powder coat coming off

Wooly

Hey guys whats the best thing to do when the powder coat is chipping and bubbling up a bit, exposing the aluminum on the boat?

its toast....time to get it blasted and re-powdered....in my experience anyway

I’m willing to bet it’s either at a faster or was chipped. Once this happens it just spreads. I’m with GnB it’s done and should be cleaned up and recoated

Hail Mary would be sand it back using progressive grits then a metal etch primer and paint. Worth a try and might work. The primer / paint will grab the powder.

Thanks guys, it seems overkill to redo the entire thing lol it’s only happening in a very small spot.

It doesn't take long to go from a small spot to a big one once water gets under the surface and pushes the finish off the surface.

What part of the boat is the powder coat chipping and bubbling up a bit, exposing the aluminum on the your boat.
I had an issue with the windshield frame on a 2001 18 ft. Double Eagle. With perseverance and lots of patience I have it all sealed and looking pretty good for around $30.00. There is a system of steps that you must take.

Attachments

• 20170411_154817.jpg
    20170411_154817.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 20170411_154552.jpg
    20170411_154552.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 72
What part of the boat is the powder coat chipping and bubbling up a bit, exposing the aluminum on the your boat.
I had an issue with the windshield frame on a 2001 18 ft. Double Eagle. With perseverance and lots of patience I have it all sealed and looking pretty good for around $30.00. There is a system of steps that you must take.

Hey its just the back of the boat. Starboard side of my fish box. I made the rookie mistake of mounting a third downrigger plate on the back, and that has broke the seal. water is slowly working its way and chipping it all off.

Tell us more please.

Back