amount of halibut) is often ignored. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think that Canadians catching American fish and Americans catching Canadian fish is part of an international treaty. I find this same argument from some when the topic is Halibut, it’s conveniently left out that Washington gets very little quota, while Alaska gets way more than does Canada or Washington combined. Not looking for an argument just pointing out it’s not correct to compare Washington State and Canada, you need to compare Canada to the USA and the USA includes Alaska.

Better late than never and I have seen no scientific research that points to it taking decades or even years to remediate the small area that might be damaged. Also my reply was to a quote that Victoria was pumping sewage into the ocean, I never said it was polluting the Fraser.
Not taking anything away from your message. Its never too late. Just wish it had happened a long time ago. Similar efforts along the Fraser should be happening as well, especially since the Fraser stocks are supposedly in trouble. As for a small area off Victoria affected is questionable since there are tides that move water and pollution for miles. For instance an autopsy on a SRKW found dead at a Washington State JDF river showed it had huge levels of toxicity in its body believed to be from toxicity in the food chain. There's research showing the majority of toxic particles don't settle to the ocean bottom like was originally thought, but a lot of it goes into the food chain very quickly. Think what must be entering the ocean from the Fraser. Its all death by a thousand cuts.

You hit it on the head, if i no the money is going in the right place i would gladly pay 200$ a licence, but paying for the failiure of the DFO to manage our fisheries is a ******* joke just like Trudeau carbon taxs

The license fees go straight to the general government coffers. I believe this is actually hard to change so that license fees get directed to certain initiatives.

The salmon stamp proceeds go straight to PSF.

I think the salmon stamp should be $20 (minimum).

Rather than increasing the license fee...add on a “conservation fee” with funds directed to other enhancement initiatives. Maybe another $20. That way finds can go the resource.

Something like 300,000 licenses sold last year and over 200,000 salmon stamps.

If the money goes to the right place it can help. Sending to the general government pot will not.

Right. So just keeping on trucking brutus. Change nothing. 6 bucks for a Pacific salmon stamp. Make it 20 what's the big deal. Guys I dont believe in what happened yesterday its all BS, but come on same fee price for years. Your telling me if you paid double what you pay now for a yearly license your not going to pay it and in good faith you hope that money goes to help out out fishery.
You are a blind man, i spend thousands of $ every year on saltwater fishing, you think i give a **** about the price of licence???? I would pay a lot more for it no problem, but paying extra for what???DFO does what with that extra money??? Sweet nothing
Right. So just keeping on trucking brutus. Change nothing. 6 bucks for a Pacific salmon stamp. Make it 20 what's the big deal. Guys I dont believe in what happened yesterday its all BS, but come on same fee price for years. Your telling me if you paid double what you pay now for a yearly license your not going to pay it and in good faith you hope that money goes to help out out fishery.

You are aware the Victoria has a 3/4 Billion dollar sewage treatment plant under construction as we speak right? The plant will have Primary, Secondary and Tertiary treatment which means it’s probably the most advanced in Canada.
The treatment will do nothing for the harmful chemicals that are present in the effluent!!

I can see just fine brutus. Like littlechucky says then let's make the stamp more. It's was a suggestion. Who doesnt spend a lot money fishing.. If you keep one salmon a year you are getting your money's worth for the license fee . It was just a suggestion or a question why is the Fee so low. I get it politicans who are in charge are doing us no favors. I'm not a troll I'm not Trudeau I thought I was going more trumpy stylz but I guess not.

The treatment will do nothing for the harmful chemicals that are present in the effluent!!
Look up Tertiary treatment! It’s the most complete system currently available, more advanced than the simple Primary/Secondary systems,so if it isn’t good enough for you, what is??? The most common sewage treatment options available are primary and secondary which most cities have, without also going through the final phase of tertiary treatment which removes most chemicals. Of course there’s s always the option of pumping sewage into your backyard septic tank. Wonder what happens to the chemicals there?

Last edited:
I can see just fine brutus. Like littlechucky says then let's make the stamp more. It's was a suggestion. Who doesnt spend a lot money fishing.. If you keep one salmon a year you are getting your money's worth for the license fee . It was just a suggestion or a question why is the Fee so low. I get it politicans who are in charge are doing us no favors. I'm not a troll I'm not Trudeau I thought I was going more trumpy stylz but I guess not.
Like i said before , if they use the funds to enforce the laws for all canadien that fish our waters i would chip in more then you think, but the big but IS, enforcing one of the biggest problemthats been going on for decades on the FRaSer river illegal netting of the mighty fraser chinnook they are trying to protect

Lol i spend 3000$ plus just on ferrys back in forth from langley to port renfrew, not doing it because a salmon pays for my licence, better off bying one from the back of a pick up truck aroung chilliwack lol

I spend 3000g in ferries who cares thats your choice. So you Just sit at your computer and shoot down a question or suggestions? Well then what's your solution brutus? Let's hear buds? So what I have gathered after asking this question is The increase on a license fee isnt where Pacific salmon can benefit maybe its the Salmon stamp we have a increase on and help out our cause. Make it the same cost as the annual license fee.

I spend 3000g in ferries who cares thats your choice. So you Just sit at your computer and shoot down a question or suggestions? Well then what's your solution brutus? Let's hear buds? So what I have gathered after asking this question is The increase on a license fee isnt where Pacific salmon can benefit maybe its the Salmon stamp we have a increase on and help out our cause. Make it the same cost as the annual license fee.
My points is its like giving money to a crack head, what is going to do with it??? My guess is buy crack lol, give more money to dfo or the gouvernment what is that going to changes?,?, gimmy something here dude????? Just raising the price with no result is a slap in the face, just like the closure we are all facing right now. Try to sell you crap to all the guides and community that are going to suffer over this bs and see where you get

I don’t dispute your contention that Canadians catch American fish. I do however think this argument loses steam when you look at the big picture which includes your countrymen in Alaska. For some reason the fact that they are Americans and they harvest Canadian stock ( not to mention the vast amount of halibut) is often ignored. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think that Canadians catching American fish and Americans catching Canadian fish is part of an international treaty. I find this same argument from some when the topic is Halibut, it’s conveniently left out that Washington gets very little quota, while Alaska gets way more than does Canada or Washington combined. Not looking for an argument just pointing out it’s not correct to compare Washington State and Canada, you need to compare Canada to the USA and the USA includes Alaska.

That's a good point and I 100% agree with you. When I said US I should have said WA. Alaska is a huge thorn in both of our sides because they (for some reason) wield the most political clout when it comes to fishing policy. They seem immune to any kind of harvest reductions whether they be recreational or commercial.

We WA sportfisherman have borne the brunt of federally-mandated harvest cutbacks over the decades due to ESA listings (ESA being a federally-administered program). While AK is somehow exempt even though it's the largest mixed stock area there is. They whack the fish whether it's from a robust population or one of the 90 or so of our stillaguamish chinook still in existence. I've long said WA has a legal case against NOAA for inequitable application of the ESA.

Good for pacific angler this is some of the harshest language i've seen come out of the sportfishing industry. Hope to see more companies speak out

View attachment 45053
Pretty much resembles my email to the minister. They deserve to hear harsher language and be held accountable for ignoring the feedbacks that they received from the advisory groups earlier this year.

Avid Angler Program.
Ive been a part of this for some time. Submitting tons of samples and info that goes with it. No MORE! DFO Your lack of respect for sound science goes unheard. Instead you base your decisions on Political motivation. Not true Science.
DFO and its bosses......your Pathetic.
Ive fished our BC Coast for some time....almost 60 years and witnessed it all.
So hats off to you DFO for NOT addressing the real issues out there.
Federal Liberals just put the SPIKES in their West Coast Coffins. They are GONE next election. Enjoy your lying twisted seats while you can.

Question?

Say the Liberals are voted out and Conservatives are voted in the fall (NDP currently don't have much of chance). Ontario has Ford and Alberta Kenney.

Are the Conservatives going to focus on this? They didn't in the past, they are not talking about it now. All I have been hearing is pipelines and jobs. I expect it to be a campaign on those issues along with fear mongering as the world appears to devolve into ****.

The people running need to be pounded with questions on this issue. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be the issue of the election at all.

Sad.

Question?

Say the Liberals are voted out and Conservatives are voted in the fall (NDP currently don't have much of chance). Ontario has Ford and Alberta Kenney.

Are the Conservatives going to focus on this? They didn't in the past, they are not talking about it now. All I have been hearing is pipelines and jobs. I expect it to be a campaign on those issues along with fear mongering as the world appears to devolve into ****.

The people running need to be pounded with questions on this issue. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be the issue of the election at all.

Sad.

Right, and of course we all well recall how much the Conservatives did for habitat protection and restoration during their last reign as Government....

Back